Love of country

Discussion in 'Politics' started by GRO$$, Jul 19, 2004.

1. GRO$$ Registered Senior Member

A review of MoveOn's new book posted on Amazon by an individual reader:

*clicky*

MoveOn is an anti-American orgnanization that should not be given any light. They work against American values and they and the ACLU seek to undermine the very principles that guide this nation and protect it against forces that work against us and our safety and security. It's a shame someone even considered printing this propaganda of lies. It is also a shame Amazon would even consider selling it. Love of country comes by loyalty to its government not by working against it. Welcome to reality. Only the tree huggers of the far left will buy and read this hogwash.

(emphasis mine)

... does anyone agree with him or would I be wasting my time arguing?

Last edited: Jul 24, 2004
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

hum, why does mindless obedient to the government sound so familiar?

I think MoveOn is only appealing to those that dislike bush and his polices, which by the way is a larger cross section of people then the far left. Even so it's messages are not getting out to the people that need to see them, that being Bush supporters, and thus is like sping your wheels and not getting anywhere.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Undecided Banned Banned

Love of country comes by loyalty to its government not by working against it.

Hmm…fascism is much more successful in the US then I previously thought. I thought the premise of the US’ very existence was to disobey the government if what that government is doing is wrong? You know you rebelled against the King of England because he was…repressive. If that untermenschen thought pervades throughout the US, the founding fathers of your nation would be in shock. Love for your country transcends party lines, if you really loved your country you should try to keep the government honest, not absolutist.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Pangloss More 'pop' than a Google IPO! Registered Senior Member

Well, that's not *Amazon*'s review, it's one individual reader's review which happens to be posted at Amazon.

WCF: I agree, except that I think Bush supporters are largely aware of MoveOn. But ideologies tend to cancel each other out -- there's no beyond-ideology message there that's worth *anybody* seeing, so it makes no difference that +Bush ideologues aren't seeing it.

8. GRO$$ Registered Senior Member

I edited the original post to help clear up any confusion that may have been present at first, I guess it reads a bit silly now, but this doesn't seem to be too active of a thread anyway

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

It just put a smile on my face... I wonder if the guy knew what he was saying... I'm starting to interpret these things as sarcasm now.

I mean... seriously "Love of country comes by loyalty to its government" sounds like something Hitler would argue...

9. Working Class Hero Skank Monster Registered Senior Member

I love my country with an utmost passion, but i couldnt agree less with our governments policy. Governments come and go, but the country and it's national character endures. In spite of everything.