Stretch marks?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Ghost_007, Aug 28, 2011.

1. Ghost_007 Registered Senior Member

I've been told there is no actual cure?

I have some horrible looking marks on arms (bicep/shoulder area) due to weight-lifting. They appear very deep and are red/pink in colour.

I've been using some Vitamin E lotion but I can't say I've noticed any changes.

Anyone had this problem?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I rubbed vitamin e lotion on my belly like a crazy person when I was pregnant with my son. No stretch marks that I ever saw. Its because I couldn't see farther down under my belly. Where I didn't keep my skin moisturized, I got them. Once they were there, they were there. Like scars.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Ghost_007 Registered Senior Member

I've had some stretch marks before and they seem to fade over time, you can still see them but they are very faint. Is it the same with you?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

I have an absolutely frightening amount of stretchmarks, being an ex-fat person...they do eventually turn whitish if you're Caucasian... very light brown if not.
    (yes, just double-checking, my forearms have stretchmarks.)

People have looked at them and said "What happened?"

Should I ever have the money to get into tatts I was considering getting flames tattooed in between the stretchmarks, in a gapped sort of collar around my shoulders...might look cool or weird. I would try doing it in tempera paint first to see if it worked visually.

No you can't tatt ON the stretchmarks, I was told. Maybe you could do a tribal style, but any fine detail would run.
    You must have really bulked fast, ghost...

8. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I just learned to love my stretch marks!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. Ghost_007 Registered Senior Member

How long have you had your stretch-marks?

I did bulk up quite a bit, but I think the major marks came from not warming up sufficiently and jumping from a low weight to a higher weight far too quickly. The marks looked disgusting at first, they were so dark they were almost purple, they were thick and deep and looked like they would bleed. Yuck, lol.

I have a little mark going across my chest horizontally, the more I stretched and worked out the bigger it got, but that is bright pink so it blends in no problem.

Did you use anything on your stretch-marks? or just let them fade naturally?

10. Ghost_007 Registered Senior Member

You might have loved them, but what did others think?

11. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

There is supposedly laser therapy for stretch marks. Check into that.

12. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

how deep do stretch marks go? Or does it depend on teh way you got them?

13. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

14. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

wikipedia is usually written by lay-men not scientists. Some people prefer discussion to reading as well. Its not like he asked what they were. He asked it others had them.

Do you have any??

15. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

and sciforums posts arnt?

anyway yes wikipedia isnt concidered to be a university grade source for most things but if you scroll down it has a series of references, try reading those

16. Ghost_007 Registered Senior Member

Is it pricey?

Just underneath the skin I think.

17. Sock puppet path GRRRRRRRRRRRR Valued Senior Member

Have a few from training when I was younger they faded after some years (though they were not as pronounced as you describe). Watch your weight ,especially rapid fluctuations,and if you are going to continue bulking up try some lotions as Orleander described.

18. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

Had them since I turned into a binge eater at puberty. I put on upwards of 100 pounds of lard in two years.
    They probably got less pronounced around the time I stopped gaining weight and started losing it...weight had gone up and down over the years. Hopefully (crosses fingers) with hard work and a good diet, I will keep it off this time.
    You migh try adding flax oil to your diet, that's supposed to help reduce scarring, won't hurt anything, anyway.

As for laser surgery...Sheesh! Who's got money for that nonsense?
    Not I says the cat! Yes, even good tatt work would be cheaper, prolly less painful too.

19. Ghost_007 Registered Senior Member

Thanks for the tip.

Was reading up on some weight-lifting forums and alot of the guys there simply regarded stretch-marks as a sign of rapid progress, they didn't see any negatives at all.

Dude, 100 pounds in two years? that is fcking impressive. *high five*

No offence, but didn't you ask yourself 'why am I doing this to my body'

And regarding the flax oil, doesn't that give you diarrhea?

I could try a subtle spray tan lol.

20. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

I was severely depressed and a binge eater, really took off after one time getting the crap repeatedly slapped out of me much more spectacularly than usual....
    Prolly just as well, had I been an attractive-looking teenager my dad would have started being a problem again as soon as my grandmother got incapacitated.

In 2009-2010 lost 120 pounds in about a year and a half... miserable, don't want to have to do it again.

I put a tablespoon of flax oil on my salads. That should be sufficient from what I have read. I have asthma and want to try to reduce lung scarring.