i'm new. didn't know so many people think like i do

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by tigeruppercut, Jan 9, 2005.

1. tigeruppercut Registered Member

hey,

my friend showed me this website. i didn't know so many people were so skeptical and logical about life like me. i've always pondered the meaning of life and really deep thoughts like you guys do.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

anyways. here's my first contribution:

What is love...

you love you friends, family, and people who are close do you. this is because you've built a strong relationship with them. you've built a strong dependence on them. they might have made u happy. they might of had a strong influence on your life.

unfortunately as i've thought deeper, i don't simply love my dad b/c i care for him. it's b/c i care for him b/c i don't know what i'd do without him. he's had a strong influence on my life and my mind instictively tells me i need him. i care for him b/c i care for myself.

love is want

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. duendy Registered Senior Member

HI mate....it's a bit hard to know what you are getting at, but i kind of feel you are saying that loving your dad really means you care more about yourself?....and you feel that that is NOT 'love' as you would imagine it to be...?

answering you as though you means that then
    it is a fallacy that therer is some kind of 'perfect' idealizes slef-less love. this is the spin that so-called masters, gurus, spiritual leaders etc guilt us with, whilst meanwhile SECRETLY just being like you and me--though many get all inflated and self-deny it

of COURSe love includes selfishness. there is nothing wrong in selfishness. we are a dynmaism......one minute we are 'this' then 'that' then 'other'....all the times our moods change, feelings change. so the IDEA of being some selfless perfect lover is naive

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

Ye'r a thinker, tigeruppercut. I like that.

Welcome to SciForums.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. tigeruppercut Registered Member

yea, sorry duendy. my post was a bit hard to understand. i hastily wrote it at 3am in the morning.

philosophical writings always require a lot of thought to read as well as write. i'll try to make my posts clearly stated with limited digressions.

what i mean to say about love is that when you think deeper about it and really question the causality, purpose and ask "why love?!", you (or at least I) see that love is really an emotional, deep desire. love is usually poignant emotions taking over rational reasoning. it's really just human nature. and then again, a lot of arguments about why humans act as they do really is just summarizing human nature.

8. bigal Registered Senior Member

Hello people, I hope ya'll love lovers, I don't know many, so I hope you are.
    I like Love, it's good. It's a force we all need, to function at the highest level I think.
    We give and we recieve, but do we not give as much when we recieve less or get angry etc? This is the love that we usually 'want' isn't it?
    Unconditional Love? Well this is for things that we 'need' and if this love covers everything that we need, why do we search for the 'want' love, when all we need is the 'need' love.
    In fact, wouldn't that cancel-out the 'want' love as not love at all?

9. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Many forms of love. You must try and adjust to so many types of love and that can be very difficult to do at times. Love of sisters, brothers, aunts, uncles, friends , animals, grandparents and on and on. As long as your OK with yourself then you should do alright in figuring out all of the rest. Just don't be manipulated by love for always remember this statement,"When you are in love with the opposite sex you will be blinded by love." That means be very careful for sometimes your emotions will not let you think carefully and you use your heart instead og your head to think with.

10. cole grey Hi Valued Senior Member

There are forms of love that are not based on desire or dependence, unless you want to travel into the vast depths of the biological. It is hard for the eyeball to accurately see itself without a mirror. If you have a mechanistic world view there will be no arguing this point.
    I would suggest you think of all the possible things we attach the word "love" to before you generalize.
    At least you are using the word usually "when" you describe your viewpoint of love. Sometimes we forget the "usually" when we do these types of things...

11. bigal Registered Senior Member

Cole Grey, what if you can have a love of being alive and not be scared of death, love the feeling of getting up in the morning and feeling great(you know the one...hardly ever, but good shit when it does), love of music, food, women, family, friends, work, everything even things 'considered' bad....
    I actually felt like this for a few months a few months ago, I even looked at some dogshit and smiled, I thought...at least the flies wont go hungry.
    You know, it was good to feel like that, every person you walk past, I wanted to talk to them, look into the sky and realize how beautiful the clouds interacting with the light are. It went on and on, I think you get the picture...
    And you know what was the only thing to bring me back to our so called 'reality'.
    The attitude of other human beings.
    Every other single entity I encountered kept me there.

12. an>roid.v2 Registered Senior Member

quote: I even looked at some dogshit and smiled, I thought...at least the flies wont go hungry.

Try feeling that way next time you encounter human face shit that can practically ruin you and lie to your face and then flip -- FLIP -- if you so much as utter the word "honesty".

God! I hate red tape -- but these people make a living out of it -- they feed off their own shit. ~Oooh, where's the "luv" now~ to get me out of this hole? Should I waltz up to them and expect a love I Do Not Feel towards them to alight and conquer? Certainly, justice keeps their stench well camouflaged until it's too late! (Thank God I carry a gas mask.)

But I've been watching them (a family unit and their tiny foul enterprise) and they ooze with luv and luv and more luv for one another!

Love is blind, and it can be rotten.

13. cole grey Hi Valued Senior Member

Love is the highest thing humanity has been able to experience. Love of knowledge, also is a form of love. Experiencing pleasure, or being happy, is not love, although you could call it receiving love if you were to get metaphysical. I "love" ice cream is a very shallow use of the word love, like saying, "it rained today", if one drop condensed from the clouds and fell. That is where I get stuck sometimes, though.
    The experience you seem to describe of loving life, yourself, and others, is an experience of true love. Did you create the love or did you experience it? Both I think. It seems this experience is hard to come by. At least you know what it is like and can remember what it is like to function at the highest level.
    The pursuit of pleasure, however, is not love.
    All I was saying to tiger is that there are forms of love that do not require dependence. Also that a machine does not "love". People however have an immense capacity to love, both selfishly and non-selfishly. Also, that it shows intelligence to say that love is "usually" emotion overtaking rationality because sometimes it is actually rationality overtaking emotion. Sometimes it is choosing one emotion over another emotion in a way that seems quite rational.

14. bigal Registered Senior Member

Love will definitley be considered blind to a rotten mind maybe...maybe pidgeon holing love into a catergory that is not even understood is blind.

15. an>roid.v2 Registered Senior Member

I meant, slimy people will also experience love (hence love being blind to slime), and if love is an ultimate source of energy experienced (stimulation, sense of potency, an encompassing, etc), then love will, in an odd round-about sort of way, optimize their slime!

Inotherwords -- love can not be an ultimate source of nobility.

Orrather -- love can not be an ultimate source for nobility.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2005
  16. bigal Registered Senior Member

I see what you mean...there are some cunts out there. Good thing is, I think they always give themselves away in the end.

17. SuperS32 Registered Member

Logical Answer: Love is actually a form of innate animal urges of lust combined with man/womenkind's need for companionship. You could also give one of those hazy "imbalance of chemicals in your brain" type of biological definitions

Fun Answer: Two people finding their soulmates and living happily ever-after (50% of the time atleast)