looking for the scariest horror story!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by greywolf, Jun 3, 2004.

1. greywolf The Hellbound Hellhound. AWOOO Registered Senior Member

Hello all! Well im a big fan of short horror stories, and though i've heard a lot of them, I haven't heard any real good ones lately. So i turn to the forum for aid. If u've got a good one spill it. Remember the scarier the better

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

-gw-

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Edger Allen Poes works are great.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

A critical standard is, of course, Charlotte Perkins Gilman's, "The Yellow Wallpaper." I also know that someone (Stephen King, I think) compared Charles L. Grant's "When Damon Comes" to Gilman's tale for scary qualities.

And King has had his moments, though I'm hard-pressed for this topic to come up with anything beyond "The Mist."

Russel Kirk's "There's a Long Long Trail A-Windin'" is one of the best stories I've ever read.

Peter Straub, "The Juniper Tree." (I recommend the entire volume Houses Without Doors. It's a spiritual height of that period.)

General advice on horror-short anthologies:

Do seek anthologies edited by Douglas Winter (e.g. Prime Evil, in which Stephen King is actually the only weak showing.)
    • Do seek anthologies edited by David G. Hartwell (I recommend The Dark Descent.)
    Avoid anthologies edited by Martin Greenberg, unless you accept, approve of, or otherwise don't protest his co-editors; Greenberg, as far as I know, can't write, and put the "whore" in "horror" during the 1980s neo-Golden Age.
    • Gobble up anthologies edited by Charles L. Grant, who can write like a demon as well as put together astounding anthologies of other writers' work. Try his thematic anthologies, like The Sea-Harp Hotel.

Overall, I point to the short fiction of Clive Barker, Ray Bradbury, Charles L. Grant, Jack Cady, and Peter Straub. In the last twenty-five years, these have been, I think, the strongest names for the creepy if not necessarily the scary.

A few other stories I can scrape up the titles to:

• "Having a Woman at Lunch," by Paul Hazel.
    • "Orange is for Anguish, Blue for Insanity," by David Morrell.
    • "Beauty," by Robert R. McCammon.

Stories that slip my mind partway:

• Clive Barker - There are a couple of particularly awesome tales buried at the end of at least the paperback version of Cabal. The titles slip my mind. One is a sex-and-death tale, the other is a disease story in the jungle.

A couple of sort-of Lovecraft stories--writen by others and edited/rewritten by Lovecraft:

• Elizabeth Berkeley and Lewis Theobald, Jr. "The Crawling Chaos."
    • Sonia H. Greene. "The Horror at Martin's Beach."

(I'll stop scraping my skull now.)

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. StarOfEight A Man of Taste and Decency Registered Senior Member

"Masque of the Red Death" by Poe or just about anything by Lovecraft ... it's a little ridiculous, but he can write like a motherfucker. I'd recommend "The Music Of Erich Zann" for atmosphere, or the "The Rats in the Walls" for the neatest revelation of the Cthullhu mythos.

That, or "The Hunger Artist" by Kafka.

EDIT: Removed a stupid joke.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2004
  8. My Sexy Blue Feet Out sunbaking, leave a msg... Registered Senior Member

The ring is a good one, but the Exorsist was some twisted shit

9. aw3524 Registered Senior Member

King has a lot of really good short stories, same with Poe. "It" by King is possibly my all time favorite King story (its not a short story though, its a novel.)

10. vslayer Registered Senior Member

www.snopes.com , there is an urban legend about someguy who keeps hios wifes body in a glass coffee table and has a fake pic, first time i saw it it scared the f**** out of me, even after reading about how it was faked it still scares me

11. genteel Registered Senior Member

If only you could see my dreams. John Carpenter would eat his heart out.

12. sevenblu feeling blu Registered Senior Member

If you want scary, stay away from older stuff, because even though Poe and Lovecraft are classics, they are dated (as far as horror goes). Most of us have been desensitized. When they were written, yeah, truely frightening. But now they are pale.

I suggest "Guts" by Chuck Palahniuk if you can get you hands on it. It was published in Playboy a few months back. Can't remember the month, but Sable and Torri of the WWE were on the cover.

13. Arditezza Banned Banned

If you want great short stories... try Clive Barkers 'Books of Blood'

Almost all of the stories are good. The Yattering and the Jack, and The Midnight Meat Train being amoungst my favorites.

14. Enigma'07 Who turned out the lights?!?! Registered Senior Member

I read a short story called The Sand Kings once. It was sci-fi/horror combination. Not extreamly terifing unless you can visualize the whole thing.

15. onegreen Registered Member

Hey.. who wrote sand kings.. I have been trying to find it and can't.. Wasn't it tunrned into a Twilight Zone or something?

16. Zero Banned Banned

Scariest story?

Just walk along the Romance section in your bookstore. Just reading the bland, cheesy, pretty-pink titles that all look so similar will send chills of cold fear down your back as you realize just how well people can conform to the same standards of stupidity.

Feel the horror. Feel the fear. Feel the nightmare.

It will haunt you forever.

17. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

You want a horror story...ok

Me (look at avatar), hot summer day (95+ degrees), gardening, no shirt on, tiny shorts on (almost could be called red Speedos), sudden movement.....and.....breakage of the shorts (snapped right off)......

......me lying naked, sweaty on top of plants that never had a chance.....mix in horrified neighbors and legs spread apart in heavy breathing fiasco.

Try to sleep tonight

18. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

sargentlard....

EEEK! Now that is very scary thinking about it!

19. Thersites Registered Senior Member

Scariest {and shoprtest]: The last man in the world was sitting alone in his room when he heard a knocking at the door...

Writers: Shirley Jackson
    Robert Aickman
    Oliver Onions
    Henry James
    M R James
    Edith Wharton
    Algernon Blackwood
    Arthur Machen...

20. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

It was, the first two series of the Twilight Zone
    the best episodes imo

21. Hypercane Sustained Winds at Mach One Registered Senior Member

Holy fuck sargentlard you have infected my mind.

22. Thersites Registered Senior Member

George R R Martin

23. Oxygen One Hissy Kitty Registered Senior Member

I haven't really read anything that scares me. I guess when it comes to horror I'm more of a visual person (although sargentlard may have just cured that...). The problem for me is that it takes a lot to scare me visually. Exorcist? Hell yeah. Not much else, though. Everyone raves about the Halloween series, but it puts me to sleep. Same with pretty much all of the slasher films. Blood spurting out of an eye socket? Yawn. Zombies hold my attention, but they have to be done good to keep me from going MST3K during the movie. What scares me the most? (Kind of embarassed to admit this...) Dolls. Blank, staring, expressionless, you never know what the little fuckers are thinking. I have always been creeped out by them. There is a movie called "Dolls" which was the first one in a long time that had me curled up on the chair wishing the people on screen wouldn't open that next door. (Ending was a letdown.) "Puppetmaster" has no effect on me, though. Strange.

Since I'm a glutton for punishment, does anyone know of any good creepy stories about dolls?