What are protons and electrons made of?

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by Nick Stenson, May 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nick Stenson Registered Member

OK guys, you have an atom, made up of protons neutrons and electrons. What makes up a proton, and electon and a neutron. And what makes up the element or compond that makes up the thing that makes the proton, electon and a neutron. Confused ? I dont know how else to ask it. Thanks

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Enigma'07 Who turned out the lights?!?! Registered Senior Member

Protons, neutrons, and electrons are made up of something called quarks. There are six differant flavors (varieties); up, down, top, bottom, charm, and strange. Depending on what flavors bond, determines if it makes a proton, electron, or neutron. I don't know what makes up a quark.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. PhysMachine MALLEUS SCIENTIARUM Registered Senior Member

Electrons are not made up of quarks, as far as we know they're fundamental. Protons and neutrons are called baryons, which are particles comprised of three quarks, whereas electrons are leptons, of which only six are known.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Krazie Registered Senior Member

strings make up protons, electrons, and nuetrons.

8. PhysMachine MALLEUS SCIENTIARUM Registered Senior Member

So some people would claim, however string theory is no more verified than any other fundamental particle theory. I'd personally be interested in seeing a thread of alternatives to string theory.

9. Krazie Registered Senior Member

Sure Super String theory is nowhere close to being verified, but I think that many would agree that it is the best contender so far.

10. Peter2003 Registered Senior Member

"So some people would claim, however string theory is no more verified than any other fundamental particle theory. I'd personally be interested in seeing a thread of alternatives to string theory. "

PhysMachine,
    Here is a link to an alternative to string theory. Everything is made of self-reproducing 3D-spiral swirls of basic matter.
    http://www.world-mysteries.com/toi_esavov.htm

11. Dark Dragon Registered Member

I think electrons are made up of little german lepricons. There are only 2 types, Hans and Gunter

12. Dark Dragon Registered Member

oh, i forgot, sorry, according to my geo teacher, there's one more call Roman, but that's only in Neutrons

13. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

Hi Nick,
    Maybe they aren't made of anything?

The Standard Model suggests that protons and neutrons are sort of made from three quarks each, and that quarks, electrons, positrons, neutrinos, muons, and taus are fundamental.

It's a very good model and provides excellent predictions, but the feeling is that it's not elegant enough to be a fundamental description of reality. I don't think that we'll ever know if we have a fundamental description of reality - how could you tell if there was anything deeper or not?

There are other models, like String theory and Superstring theory, but I don't know much about them, or if they've proven themselves to be a reasonable approximation of reality yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.