avril lavigne

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by johnwasteneys, Jun 4, 2004.

1. johnwasteneys Registered Member

Hm.. I decided to make a thread on Avril. What do you guys/girls think of her?
    personally. I dont like her. Like i know i think her music sounds too catchy, like all other pop. But is she authentic as this article claims her to be:
    http://entertainment.msn.com/celebs/article.aspx?news=159319

I looked up her lyrics, all they seems to be is about teenage breakups and how cool she is for not being preppy. The ironic this is the word "prep" is just used for poplular people, so she is the new prep girl isnt she?

What do you think?

(my ideas may not be accurate) I rushed this message because im late for class.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Undecided Banned Banned

She is crap, her songs are crap, they are nothing more then the usual "teen angst" BS we are all so used too. We need to get groups who more into their 20's so they sing about things that matter, and create real music.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Captain_Crunch Club Ninja Valued Senior Member

Shes manufactured; pure and simple. Theres no genius here but generic twaddle that is common in today's pop scene. It targets the young audience who dont know any better and fall for it. These sort of manufactured artists have replaced boy and girl bands from the 90's but have tapped into the 'Rock' genre to disguise it alittle. Itll die out soon enough. But until then, we'll be pissed off until it does.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. aw3524 Registered Senior Member

I never really liked her music, come to think of it, all "Modern Pop" . . . Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, their all alike. I prefer Techno / Electronica (Moby, Daft Punk) or classic rock (Styx, Foreigner, Queen) and I like some Billy Joel / Electric Light Orchestra as well.

8. Arditezza Banned Banned

9. sevenblu feeling blu Registered Senior Member

There is a skaterboarder girl who dates my neighbor's kid who looks exactly like her. Exactly... Once someone's image is copied to a point where they lose their own identity [there was an end to this sentence, but I forgot it].

10. sevenblu feeling blu Registered Senior Member

I just watched her newest video (thanks to the links provided). It was my first time ever seeing her "live" (being as I don't watch TV). I must say... I really enjoyed it. In fact, I LOVED IT...

Of course, I turned my speakers off and only stared at her panties.

11. StarOfEight A Man of Taste and Decency Registered Senior Member

I read an interview where she claimed to get in a bar fight with a girl who accused her of not being punk. If that's the case, that's kinda cool. Her music's still banal.

12. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I enjoyed her first album pretty much. Of course I have to admit that I tend to like female singers, everyone from Connie Francis in high school and Judy Collins in the 1960s to Joan Osborne in the 1990s and Evanescence as I approach retirement.

I'd give Avril a good solid B minus. For calibration, A Plus is Sandy Denny or Terri Nunn; C is P J Harvey or classic Madonna.

I just found a used CD called "A Tribute to Avril Lavigne" by a group named the Ex-Prom Queens. It's great. They're a better band than Avril's, the singer(s) (I think they rotate but there are absolutely no liner notes) isn't so homogenized, and the arrangements rock harder. It's nothing but a complete cover of the whole CD with just the sequence changed, but I actually like it better than the original!

I don't think much of her new album, I'd give it a C Minus which means I won't even buy it used. I agree with the critics who say she's trying to sound like Alanis. That's fine, perhaps she'll eventually find a groove, but she hasn't found it yet. Alanis has already mined that genre to death and beyond, so you gotta be pretty good to keep it going. The other members of the corps of depressed Canadian chanteuses like Jann Arden and Sarah McLachlan express themselves just as well but make more interesting, dynamic, and entertaining music.

For just sheer talent, good production, and a well-controlled ego in a young performer (or formerly young), I'll take Leann Rimes or Jessica Simpson any day.

I give her credit for not making her second album sound just like her first one. (Or credit to her producer or whoever made the decision.) It's a good move. Not very many artists have managed to stay in one place for years and years and still find new things there.

I'm watching last night's "Pepsi Smash" on tape and The Cure is performing right now. One of the successful examples of what I'm talking about, and I think they've just about run out of steam after 20 years. To get back into my female singer genre, Annie Lennox is holding it together.

13. alain du hast mich Registered Senior Member

"I have to admit that I tend to like female singers"

serious???
    the only female singers that i like much are lead singer of Evanescence and Magic Dirt
    most chicks seem to only be able to sing pop

btw, why does everyone say avril is pop? she is sooo obviously the punkiest person in the whole world, man if she were any more punk she would just die
    Just kidding!!!! please dont kill me

14. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

I ONLY like female singers. Singing just doesn't seem like something males should be doing to me.

15. alain du hast mich Registered Senior Member

come on Dr lou, name one genre that is worth listening to that chicks are better at singing.
    Most chicks are only able to sing pop, their voices are only suited for pop, nothing else

16. DerSteppenwolf Registered Senior Member

i don't like her music(if it's really hers at all). i think she's just a product being sold as an alternative to other teenage female singers. there are worst things to have to listen to though. i bet u can help with many examples of this.

17. Logically Unsound wwaassuupp and so on Registered Senior Member

opera.
    mmmmajkfhiehasfjklaeubj aebfg gewa gs

18. DerSteppenwolf Registered Senior Member

logically unsound, i recommend mozart's magic flute. just the music. or wagner's tänhauser. glorious.

19. Logically Unsound wwaassuupp and so on Registered Senior Member

heard em both.

mozarts requiem.. *cough RULES*

20. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

Avril Lavigne? I do not really like her, some strange pop-wannabe punk crossover commercial chimera. I cannot listen to her music, it is so banal.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2004
  21. Logically Unsound wwaassuupp and so on Registered Senior Member

just edit that to' some strange pop' and that will be fine

SHES NOT BLOODY PUNK

she is part of the 'pop-shit'

22. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

Changed it a bit. Perhaps it now is a better description.

23. vslayer Registered Senior Member

screw all this new crap, me and my frinds have had to dig up internet archive back to the '80s to get any good music now