To those who post here and to the moderator

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by water, Nov 29, 2004.

1. water the sea Registered Senior Member

To those who post here and to the moderator

Often, throughout the threads, interesting and useful websites that deal with matters of philosophy are mentioned.

I suggest to set up a sticky thread where we could post links to such websites -- similar as it is done in Human science with the "Articles on the nature of human thought".

Each post in that thread should contain a short description of the website and a link to it. This way we can have a nice library of links.

Yes?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

This thread should obviously be on the SF Open Government forums. This thread was initiated more than one week ago. Clearly, the moderator of these forums is irresponsible and have no credit to be in control. Hopefully, we will impeach her.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

And btw..... I like the idea...

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. marv Just a dumb hillbilly... Registered Senior Member

...or when you come across a link you like, why not just bookmark it?

8. Exilus Registered Member

Wonderus!

9. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

10. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Why should this thread be in open government? It deals with the philosophy subforum not the forums as a whole.

The moderator of these forums can do what she wants. While I find Rosa's idea interesting, no one has chimed in with any interesting links until your belated infidels.org link. So, it would seem that interest is not very high and such a thread wouldn't do well without input, now would it?

11. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Because it deals with the structure of this subforums.
    And it also encompass a change in the forums, and that could be voted for.
    In order words.... it deals with politics.

Nope. But do we care? Why couldn't we come up with some links and make it a sticky thread? Wouldn't that be helpful?

Ok then. If nobody cares, let's just leave it as it is and not improve the forums.... :-/

12. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Yes. This subforum.
    How does suggesting a sticky thread encompass a change inthe forums?
    And, don't you think that if enough people posted useful links or a positive response that something might be done? Instead nobody responded for a week. And then, it was only you that responded. And not for the purpose of starting this sticky but rather just as a means of displaying your discontent at the way this subforum is moderated.

Your motives are impure. It shows in that you first posted that Xev should be impeached and then came back later with a link to show that you really did care about the idea more than as a platform for your politics.

Umm. It's been a week and you only came up with a link after your rant about Xev. Do you really think that making the thread a sticky would stir up that much more interest?

And, obviously, nobody cares or there would have been more of a response. Don't you think?

(No offense, Rosa. It is a good idea. But your idea is being scapegoated.)

13. marv Just a dumb hillbilly... Registered Senior Member

The first thing to happen to a sticky would be a flood of links. But isn't that what GOOGLE is for?

14. water the sea Registered Senior Member

My whole point was to collect opinions, suggestions, not to post actual links *here in this thread*.

I have many bookmarked, and I remember Xev has mentioned philosophypages once -- and there are other good sites.
    Finding them isn't always easy.

The point of such a sticky thread is to *share* what you know.

I can have my own precious link collection at home, but, like, I felt so unselfish that I wanted to share some of it, and liked others to do the same.

You know, cooperation and stuff.

15. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

I agree. It would be a good idea. It is difficult to find resources on the web sometimes. I have only a few philosophical resources bookmarked, but I'd share what I have.

What I wish is that there were more of a pirated philosophy ebook market out there. You can find lots of pirate ebooks, but I've yet to find Durante or Sartre or anything worth reading. Lot's of Stephen Kings and such, but I want some PHILOSOPHY.

Note to any with an OCR scanner and a philsophical library. Scan, scan, scan. Share the wealth. Upload it to torrent sites. Let's get some philosophy out there. If you're worried about ethical considerations, consider this. Ebooks don't replace paper books. They never will. It's difficult reading a text on the computer. Ebooks are just good for a handy reference. Or if you're too busy or too lazy to make a library run. If you like the book enough to have wanted to buy it to begin with, you'll still buy it. Or steal it. Either way, the ebook wouldn't hurt the book sales. Go Pirates!

Anyway. Yeah. I'd love to get some better links. Maybe even find some links to newer authors that aren't exactly in the public domain yet. Wink. Wink. Nudge. Nudge.

Oh. Water. Congratulations on your name change. May it do ya well. Long days and pleasant nights.

16. marv Just a dumb hillbilly... Registered Senior Member

...and...
    Hmmmmm! Have I missed something here?

17. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

It was actually both....

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Eh? Not at all. Both are significant...

If people are not interested in a good idea, that's their problem. Don't make a sticky, then.... (Huumm... that was a pun!?

)

If nobody cares then don't do it! But only because the thread was ignored doesn't mean nobody wants to say something! I've had many of my threads going to the second page with no replies at all, and than suddenly someone pick it up and it becomes a huge discussion. It has a lot to do with who is looking at the forums at which moment....

18. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Two things:
    - most relevant links
    - reliable links

19. mercurio 9th dan seppuku sensei Registered Senior Member

I think you did, Marv. The idea is to discuss in this thread whether such a NEW thread would be useful.

Anyway, the idea has merits, but is unpractical in real life. I've managed several link libraries, and they change - go out of date, or if they are on .edu sites, get moved about. You can have a dedicated bot to check the links, only to find out that most servers block your IP after a while because they don't like robots checking their sites...

Better idea would be - maybe - to give people a good set of guidelines to find (any kind of) information in search engines. Let them do the indexing.

Most people, I've noticed, have never even TRIED the advanced google options.

Give some good examples of how to recognise crap/spiv/bogus sites at a glance.

Example: if you are looking for something more scientific about a certain topic, set the file type to '.pdf', and the domain(s) to search to '.edu'.

I guarantee you'll only get quality stuff. If you're in the UK, change the '.edu' to '.ac.uk', and also try the '.ps' file extension.

Stuff like that.

Educating people still works better than trying to provide 'answers'.