Thinking is Patriotic

Discussion in 'World Events' started by hypewaders, Sep 12, 2003.

1. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

As the American media continues to revel in another anniversary of the day that the tragic loss of 2,800 American lives mandated the violent end of 20,000 non-American ones, the detention of countless other thousands, the decimation of US credibility and international relations, and the freefall of national equity, my country needs to stop and think (and will not). Learning and thinking is nearly taboo and impossible in the cacaphony of propaganda.

Why are we compounding tragedy? Because it is Americans are unprepared to look at the true causes of this expanding epidemic of killing, especially when many clear and easily understood causes are found embarrassing to American leadership and the collective rabble.

As flags wave, bells toll, rhetoric flares, and flesh and treasure are earmarked for killing, it is rarely explored in public discourse where this whole sickness began. Underlying problems are continually ignored, while the costs of the ignorance accelerate and gain mass.

For example: Al-Qaeda clearly communicated the 3 main objectives in their 9-11 murders:

1. Mobilizing the Muslim world toward a new centralized Islamic era.

2. Antagonizing United States, by exposing and undermining support for secular governments especially in Saudi, Egypt, and Israel, physically attacking symbols of American power, rhetorically attacking American "decadence" with the objectives of inducing the US to overreact, which reinforces objective 1.

3. Establishment of a fundamentalist stronghold led not by Shiites but Sunnis.

Al-Qaeda and others are in clear opposition to US troop garrisons in the Middle East. The continued garrisoning of US troops in Saudi Arabia after the first rout of Iraqi forces was their stated breaking point. The more US occupation forces resemble colonialist and Israeli occupation forces (as they increasingly do) the greater will be the blowback.

In American discourse it is critical that we realize unconscionable methods ("terrorism") do not render all motives unworthy of consideration and understanding. It is critical to understand that military response to assymetrical attack can often be counterproductive to say the least.

In the Middle East, ethnic, cultural, religious issues will never be resolved through the display and loosing of Western firepower. Rather, such interventions will tend to focus frustration and wrath upon the outsider in unconventional and paradigm-shifting ways. This would also be the case if an outside power were to invade and intervene today in any continental American dispute or disputes.

A simplistic world view combined with hubris invites disaster. The world's greatest consumer economy must learn and achieve better situational awareness in order to maintain some sense of their present standing in the world. When enough friends are lost, and enough enemies recruited, we will become unable to live in nearly as open and prosperous a society.

Learn. Think. Speak. It's the most patriotic thing a U.S. citizen can do, and I believe it is the crux of life and death in the not distant future for These (presently) United States.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2003
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. truth Registered Senior Member

So what would your response have been, to kiss Osama's butt and give him what he wants? You know the Middle East has had totalitarian governments before the US was even a pipe dream. It is always the US causing oppression, huh? The actions of the governments in Middle East are the responsibility of themselves and their people.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

"So what would your response have been?"

Follow the money. Expose those individuals truly responsible, all the way to dissidents within the Saudi Royal Family if necessary. In the early wake of 9-11, the US enjoyed unprecedented international sympathy and support. Cooperation in apprehensions and yes killing of those responsible may have been very effective, and would certainly have been more effective than the immense bungle we are now faced with.

This would not be appeasement by any stretch.

"You know the Middle East has had totalitarian governments before the US was even a pipe dream."

Yes, I know that. your point?

"It is always the US causing oppression, huh?"

No, not always. But often, we continue to position ourselves on the side of oppressors. I can provide you with many credible examples involving Iraq and the any region of the world if you sincerely wish to know.

"The actions of the governments in Middle East are the responsibility of themselves and their people.

I agree. Let's leave them to it, and use our influence honorably and effectively.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. truth Registered Senior Member

I believe the Saudi Royal family is up to their necks in it. They should be gone after too, forget the implications, they should be held responsible as well.

My point as to Middle Eastern totalitorianism is they create the problems themselves and use the US as a scapegoat. If the House of Saud actually cared about their people, they would use that vast wealth to improve the peoples' lives, loosen up the religious strictures and let people choose and think for themselves.

Other than the Shah in Iran, I don't believe, though I might be mistaken, but the US has not set up any governments in the Mid East. They have worked with what is there. Most were set up or heavily influenced by either the Brits or USSR. The US has worked with whats there, I guess the US could topple them all, obviously fairly quickly done.

8. Microzoft Registered Senior Member

Extraordinary point of view and a pleasure reading.

But…. Are you’re qualifying every thinker as a patriot?

9. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

I believe that everyone understands themselves, others, and geopolitical challenges by approaching a clearer understanding of reality. In following the rhetoric of demagogues, there is always ready abandonment of reason. So yes, every person who attempts to learn truth is a patriot, even as imperfect but improving a patriot as I. When George W. Bush looks uncomfortable and conflicted stumbling through his scripted speeches, avoids questions and interaction with the public, I suspect there is a stunted Patriot trapped within him, if not wanting to learn what the hell is going on, at least embodying a troubled kernel of Patriotic realization that his own and his controllers' ignorance may be causing events to unfold unpleasantly.

Thinking is the single Patriot Act we need the most.

10. ranxer Registered Senior Member

"So what would your response have been?"

as a thinking patriot.. i would like to answer that with
    1. do not do anything that would increase Osama binladens recruitment.. if its one thing that Bush and crew have done successfully its INCREASE hatred for America.. thus increased recruitment for Alqaeda. this seems to be what they want though for it insures perpetual military contracts and increases the likelyhood of a military state for america and decreases democratic freedoms as we continue to reduce security by increasing our enemies numbers.

2. we could have strengthened the UN and worked with security forces to find binladen and wmd's which would have had more success than a large military force. empoying the war machine to fight alqaeda is like using a bulldozer to find a needle in a haystack.

3. we could have reduced finances for the middle east by getting the frick off of oil! damn, theres now so many reasons for this its not funny. oil subsidies make the price per gallon close to $14 dollars a gallon with our taxes paying the first $12 on each gallon(and that doesnt include health deficits from air pollution).. if even a fraction of that was used to subsidize alternatives we could grow jobs in america, clean the air, and pull troops out of the oil basin in the middle east.

11. truth Registered Senior Member

1. I guess killing 3,000 Americans is not enough hate. Appeasement worked well for Europe in the 1930s.

2. The UN is a joke, the US funds most of it anyway and then sends its own troops out too. Exactly what security forces are you talking about? The inspectors found little, did nothing, were kicked out.

3. It would be nice to get off oil, but to my knowledge that is not a real viable option right now. But if that does happen, what do you think will happen to all these oil revenue dependent countries? The problem will be even worse because they will have nothing. You think they have problems now, wait till then.

12. Ghassan Kanafani Mujahid Registered Senior Member

Hype :

2. Antagonizing United States, by exposing and undermining support for secular governments especially in Saudi, Egypt, and Israel

Saudi Arabia doesnt have secular government the House of Saud practices nationally Salafi Fiqh of Sharia which is one of the most strict interpertations .

Israels problem , even according to UBL , is zionism , before there is any talk of secular or religious state .

Establishment of a fundamentalist stronghold led not by Shiites but Sunnis.

UBL & his movement is Sunni and the groups they fight for are Sunni as well in the logic that Sunni is the great majority of Muslims worldwide .

It isnt about what Osama want it is about what the peoples are entitled to . They are entitled in a life free of zionist violence and US occupation , free of US puppet leaders that sell them out and treat them bad .

No before the US it was Brittish-French colonialism .

Not these ones

They are USA's best friends

Who gives Saud the power to reign as they do ? And no its not religion thats the issue there , its the 24.000 relatives of Saud that sell out the peoples independant of their religious practicing . As peoples there are very religious , religion is the biggest + in the eyes of the peoples and the Saud has misused that to keep the peoples powerless and stupid .

How is that any better that they were there ? Should the rpesident have been Amerikan himself to be of any matter ? What is this crap ?

Saddam Hussain has been installed by the CIA , Taliban has been given the opportunity to rule because of USA's assistance for the Mujahiddeen with UBL , Saudi's is USA's beloved business-partner , how about all those oil-states ?

13. Ghassan Kanafani Mujahid Registered Senior Member

I guess killing 3,000 Americans is not enough hate.

Its a laugh compared to the deaths Amerika caused in the Islamic world .

The UN is a joke

But when they please you Israel can be a state because of them no ?

14. ranxer Registered Senior Member

"1. I guess killing 3,000 Americans is not enough hate. Appeasement worked well for Europe in the 1930s. "
    revenge will bring us no peace.. i agree with gandhi 'an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth will leave us all blind and toothless.. there's just nothing good about revenge.. do afghanis get to have revenge now for all our collateral damage?

"2. The UN is a joke, the US funds most of it anyway and then sends its own troops out too. Exactly what security forces are you talking about? The inspectors found little, did nothing, were kicked out. "
    the UN is partly a joke becuase of our bullying.. i'm suggesting that instead of being a bully we work with the world toward peace.. then if it doesnt succeed as quickly as people would like or it backfires for some reason we are not solely to blame as is the case now. the iraqi inspections WERE working.. all we needed to do was beef up the support with UN troops and the last 1% of the wmd's would have been found.. but NOOO we couldnt wait for that 1% and they left the country as we were creating a humanitarian crisis.. they probly left the country in carts with the refugees.. again the analogy of finding a needle in a haystack with a bulldozer.

3. It would be nice to get off oil, but to my knowledge that is not a real viable option right now. But if that does happen, what do you think will happen to all these oil revenue dependent countries? The problem will be even worse because they will have nothing. You think they have problems now, wait till then.

haha.. that's rediculous.. you think bombing them back to the stone age and putting in our corps to control thier oil is better than a 40 to 60% reduction of reliance on the oil? sheesh that's pathetic.. there's almost no way we could move to 100% no oil in 30 years.. its a slow process.. they are going to run out eventually anyway.. are you suggesting that we will be responsible for thier economy when they don't have any more oil!!?? we can run diesel engines on vegetable oil RIGHT FUGGIN NOW! electric cars and busses for around town are available right now.. hydrogen for public transit(busses) is available right now.. chicago is one city in the midwest proving this a success.
    true .. electric is best for short distances only at this point.. but it IS reliable. damn.. better bike lanes would reduce our oil consumption by thousands of barrels as well. think about it.

15. candy Valued Senior Member

Ghassan,

Research the history of other countries that the USA has occupied they are not colonies of the USA today. Germany and Japan are doing very well and are most definitely independant.

16. nico Banned Banned

candy

You cannot even dare to compare Japan and Germany to Iraq for many reasons:

i) Both countires were westernized prior to WWII (yes even Japan).
    ii) Both had a history of home grown democracy.
    ii) The political phil. of both states were throughly routed, Bath'ism is not.
    iii) There leaders killed themselves, or were killed. *thus resolution.
    iv) In Japan there was a authority higher then the US the emperor who in return for amensty would accept American occupation.
    v) Both countries were completely and utterly destroyed.
    vi) They started their wars and they knew they wraught them on themselves.
    vii) There was a PLAN to leave these countries! *scandalous.
    viii) There was polticial will on the part of the home countries to re-build these countries.
    ix) The US wasn't the only one to "rebuild" nations.
    x) There religions don't speak of Jihad, or Fatwah against infidel's on there lands.
    xi) Most political opponants were killed in purges in the 30's and 40's, thus there was one line which most followed.

So I think Ghassan has a grasp on history u seem to lack.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

17. dsdsds Valued Senior Member

The best patriots are blind sheep. When someone starts to think, learn, and analyze, he judges his government based on learned facts and his ideals. If a person does not agree with his government’s policies, how can he be a “patriot”?

18. candy Valued Senior Member

Nico,

Yes I can compare them. Neither Germany nor Japan had republics when the war started. Germany's short lived republic was subverted by Nazification. Japan never actually had a republic. Today both do. Americans really do love to export freedom. We are ocassionally high-handed about it but we really do have the best of intentions. Our national concensus for the world is "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness"; we do not however regard this as a suicide mission.

19. nico Banned Banned

Yes I can compare them. Neither Germany nor Japan had republics when the war started

Since when does Republic matter? Democracy does, and both had indegenious democracy prior to 1931 - 33. Japan is still not a republic what does it make it? A warmongering state? Give me a break, Iraq never had indegenious democracy. And Democracy is the worst thing for Iraq keep your freedoms we don't need them.

Americans really do love to export freedom.

That's so sick, I can so easily compare that to Nazi ideology. Just beacause you think it's right dosen't mean it is. Understand?

We are ocassionally high-handed about it but we really do have the best of intentions.

ocassionally LFMAO

Our national concensus for the world is "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness"; we do not however regard this as a suicide mission.

Stop with the value judgements and make a real argument please. And to clearify America's part in WWII was not to spread democracy like this crock of B.S. So you comparison ends there.

20. candy Valued Senior Member

Nico,

There are no true democracies. Republics are the best we have.

21. nico Banned Banned

There are no true democracies. Republics are the best we have.

As EI would say Switzerland is a good example, and also Japan and Canada are not republics neither is the UK are we warmongering, and un-civilized. Please get out of the Amero-centric view of what is best, because it's wrong.

22. candy Valued Senior Member

Nico,

The countries you cited have republican forms of government. Would suggest you do a little homework.

23. nico Banned Banned

Omg this is too much:

#1 how can Canada have a republic if our soverign is still the queen?
    #2 Look for yuorself:

Canada

Government type:
    confederation with parliamentary democracy

Japan

Government type:
    constitutional monarchy with a parliamentary government

UK
    Government type constitutional monarchy

So what are u talking about? Me go study, ok Mr. Iraq is the same as Japan. LMFAO!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Ignorance.