Moderators should have a short course in manners and customer service.

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by heflores, Apr 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. heflores Banned Banned

I have noticed on this forums, specially the politics, that the moderators have absolutely no skill in dealing effectively with others without making a fight and cop verses criminal out of every episode. Being dry, tough, and blunt is no effective way to teach people how to change their ways. If anything, the moderators remarks are alienating people much deeper in their train of thoughts. I for one, don't find the moderator remarks any calming, specialy when the moderator makes a point to build his/her self ego by humilating a poster.

I really recommend a short customer service training for those moderators. Specially in how to deal with diversity, something that I find the moderators so lacking in.

I was under the impression that the moderators are like the coach in the game, their jobs is to guide others and teach others equally. The coach doesn't play, he sacrifices everything for the players and get minimal exposure to fame. I wish our moderators start thinking more like good coaches and less like Newyork cops.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

Perhaps if you responded positively to the intial contacts by moderators, they might continue to extend you the same courtesy. Others that are contacted by PM are understanding, or able to eplain why they feel an edit might have been out of place. Some have even changed our minds. Unfortunately, you are unresponsive other than being confrontational.

As you sow, so shall you reap.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. heflores Banned Banned

Thank you for demonstrating my point

Let's notice how goofyfish tries to handle an angry or complaining poster.

1- He jumps to blame others.
    2- He makes condecending remarks (As you sow you shall reap)

You definetly can use a course.

As far the PM, we should not be given the option to turn it off if it is the only method of communicating with us. Bad programming and lack of sight on behalf of the forum if you ask me. You should also have our emails, because we gave that when we registered. So no excuse. Poster on a strange site would understandbly do everything that they can to stay private and avoid unsolicited emails from others, it's your responsbilitiy to ensure that there's a valid communication route between you and a poster.....But it seems that you'd rather act from the position of unsolicited annoyer sending PMs than a regulator with legitimate trusted secure route.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. heflores Banned Banned

Sorry, second post (Don't confuse your hats)

Please recognize that you wear two hats. The poster hat and the moderator hat. The post you wrote above with the "perhaps" as the beginner of sentance implies that you were wearing your poster hat.

When you wear your moderator hat, your sentences should start with:

Dear Member.
    Our regulations regarding--------- states -------------. Posters not adhering to ____ you post was deleted or edited due to non conformance with item # -----of the regulations. If you have any questions regarding this please feel free to contact me via--------

And save the analysis of the personality out of it......

8. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

my perseption is we are more like umpires than coaches

we are admistering the "law" for dave who owns the site

9. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

B\W i am sick and tired of repeating to people what is written at the top of EVERY section

if the posters cant read they shouldnt be on a science site

if after READING that there are questions ok but please dont waste our time, if you find im short with people think for a second

i will have spent all day at uni, working my ass off, i come here to check stuff and have to answer another "why are our sigs not there"

why might i be annoyed?

sure goofy has similar reasons

10. heflores Banned Banned

Asguard, you don't have to repeat anything. Just assign a number to the regulations and create a standard comment letter for editing a post or deleting a post.

Dear Member:

Your post under _________titled_______ has been edited or removed since it didn't adhere to regulation 3 _____ as listed on the site rules and regulations.

Minimal work involved, sweet and dry, and believe me will save you on the personal attack back and forth between you and the poster.

11. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

Helflores,

Mods have a difficult job. They have to deal with members, trolls, and members that turn into trolls. When it comes down to it, sometimes mods have to be tough. It's the only way that this site is going to work. This ain't a democracy, it's a dictatorship.

Free speech is allowed here, but only to an extent. Cussing is not allowed, quips are no longer allowed, off-topic posts are not allowed, etc. You can read all of this in the "Site Rules" thread posted in every single forum. You can read even more of it in the FAQ. You can read even more of it by logging out, and going through registration again to read the contract that you checked. By clicking that contract, you agree to our rules. If you don't like it, then bye.

/CounslerCoffee

P.S. I spent time in retail. I know how to deal with angry customers.

12. heflores Banned Banned

Thanks CC...I have never had a problem with you....until you showed me your lack of senstivity....oh well, you're just a freakin number and data on the computer, we're not in the business of making friends here afterall.

13. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

Helflores,

I would rather you left, then get banned. At least after you leave for a while, you can come back. The longer you end up dragging this out, the worse it'll get. I cannot control how this site is run.

14. Maveric I own you all. Registered Senior Member

jeez, i have had problems with certain mods here too, i agree with what heflores is saying about the PM saying why a post has been deleted for example, i also think the mods should be a bit less personal, i have had a few confrontations with mods here where the mod has resorted to trying to make me look stupid, purely to boost their ego and look that bit more inteligent than me, heflores is giving you tips on how to make the forums run smoother, now i suggest you listen to her, ok some ideas may be crap, but then some may not, give the posters a chance to say what THEY want rather than run it for yourselfes, afteral, who is this site for?

Last edited: May 2, 2003
  15. AntonK Technomage Registered Senior Member

Dave.

16. heflores Banned Banned

And Dave is nothing in this type of internet business without his posters......We can surely make another Dave somewhere else if the Current Dave starts hitting his snooze button too often about site issues and problems....Dave must stay awake to stay in business.

We once had Xerox, then came apple stealing their ideas, then came Bill Gates, and oneday, someone else will come......Daves and bills of this world are indespensibles.

Last edited: May 1, 2003
  17. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

heflores,
    You talk about this site being a business and us being customers. However, neither of us actually pay to be here. I seriously doubt he makes money off this site considering how much bandwidth it must use. Also, you see NO ads which he could be using.

The plain and simple of it is that this is Dave's site... and if you don't like it fine. He is supplying a free service to you, and you are moaning like you aren't getting what you paid for.

As for the mods editing posts... this forum recieves a fair number of people who post complete garbage which should be deleted. I've had a couple of my replies deleted, and most have been off-topic. However, I've also had posts deleted that were very on-topic/polite and didn't seem to break any of the rules... and magically vanished. I'm not sure why it happens, but it is understandable that a mod may have a different opinion of what is appropriate. Sure, I'd like to know why something gets deleted... but it would most likely be time consuming.

(SIDE NOTE: How do you know when someone sends you a message? I've seen other forums where there is a pop-up box or something to tell you, but on here I sometimes have messages for days before I think to check them)

18. heflores Banned Banned

Persol,
    Whenever you have a large amount of people interested in a site, you have money. Money can come different ways. Research groups would be interested in the site data, advertisers would definetly be interested. It might be funded by a university, whatever....money is involved, there is no question about it....nothing is for free these days. As far as me moaning, I'm not, I'm teasing and getting back at mods bad behavior.....They can ban me if they wish......and I can bitch all I want given I can still click myself back into this site.

19. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

Research groups would be interested in the site data - what data? I'm willing to bet that a large prtion of the user data is false or junk.
    advertisers would definetly be interested - Obviously he doesn't do this because the users won't like it. Nobody wants annoying banners, and nobody wants spam. Also, neither of them make enough money to actually be worth it.
    It might be funded by a university - Now why would a university fund this?

The only source of money is the 'donations' people make when they buy the right to use icons/sigs.

20. spookz Banned Banned

hef has some points. consider them

21. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

Yeah, I would like the notification... I just can't see the mods actually doing it... unless it was somehow automated, which would require Porfiry to do some coding.

22. heflores Banned Banned

Fine, I'm happy with the mods now....They do have a difficult job.....My PM is on, please have mercy.

23. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

Porfiry once had banner ads on this site to help pay for it. But no one clicked the ads. So he got zero revenue. So now, in order to help keep the site alive, you have to pay for your avatar.

Porfiry is just a college student, and a very busy one at that. So we do his work for him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.