Carbon nanotube batteries. A Good idea?

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by Captain Kremmen, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Carbon nanotube springs.
    Could they be used in a new form of battery?

Carbon nanotube springs are springs made of carbon nanotubes (CNTs). They are an alternate form of high density, lightweight, reversible energy storage based on the elastic deformations of CNTs. Many previous studies on the mechanical properties of CNTs have revealed that they possess high stiffness, strength and flexibility. The Young's modulus of CNTs is 1TPa and they have the ability to sustain reversible tensile strains of 6%[1] and the mechanical springs based on these structures are likely to surpass the current energy storage capabilities of existing steel springs and provide a viable alternative to electrochemical batteries.The obtainable energy density is predicted to be highest under tensile loading, with an energy density in the springs themselves about 2500 times greater than the energy density that can be reached in steel springs, and 10 times greater than the energy density of lithium-ion batteries.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_nanotube_springs
    From Wiki

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Compressing the springs would be easy enough.
    You could, for example, have a very heavy floating hull that would be lifted by the tide. When the tide went out the hull would fall and compress the carbon material. Then when the tide came in, the material would be left compressed.

How would you turn this compression into useful energy though?

And how much energy would there be potentially in say, 1000 tonnes of weight?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

from http://www.physorg.com/news8473.html

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. phlogistician Banned Banned

Sounds great in theory, but has anything practical actually been made with nanotubes yet?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

8. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

interesting . Gary me partner in crime is hooked up with a guy named Russ and they are involved in a new type of armor for things just like that, so weird Captain . I got to stop listening Captain . I feel like i went to the zoo and all the monkey are flinging poop at me. I wonder if this is the technology they are using ? He has brought it up several times now with a hush hush attached in an informal way . You know like " This is exciting the things I am up to with these brilliant people. Hush Hush His name starts with a Russ and ends in a Fletcher . Yeah the guy that came to our last board meeting wfh .
    I think I am going to go more underground with my speech. Sense I have been called an accident waiting to happen. Yeah Code Wood for you know who will be referred to wfh from now on cause you know what will happen . They will google it and then me home S.F. will start coming up then I would be busted for sure for being a little magol mouth . A Mr. Magoo and all .
    You know the thing is I never had anyone to talk to about me darkest secrets and you all at this forum are the first ever intelligent enough to even comprehend my presents in the world . Invisible by fate I guess . It is hard to make real friends . Ones that are understanding that is . You qualify Captain!

Were is that Mr. Mormon . Should we all P.M. him and tell him the thread is started ?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  9. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Yes, but I'm not sure about batteries. It's being used as high frequency shielding on airplanes, and as a composite material on the latest Juno spacecraft to Jupiter.

10. MrMormon Registered Senior Member

Since this thread was started without me (thanks, though?), I'll reboot:

Carbon nanotube spring batteries are a technology waiting for mass nanotube forest growth methods to become consistent enough that there are no major defects lowering their combined tensile strength. They have the potential for an energy density ten times that of the best current rechargeable batteries. Unlike current batteries, and even upcoming batteries like lithium nanowire batteries with the same potential tenfold increase, they can also have flexible and amazing power density, can be cycled infinitely without wearing out, are insensitive to environmental factors like temperature, can store energy indefinitely without leakage, and are probably more environmentally friendly (another debate?).

So, I guess the major questions I have here are:

1. When do you think carbon nanotube forest generation will become consistent in making the same type of nanotube without defects?

2. What about graphene? I think graphene, as a thin sheet, is prone to bending with temperature changes.

3. Could energy density be increased by interlocking nanotubes or graphene sheets? That's probably impossible though - I don't know.

4. What kind of technology would become feasible with this increase in energy and power density, durability, longevity, and environmental insensitivity?

I'll add to number four - transportation and unmanned aerial vehicles seem like the coolest and most pressing applications to me. Maybe some energy collection methods aren't feasible without some kind of intermediate storage?

This is the best article I can find about CNT spring batteries: http://memagazine.asme.org/Articles/2010/march/Carbon_SuperSpring.cfm.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  11. MrMormon Registered Senior Member

Also, wouldn't this thread fit better in the Architecture and Engineering section?