Regional Linguistics

Discussion in 'Linguistics' started by keith1, Jun 29, 2012.

1. keith1 Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2012
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

No offence dude..but that was 16 words that pretended to be a sentence.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. keith1 Guest

Offense is spelled "offense", dude. None taken. And it looks like 18 words, so maybe you weren't addressing me.
    But, while we're communicating, I've always wondered about your avatar. I mean, you're bent over and "MacGyver" is slang for "taking the tool".
    I just shrugged it off as an innocent and fair-natured attempt to photograph from a different angle, to maybe talk down at a level to the little children, whose single-parent mom's at this site might find inspiring. Or...that I find it slightly askew is maybe my male sensors are detecting a female with a "tool-time" avatar.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

Sorry..it made sense after I sobered up.

For my avatar...it comes from this pic:

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I love the smile on my face..its why I use it..that is the face of someone who is baked like a cake, drunk as a skunk...about to have sex in the hot tub kinda face.

8. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

* * * * NOTE FROM THE LINGUISTICS MODERATOR * * * *

"Offence," "defence, "licence," etc., are standard British spelling, guv'nor. Make sure you've got all your facts next time before you jump on somebody. British spelling is perfectly acceptable in unedited writing in the United States.

9. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Not to mention the fact that some portion of the posters on this board are from (gasp) places other than the US that (generally) adhere to the British spellings of words, rather than the American spellings.

10. R1D2 many leagues under the sea. Valued Senior Member

I never knew there were words like offense that was spelled different in the U.S. Vs England. Let alone others.

That's cool to me...
    There should be a more knowledgeable person to make a thread on that...

11. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

The one I routinely fall victim to is colour versus color.

I was taught colour all through school, because that's the way we roll here.

However, all of the major programming languages are in American-english, so you can imagine my confusion using colour commands in GW-BASIC (or nearly anything else) and getting Syntax errors and what-not.

12. R1D2 many leagues under the sea. Valued Senior Member

I am a terrible speller. I get errors all the time. I think being here has helped a little but I understand what you mean..

13. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Are you actually this ignorant? Or are you just putting on a special act for Sciforums readers?

14. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

This doesn't even make sense as a response to my statement.

Do you actually think that usage of the word dude is confined to the US? (Answer: No, it isn't.)
    Do you actually think that aspects of American popular culture have not been incoporated into British popular culture? (Answer: No, aspects of American culture have been widely disseminated throughout the globe.)
    Do you think the word is exclusive to the American language? (Answer: No, the most likely origin is the abbreviation of a German word, among German settlers that means lazy fellow or foolish fellow.)

So there's nothing that can reasonably be infered from the use of Dude with the british spelling of Offence other than the fact that the poster lives in a UK-english speaking country and watches The Simpsons, has seen 'City Slickers' (which features a dude ranch), 'Dude, where's my car', 'That Seventies Show', nearly any Cheech and Chong movie, Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Finding Nemo, or any other of literaly hundreds of pieces of TV, Movie or Literature that have been shown throughout the world since the end of World War 2.

The point being that usage of 'Dude' is not restricted to americans, and to assume it is is either conceited or ignorant.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  15. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Addendum:
    (In fact the usage of 'Dude' and the concept of a 'Dude ranch' has been so widely disseminated outside of the United States that here in the country I live in, where we use the British spellings, we have an advertising campaign for a locally brewed band of Beer that is conceptually based on the 'dude ranch'. It has, of course been adapted to make it culturally relevant to this country, however the concept is that of a 'dude ranch'.)

16. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

This doesn't even make any sense.

What 'linguistic data' do you expect to be spoon-fed?

17. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Do so for dude and you will find this:
    Much of the rest of what I've had to say has been illustrating how widely disseminated the word is outside the US, and giving some specific examples.

But hey, if that level of discussion is too highbrow for you...

18. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

keith1:

Your "get out of ban free" card only exists in your own mind.

Other people breaking the site rules (if that happens) doesn't give you free reign to also break them. Two wrongs don't make a right.

19. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

You'll have to remind me who you are, exactly.

20. Epictetus here & now Registered Senior Member

You lie! You've never been in a hot tub!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

21. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

You're saying you took offence at being called 'Dude' because of it's origin, inspite of the evolution of its meaning and its widespread colloquial usage?

Dude... Really?

22. OnlyMe Valued Senior Member

... And those of us who cannot spell to begin with...

23. AlexG Like nailing Jello to a tree Valued Senior Member

I'm an American, but oddly enough I automatically spell among as amoung.