Did you know that during the Full Moon there are 50% more murders?

Discussion in 'The Cesspool' started by LeBlanc, Dec 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeBlanc Banned Banned

"Scientific studies have identified the link between the full moon and extremes in human behaviour. In a recent paper, The Lunar Cycle: Effects on Human and Animal Behaviour and Physiology, Michal Zimecki, of the Polish Academy of Sciences, analysed studies that took into account lunar activity.
    He claimed that a full moon could affect criminal activity and health, leading to an increase in crime and admissions to hospital. He said that the effects were so marked that it “may be helpful in police surveillance and medical practice”.
    In 1998 a three-month psychological study of 1,200 inmates in the maximum security wing at Armley jail, Leeds, discovered a rise in violent incidents in the days before and after a full moon.
    People are also more likely to be or to feel ill. Research at Leeds University found that the number of requests for GP consultations rose by 3.6 per cent when the moon was full."

Same occurs for crime, murder, accidents, stomach ruptures, and seizures, etc. up to 100% of ER admissions occur during the full moon, mental hospitals go into lockdown and Police in Brighton are sent on patrol more to 'battle full moon violence'

gravity can do some odd things to biological things..
    EDIT full moon produces POSITIVE IONS during its full phase.. this can affect blood, biochemistry in the body and the electrical impulses in the brain and cause sickness
    Unfortunately there is no known cure for this well known syndrome.

Our bodies are made up of more than 60% water, and the drawing qualities of the full moon affect some people more than others. The fluids in the body are disturbed and this is felt in particular in the cerebra spinal fluids causing pressure on the brain..

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Bells Staff Member

Can you please provide a link to this study you are citing in this thread?

Thank you.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. LeBlanc Banned Banned

Just search, there is TONS of evidence and statistics.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

You're the OP. Your job.

8. Aqueous Id flat Earth skeptic Valued Senior Member

To generalize from this would be faulty. Suppose the rats get more active and this creates added pressure among inmates. Anything is possible.

Or, the full moon reminds them of the passage of time, and a few procrastinators are spurred into making a doctor visit, increasing the percentage slightly. It's a generalization. Anything is possible here, too.

But not blood pressure? Something's awry with this source. Maybe there's a lot of superstitious people (including police) in Leeds, as in Brighton, fanning the flames of unrest, discontent, psychic incontinence, and eating disorders.

The gravity of the moon? I can't even feel it. It lightens me less than when I set a penny down, which is an insignificant object that has perceptible mass.
    Besides, how does gravitation correlate with the phase of the moon?

If that were true, sunlight would kill you.

Besides, practically everything you eat contains positive ions. A lot more than any moonbeam.

The whole body relies on ions for everything from osmotic pressure to nerve pulse transport. If positive ions were bad, we would die from self-contamination.

Thankfully we have enough positive ions to equalize the pressure within. Besides, what are you talking about, gravitation? What does that have to do with the phase of the moon?

Sorry, none of these tabloid arguments can cut the mustard in a science forum.

9. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Egad! This kid is ready and willing to accept ANY screwball bit of garbage he happens to find! :bugeye:

10. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I can imagine crimes such as burglary increasing on full moon nights. There is more light, which should make the job easier.

11. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

No, actually theres not. Dr Hugh Gratham, head of the South Australian ambulance service did a statistical study of ambulance workloads during full moons, he found there was no stastical difference in volume of call outs OR types of calls on a full moon compared to any other day, there is however an increase on new years eve

12. Jim S Registered Senior Member

It's an established scientific fact - werewolf activity increases 77.25% during a full moon.

13. Pincho Paxton Banned Banned

Links, always post links to something that isn't common knowledge.

14. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

From "The lunar cycle: effects on human and animal behavior and physiology."

Zimecki M.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...k7zKDA&usg=AFQjCNEJX2K9Kv0vFlqALlzFM-FvGsqJ9Q

So then your own report doesn't seem to support what you claim. :shrug:

15. Bells Staff Member

I'll make it simple for you. Either cite your sources (ie links at the very least) or I close and cesspool the thread.

I will also expect you to provide links and cite your sources for the edit in your OP... I speak of course of this:

So here is what you will need to cite (even just a link and the full name and author of study will do):

1) That the full moon affects criminal activity and health.
    2) That the full moon affects human physiology and apparently causes a form of tidal event due to the body's water content.

16. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

It's very easy to tell ahead of time that he won't comply. This little kid clearly is VERY naive and goes running full-blast with any bit of nonsense he happens to come across. :shrug:

17. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

I have known several persons working in the Emergency Room at the hospital who lament that full moons are always excessively busy because that's when the 'crazies' come out and many incidents occur. Murder was not one of the events that was mentioned however. Here is a link to a Journal that references the gathering of data specific to the influence of the full moon.

18. Bells Staff Member

I still need to give him the chance to respond.

19. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Oh, I agree - and maybe the effort will teach him not to fall so quickly for this sort of thing. (Though he doesn't impress me - at all - as being the type to put much effort into *anything*.)

20. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Original statement is bullshit and a known urban legend. I don't provide link because the OP didn't do it either, and it is well known.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

21. Bear Registered Member

Is it necessary to point fingers and call him foolish? And come on people, haven't anyone felt a unusual desire for blood during a full moon? I absolutely have. I find this thread fascinating. Guess I'm not the only one with an inner beast.

22. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Yep.

23. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

Nothing done here can really be defined as necessary. However, it it gets him to stop acting foolish, it would be salutary...for him.
    If nothing else, he can learn to look stuff up and see if it's true before he believes it, teaching him to be skeptical, careful, and to list sources.
    This will serve him well, no?
    Therefore, while we appear to be acting like jerks...we are, in fact, not being jerks.
    No, and if you do you're letting your mind play tricks on you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.