Goofyfish Is A Lousy Bias Moderator

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by Microzoft, Feb 19, 2003.

1. Microzoft Registered Senior Member

goofyfish

No only you are lousy bias moderator but also a living thing in a time-machine!
    What that has to do with anything and if ever, why not in the thread
    of “Historical moments”.

Wake up, now days we are talking microwave weaponry, and Mid-Infrared Chemical Lasers like the Tactical High Energy Laser (THEL), Able to destroy two nice big towers without anyone being able to see the beam.
    Yo, wake up my man!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

You can, of course, show an example of this?
    This comment, from a member who posts little, if anything,
    of real substance is laughable. But thanks for your critique.

:m: Peace.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Microzoft Registered Senior Member

Show you an example of your Bias? You are starting to sound like Bush!!
    You forgot that you ERASED MY EVIDENCES?
    Once even calling to your hypocrisy while I was returning a blasphemy that you didn’t stop in time, and reminded you not to play the priest on me since you have had used four letter words before and even in one occasion you suggested that to another member. Remember?

My average post is around 10, yours its less than 5, ..most people that easily laugh may require clinical assistance. You don’t like my post? ..that pleases me a lot. Otherwise I will be worrying dearly.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

Erased evidence? Now who sounds like Bush?
    Sure I remember. I remember asking you to show this hypocracy in this thread which you conveniently ignored. But I guess that evidence was erased as well.
    Ahhh... quantity over quality, eh?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2003
  8. spookz Banned Banned

you are also free to mind your own fucking business! you take care of your finances and let porf take care of his own! show some goddamn class, freak!
    no one owes you an explanation!

9. Microzoft Registered Senior Member

What are you fucken all heat up about? And who the hell is asking you to explain anything?
    …what guilty conscious or something? Are you really wona go now into freaking shit?

10. spookz Banned Banned

err.... yes. i am bored!

11. Microzoft Registered Senior Member

Bored?
    ..I have a therapeutically effective remedy thread called “Jokes & Funny Stories”.
    :m:

12. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

Microzoft, settle down man. Don't cuss like that. Your not making your case any better... I think that Goofy is a great mod, and does a good job. If he edited one of your posts, Im sure that he had a good reason to.

One cannot mod in WE&P without being a little bias, it's impossible... Everyone here has conflicting opinions, thats normal.

13. Microzoft Registered Senior Member

Ok CounslerCoffee, I appreciate it and take your point.:m:

14. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

I understand that you might be a bit upset that maybe a "pet thread" got trimmed. I would caution you that open disrespect to a mod will not speak in your favor.

Say your complaint without attack or slander is the best way to state your case and have it looked at with a serious eye.

As it is, the thread leans heavily in Goofyfish's favor, who has asked you to show evidence where what you accuse is so.

Goofyfish is charged with maintaining order within his forum. He does that to the best of his ability. There is by far, less heat and flames within the forums than before he started. That speaks for itself and him.

15. spookz Banned Banned

i am still bored so i will address goofy this time.

why the edit here

bravo=good job, bra fucking vo=very good job.

you do not think profanity is a valid form of expression in politics? for once i wasnt being potty mouthed towards another poster (in which case a mod has every right to edit the post). but this? fairly innoccuous in my opinion.

what would you do if i posted a snippet of that notorious pottymouth, richard nixon? would you snip the cuss words out too? and then if all historical records were to vanish of the face of the earth excepting for sciforums database, future generation would think old nixon as a well spoken president, wouldnt you say? historians investigating this period would pronounce the sciforums culture as one of rampant censorship! they would then finger you and young radicals would revile you as the grand inquisitor. a right wing nutcase!(heaven forbid!)

what do you have to say for yourself o grand moderator goofy?
    how do you intend to counter these awful charges?
    what kind of legacy do you want leave behind after death comes a calling?

damned/remembered? damned/forgotten?forgotton/remembered? damned/damned? forgott..........................

i demand you promptly address these heinous accusations.

love
    spook

16. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

Goofy is a superb moderator. I have nothing against the way he works around here. Keep up the great work

17. Microzoft Registered Senior Member

First, my original comment to him was concerning my dislike to what I have considered as bias-actions, didn’t insulted him or addressed him with four-letter words. So, let’s no overreact unnecessarily, there is always time for that.

Seconds, Mod’s work is appreciated, but no Mod is pressurized to be one. And Mod’s are not God’s in this arena, but individuals that have accepted the responsibility and difficult task of moderation. Like, in everything there are good ones and not so good ones, as simple as that. And as simple as that, any member has the right to expose a comment.

Third, I could not post the evidence because the exact incident was totally erased together the message from Kyle_S that was hassling me at the time.

You disagree with my comments, that’s perfectly OK. You appreciate Mod’s job, so I do too, You think Goodfyfish is great, OK at least now you had the opportunity to say it.

So what is your CAUTION about disrespect? We could certainly start a thread discussing the definition of that couldn’t we?

18. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

No, I actually do not think it necessary. There are a multitude of words to chose from that can convey a more precise meaning.
    For you, very innocuous. But there has to be a line. "Shit", "bastard", "asshole" and many others seldom cause me to bat an eye unless they are used to insult another member, or used just to be obnoxious. "Fuck", "cunt" and their ilk will get wiped each time I see them. Even when not used as a direct insult, they are often inflammatory, and the responding posts escalates, as does next the reply, and so on. It is easier to blow out a match than put out a forest fire.
    Nope. However, if tricky Dick were around and posting in the WE&P forum, he would be edited as heavily as any other member.

19. spookz Banned Banned

bra fucking vo!

20. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

So that other members can know both halves of this comment: Forceful challenges? Yes. But I have never felt Microzoft's posts or PM's to be disrespectful.

21. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

The real question

Goofyfish, as a moderator, is doing just fine.

I think the underlying question--the real question--is What do we want from Sciforums?

Just a show of hands--how many people here remember my titanic rows with Adam? How about the more recent exchanges between nPA and GW? Does anyone remember KalvinB's "jackass" tantrum?

Our moderators have been good over the long run about letting vociferous, and even profane, arguments carry on--provided they continue to contribute to the topic. That's why Adam and I were left to beat each other senseless; why nPA and GW were shut down; why KalvinB was told to calm the fuck down.

In the past, I've had rounds with moderators over profanity censoring; heck, if people are complaining, people are complaining. It's not my favorite way of resolving the issue, but I understand.

In the grand scheme of things, I remember Dave taking heat from a couple of posters about a banning that was effected merely because the poster was annoying. Over time, the moderation stayed quiet, and the forums got chaotic. Someone inquired once about the condition of the discussions, and as I recall, Dave noted something to the effect of, "I would moderate more but they really seem determined to carry on this way."

After a while, all that got too much for anyone to handle. Moderators reexamined their priorities and set about trying to fix the place.

Now people are complaining because the moderators are doing their job.

Free speech is not in effect here. And at some point, I do expect our moderators to put their various feet down.

Of note to me, personally, is the fact that so few of the topics in question are of concern to me. So no, I haven't seen the before and after, but I do think the moderators are taking a little more heat than necessary. Consider: what of content and value was moderated? What within the terms of agreement was censored?

What do we expect of Sciforums? And is that realistic?

thanx,
    Tiassa

22. pumpkinsaren'torange Registered Senior Member

ya gotta love that avatar of his, however.....it's mesmerizing...sometimes i sit for minutes at a time and stare at that blinking, *fill in the blank with any other adjective of preference* fish of his!

23. spookz Banned Banned

now i always thought of the tos as something that can be invoked as a last resort. it is the forum's form of insurance in case things get out of hand. a safety valve?....a safety something! however it also a fact that we as a community have far more relaxed standards governing our activities here than the tos would allow for (owner and the mods being enlightened and shit). it is just like in real life when a law stays in the books but is never enforced due to evolving social expectations. perhaps if nudism were legalised we wont have pics being censored here either. i want sciforums more enlightened, more flexible and open to new shit than anything you would get out there in real life (my own little utopia!)

so the rules that governs the whole forum is the tos. but we also have the unwritten rules and an informal code of conduct that allow us more freedoms that the tos would allow for. a slightly sticky point is that there is no real consensus (imo) across the board as to what these are. for instance, mod a might allow this while mod b will not. (theoretical scenario only- i do not know if there are instances of it here and am too lazy to find out) if this is indeed the case, it would appear that a mod is free to have his own little fiefdom in sciforums run according to his/her standards. this makes me uncomfortable. nor does it seem particularly rational or fair. perhaps a discussion backstage....?

i am used to what sciforums is now. i hate change. i usually slouch on a chair. dont make me sit up. look what happening outside! more laws, spying, encroachment, nazis! lets not follow suit!

ps may the spirit of lenin/lennon be with all!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2003