Sciforums Chat UpDate

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by Fafnir665, Apr 20, 2003.

1. Fafnir665 You just got served. Registered Senior Member

Hi, like i think you mentioned, the chatroom is not moderated. Well, a simple solution would be to just integrate a jave irc client, which, on top of the added benefit of being able to moderate the channel, it would also be ad-less, one of the major problems as i see it with the current chat. Since the chat .html just seems like a small file sitting on the server, it wouldn't be that much trouble to through a java client that would connect to an irc server.

Some Java IRC clients would be
    http://www.jpilot.com/
    and
    http://www.freejavachat.com/

One other benefit would be, the geeks could connect from their own external client too :d

Anyways, if you decide this would be a good idea, beneficial, or anything, i volunteer to code it up, thanks, faf

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Porfiry Nomad Registered Senior Member

I think the sticking point is finding or running an IRC server, which is something have no interest in doing.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Fafnir665 You just got served. Registered Senior Member

Would, in your mind, it be an issue to use a reliable server, such as dalnet, or afternet, or efnet, for a chat interface? issue meaning a question of legality? or a question of wether or not the server would be up when needed?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spookz Banned Banned

8. Porfiry Nomad Registered Senior Member

I fail to see how that is any better.

9. spookz Banned Banned

no? interesting. anyway it is an actual irc channel, you can use a client, have lots of tweaks, moderation, bot etc. a different network could also be configured i think. of course that is all hardcore stuff and i find parachat interface more than adequate to chat

this is the url i modified. tweak and use if you want.

ttp://www.mircx.com/cgi-bin/jirc.cgi?BorderHsp=0&BorderVsp=0&cabbase=jirc_mss.cab&Channel1=SciForums&DisplayAbout=false&NickName=&ServerName1=irc.mircx.com&ServerPort=8080&TextScreenColor=white&TitleBackgroundColor=lightGray

Last edited: Apr 21, 2003