Waterbed pros and cons

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Bachus, Jan 8, 2003.

1. Bachus Registered Senior Member

Do any of you have hand on experience with waterbeds? I want to buy one and not sure what to look for. Any major downsides of waterbeds (apart from the weight)?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. A Canadian Why talk? When you can listen? Registered Senior Member

my parents had a water bed, when me and my brother were kids we would jump off a desk and do flips onto it. then a couple years after that my parents woke up in a big puddle of water.....

oh and i think you gotta change the water in them beds every couple years or something....

i had a snooze in this chicks waterbed once after being piss drunk. the window was open most of the night and the water bed was cold to the touch.... froze my nadddds man!

waterbeds are GREAT but yah they do cuase problems

just make sure you dont have a water bed in an apartment. it might break and leak into the persons room below ruining his 5000 stero system... he wont be too please

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

oh and dont get a water bed if you have cats or a girlfriend with LONG nails

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Microzoft Registered Senior Member

My first advice, …..Don’t ask waterbed dealers for advice.

Waterbed are fun only if some one else’s has it. Otherwise, they are cold
    and in the long term damaging to your spine. It also dissipates tremendous
    body heat for which the body mechanism has to be continuously active.

Of course, there are heated waterbed but I don’t know the statistics on accidental electrocutions!

Anyhow, check medical sources in the internet.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Maveric I own you all. Registered Senior Member

id of thought peircings where a problem, like if they came out in the night and peirced the bed, how thick is the rubbery stuff?

8. Maveric I own you all. Registered Senior Member

Re: Re: Waterbed pros and cons

but look on the bright side....you will have fun untill you are electrocuted, so there is a plus side to them.

9. Microzoft Registered Senior Member

Re: Re: Re: Waterbed pros and cons

There are cheaper way to get that kick!

10. Maveric I own you all. Registered Senior Member

they probably last longer too.

11. pumpkinsaren'torange Registered Senior Member

they make me sea-sick. i prefer those tempur-pedic mattresses...you know..the one's that they say/claim were developed for NASA (dubious). i think they call the stuff "memory foam" ..man! those are some good sleeping!

12. Bachus Registered Senior Member

Don't get sea-sick easily

. I actually like waterbeds, slept in them on a few occasions just haven't owned one yet

13. fadingCaptain are you a robot? Valued Senior Member

I slept on big king size waterbed for a couple years in an old apartment. I thought it was gonna fall through the floor but luckily never did.

It was fun for sex. I mean really fun.

But I got sick of it and I don't think it was very good for my back...

It is a pain in the ass at first to fill and stuff. If you get one make sure you get a good thick one....

14. reformedtopunk got punk? Registered Senior Member

pieces of shit!

I hate waterbeds, they make all kinds of splashing noises, they have waves, they hurt my back, and they are a pain in the ass.

Don't get one. Thats my advice.

15. EVEEEEELLLL!!!!

My granfparents used one for years. You do have to replave the water occasionally.

They are terrible in my opinion.

16. NightFall Lazy Hedonist Valued Senior Member

ex waterbed owner

waterbeds will collect holes easily if you have pets with claws, no matter how careful you are, you will wake up in the morning, with wet socks and holes in your bed.

when i finally got rid of my bed, it had some 22 holes in it from my front-declawed cat. while the holes are quick to fix, it gets annoying.

also, if you are a germie-cautious person, you might not like them. you can't just flip the mattress over and clean your bed regularly. if something falls between the bedframe and the watermatress, its probably gone for good.

water isn't very supportive, and the beds can cause back problems quickly if your not careful, especially if it looses any water. so watch those leaks... thats right.. constant refilling.

heat. you can set the heat of your water bed to various temperatures, which is great in the winter, and in summer. but.. while ythe cold may feel good when you lay down and it is hot outside, is gonna hurt when you get up in the morning.. and.. be careful you don't let anything fall onto the bed that may melt. crayons, candles, (carmel popcorn).

waterbeds smell. and its not becuase they arn't clean, it is becuase they are made of rubber.

lastly. unless you get a large waterbed, and don't sleep near eachother, waterbeds are made for one. when a person lays down in a water bed, it creates a valley, you will spend the rest of the next rolling onto eachother. (unless this is a good thing).

My sugesstion: if you are really against an everyday spring mattress, or just dying to have water.. get one of those with the sperate water pockets all throught the bed.. its will help with the support, and they are covered with a regular mattress top, so i wouldn't imagine they would smell, no worries about holes, melting, or falling onto the person next to you. only bad part, they can be costly..

17. Bachus Registered Senior Member

Re: ex waterbed owner

Want one with 180x200 (cm) Should be big enough for 2 people without bumping into eachother. This wil have those seperate waterpockets you speak of.

Anyways thanks for the advice all

18. Bachus Registered Senior Member

didn't know that :bugeye:

19. NightFall Lazy Hedonist Valued Senior Member

woah woah wah.. dont go confusin us americans. there must be a simpler way than cm... lol.. anyone know what that is in feet?

20. Bachus Registered Senior Member

5,84 feet by 6.49 feet

21. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Had several.

There is an additive that you put into the bed before you fill it that keeps the water from developing germs, fungus, ect.

If you do get one, refuse to have one without a heater. Cold water will sap your body heat and you will wake up miserable and cold.

They are a bitch to change sheets on. You must buy specially tailored sheets with pockets in the corners or face the continual task of tucking the sheets back in.

There are waveless beds that do not have the rolling motion that many of the owners make mention of within this thread. Waveless takes half the fun out of sex though.

A properly set up water bed will have no more weight per foot than a refridgerator would.

Always use a liner for containing any accidental water leaks. That way your carpet will stay dry even if you spring a leak.

Never own a water bed unless you own a water hose and a patch kit. Bet the store will not be open at midnight when you need a patch. I have never had a leak though I have owned 2 water beds.

Make up your mind what you like best, cats or water beds. The two do not mix.

Sloshing sounds can be prevented by removing the air within the bed.

Under filling will have your back bumping the bottom and over filling will have you rolling to the edges of the bed.

22. GramJ Registered Member

Waterbeds are Awesome!

Thank you for the information on the pros and cons of waterbeds. I have slept on waterbeds before and found them delightfully comfortable, but I am a fan of softer mattresses. BoydFlotation.com

23. gmilam Valued Senior Member

My girlfriend used to have one. I hated it.

Cold - and yes, hers had a heater.
    Way too soft, I kept waking up with a backache.