The White Album

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by Frisbinator, May 28, 2004.

1. Frisbinator Registered Senior Member

I don't see what the big deal is with the White Album (By The Beatles). I just got it and paid 34 bucks for the damn thing. Stupid overrated thing!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. certified psycho Beware of the Shockie Monkey Registered Senior Member

Maybe the 34 bucks gives people a clue,Eh?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Closet Philosopher Off to Laurentian University Registered Senior Member

(from SNL)

Trebek: What colour is the white album?

Contestants: ....(long awrward silence)

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

The real white album contains stuff inside it like replications of passes to music events at certain places they played at. It has other stuff inside it also that many collectors want because many people threw that stuff away . If there's nothing but the records then you don't have everything that goes with it. One other thing, there's many copies out there so be certain that you don't have a replication of the original, that is only worth about 12.00 US.

8. Paula Registered Senior Member

I have an original white album that was bought for me by a Beatles loving relative when I was a child (oops, I'm dating myself) and it is locked safely away along with all of the things that came with it. It is in storage and is too valuable to me for sentimental reasons but it's pretty neat just to have one.

I've actually heard a replica and don't think the music is the best they've done, give me Abbey Road any day. Or Rubber Soul. Or Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. Or the red or blue collection. I have all of their stuff on vinyl LP's and it's all stored away. Now I wish I still had a turntable.

9. StarOfEight A Man of Taste and Decency Registered Senior Member

Jay-Z's latest and last release is called the Black Album, and some guy remixed the White Album and the Black Album to create the Grey Album.

10. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

If you want a good turntable here's a great one to buy:

http://clickit.go2net.com/search?po...ntables&rawto=http://www.all-electronics.com/

or :

http://www.samash.com/catalog/categorysub.asp?CategorySubID=164&departmentid=7

11. buffys Registered Loser Registered Senior Member

I'm a huge beatles fan but they are just a band after all and some people treat them like the 2nd coming. Their impact on music, their innovation and their versatility is totally lost to a new listener unless:

a. you were alive in the 60's experiencing it as it happened.
    b. you are a student of music and have studied the era.

Every unique thing they'd ever done was probably copied and recopied 10,000 times before you were even born, that alone HAS to lower their impact. It's a natural consequence of the passage of time. NEVER trust hype, even 40 year old hype... it will alway lead you to expect more than is there (likely more than is possible).

BTW - why the hell would you drop 35 bucks without even listening to it? I wouldn't do that if god himself released an album.

12. sevenblu feeling blu Registered Senior Member

The original white album has a picture of John naked on the cover... it is not really white. Personally, I would have stolen the music off the net or bought the CD, because owning something of lesser quality just to "have" the original seems against the beliefs of Lennon himself.

Sure, stealing isn't right - but neither is wasting your money on nostalgia when a better quality reproduction is available. After all, isn't it about the music, not the medium that carries it?

13. Frisbinator Registered Senior Member

I don't steal music off the net anymore, It doesen't feel moraly right to me, no matter how much people try to justify it. I think that theres a serious moral delinquincy going on right now in the world, but thats for a whole different post.

Because I did research and it was the only Beatles album that is supposed to be really good that I do not own yet, besides Abbey Road. According to the Rolling Stones top 500 albums of all time, its number 9 I believe, well worth spending 35 bucks on.

Thats totally not true. I wasn't alive in the 60's nor am I a student of music in that era. I own 6 Beatles albums and enjoy every single of them, I think that they're great. I also listen to a lot of other great music from that era and enjoy it, such as Bon Dillon, The Rolling Stones, The Beach Boys, and a couple others.

Seems like Metallica's Black album would have mixed a little bit better lol.

14. sevenblu feeling blu Registered Senior Member

HA, that's the funniest thing I've read in a long time.

15. sevenblu feeling blu Registered Senior Member

I was not alive in the 60s and do not study music and totally agree that I can never truely understand the innovation of the Beatles. I think you are being naive - just because you "enjoy" something, doesn't mean you can apprieciate the "newness" of it. Your mind (and mine) have been corrupted by copies of copies of copies to the point that the white album seems like no "big deal."

I love the Beatles. I love the White Album. But I don't pretend that I understand what made it so new... It basically sound raw to me, which is wonderful. But because I've "heard it all before," it will always seem sort of stale...

It's a shame too, because I just don;t have the time to learn why it's so damned important... I just accept that it is, because, heck... it's John Lennon. And just about every musician I've read up on listed him as an influence.

16. StarOfEight A Man of Taste and Decency Registered Senior Member

Frisb, someone did that as well. The guy who did the Grey Album's an actual DJ, whereas the guy who did "Black on Black" is just some dude. The Metallic version of "99 Problems" is almost as good as the original, but "Dirt Off Your Shoulder" doesn't work that well.

17. Paula Registered Senior Member

cosmictraveler,

Thanks a bunch, I really appreciate the info! Now my poor family will have to listen to those "huge CD's like they had in the olden days" as my niece put it!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

18. Frisbinator Registered Senior Member

"Appreciating the newness of it" is a certain way to enjoy something. Respecting the mixture of lyrics and melodies is another way to enjoy something. Why the hell would I try to "appreciate the newness" of something that was released thirty years ago? And how has my "mind been corrupted by copies and copies" of something that I've never heard before? That just doesen't make sense to me. Maybe because I'm "naive".

19. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

If you buy get the direct drive type of turntable because they are a little quieter. Other than that they all are pretty good . The Techniq is the best but you really don't want that, it is way overboard on price for what it offers. Have fun with whatever you choose. I still "turn a platter" every now and then on my old Dual 1219 turntable.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

20. Lemming3k Insanity Gone Mad Registered Senior Member

Perhaps its better and easier to understand if the first thing you ever listen to is by the beatles? I prefer the majority of their music to new music, and without them this new music wouldnt exist.
    Im neither, but i understand without them all the music i now like wouldnt exist, and they are better than most of it anyways.

21. Frisbinator Registered Senior Member

Alright folks, how about this:

I was watching the History Channel the other night. Were you all aware that Charles Manson thought that The White Album contained a secret message that only he could understand about a rebellion that was going to be put on by the minorities and would eventually lead to a rebellion by caucasians called "Helter Skelter", the name of one of the tracks?

For example, that song "Blackbird" was supposed to be about African Americans rising up against whites.

What I would like to know is, who here knows the true meaning behind some of the songs?

The ones I am most curious about is:

Mother Natures Son (Its a beautiful song, I'm just wondering what it means)
    -and-
    Blackbird (IS it really about African Americans becoming equals in American society? Sounds sort of like it)
    -and-
    Taxman (lol jk, that one is obviously about a tax collecter.....or IS it?)

22. buffys Registered Loser Registered Senior Member

people have speculated and argued about the meaning of beatles' songs since they were released. If you google "insert song name here", "meaning of", "beatles" I'm sure you'll find thousands of theories and almost zero actual, difinitive answers.

23. Mephura Applesauce, bitch... Valued Senior Member

Why is the white album great?
    Easy.
    Look at when the thing came out. 1968 if i remember correctly.
    compare the musical landscape of the time and then listen to the album. Then turn on any 'modern' or 'alternative' rock station. The music still holds up fairly well today and alot of it could have been put out only a year or two ago.
    In addition to that, the white album is one of the first places, and one of the best known examples, of back masking, tape loops, and sampling.
    back masking got a lot of publicity during the whole "i played this record backwards and it made me kill my parents" era.
    Tape loops and sampling? R&B, hip hop, rap, and elctronica in all its guises wouldn't exist as we know it if not for those two simple ideas. The beatles did them in 1968.
    that is preaty fucking impressive if you ask me.

Then there is the song writing in and of itself.
    by this point, they had graduated from the mindless pop ditties that they started with, had gone heavy into drugs and survived, and experimented with differnt sounds, instruments, and styles. The white album has many tracks that use a orchestral backing, horn sections etc, for what was one of the greatest and most 'complete' sounding albums of the day, and possibly ever. The songs themselves were laid out in a manor that allows for continous play without having anykind of inconsistancies. infact, many of them blend together, something first played at on abbey road.
    The songs themselves all hold up well, and the only example I can think of off the white album that many wouldn't view as at the very least decent, is reovlution 9.

Now let's look at the actual lyrics. Many of the songs are just fun and really have no deep message, but then you have examples like back in the ussr. at a time when the cold war was in its early stages and the soviets were being viewed more and more as enemies, including a song with lyrics like that was a slap in the face to many americans. Especially considerign the very american sound. musically, it could be compared to the beach boys.

Glass onion? How many bands do you know of with enough popular and memorable hits that they can afford to write a song just to go back and mention 6 or 8 of them?

helter skelter? the song will forever live in pop culture because of manson. but lets ignore that. Listen to that opening guitar riff, then remember...this is 1968.

The white album was ahead of it's time on many levels. Musically, its a masterpiece.
    the techniques employed in making it were, at the time, unheard of. the crossing over of so many musical styles and arangements is at a level of ballsiness that is unheard of, even today. All that, and it was a double album?? (the first if i am not mistaken, at least as far as 'popular' music goes.)
    They broke barriers for song length with hey jude at over 7 minutes and it still was a hit on the airwaves, at a time when most songs where about 3 minutes. (hell most of them still are)
    all of this only four years after they first came to america and appeared on the edd sulivan show. if nothing else, the white album serves as a pinacle of what the beatles were: a band that broke molds, and changed the musical landscape forever.

oh, and taxman wasn't on the white album

thanks for the great topic btw.