Revenge Movies

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by KilljoyKlown, Aug 10, 2011.

1. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

I'm looking for well done revenge movies. The standard I want to go by is.

I Spit on Your Grave, both versions 1978 & 2010

IMO revenge movies don't get much better, but I'm looking and will take all recommendations seriously.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Revenge of the Ninja was the best 80s ninja movie.

The Count of Monte Cristo is considered one of the best revenge stories...the movie is pretty close.

Conan the Barbarian is a personal favorite.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

==============================================

Revenge of the Ninja(1983) R

In an attempt to escape his blood-soaked past, former ninja assassin Cho Osaki (Shô Kosugi) leaves Japan behind and relocates to Los Angeles, where he's befriended by an American businessman by the name of Braden (Arthur Roberts). But what the unsuspecting Osaki doesn't know is that Braden is a heroine trafficker who's embroiled in a beef with a mob boss (Mario Gallo). Ashley Ferrare also stars in this martial arts action flick.

Genre: Action & Adventure, Action Thrillers, Martial Arts Movies

This movie is: Violent, Exciting

The Count of Monte Cristo(2002) PG-13

In this beautifully photographed rekindling of the classic Alexandre Dumas story. Edmond Dantés's (Jim Caviezel) life and plans to marry the beautiful Mercedes (Dagmara Dominczyk) are shattered when his best friend, Fernand (Guy Pearce), deceives him. After spending 13 miserable years in prison, Dantés escapes with the help of a fellow inmate (Richard Harris) and plots his revenge, cleverly insinuating himself into the French nobility.

Genre: Action & Adventure, Dramas, Adventures, Crime Action & Adventure, Crime Dramas, Period Pieces, Dramas based on classic literature

This movie is: Exciting, Suspenseful
    ===============================================

Conan the Barbarian(2011) R

Based on the pulp fiction of Robert E. Howard, this action-driven adventure breathes new life into the story of Conan the Barbarian, a warrior who rises to defend the people of Hyboria after evil forces slaughter his family and fellow villagers.

Genre: Action & Adventure, Sci-Fi & Fantasy, Action Thrillers, Adventures, Action Sci-Fi & Fantasy, Fantasy

This movie is: Violent, Exciting

Thanks all 3 of these are now in my Netflix Queue. I liked all the earlier versions of Conan and have high expectations for this one.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Moby Dick

Death Wish

Kill Bill 1 & 2

8. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

Good choices but I've already enjoyed them all, more than once.

9. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Umm I think the new Conan movie is a bust. It's a limp copy of the original Oliver Stone script....minus Basil Poledouris' masterpiece soundtrack.

10. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

That could be true. Sure has happened that way before with other movies. But I'm going to watch it anyway when it becomes available in Netflix.

11. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

12. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

13. ScaryMonster I’m the whispered word. Valued Senior Member

Dearest Nietz, The movie version of The Count of Monte Cristo if you mean the 2002 one is crap. It completely dumps major characters like Caderousse, Andrea.

The 1978 version with Richard Chamberlain is a better film but omits even more characters.

I recommend the 1998 Mini Series with Gérard Depardieu only thing is that its in French. But it makes the English versions look shit house.

Forgive my passion thats one of my favorite books.

14. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

If it's not in English I don't care how good it is, I won't be watching it.

15. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

16. Cifo Day destroys the night, Registered Senior Member

Modern über-feminist sentiment has spawned woman-on-man revenge movies such as Double Jeopardy (1999) and Enough (2002).

17. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

If you like dark movies, I recommend Oldeuboi - its one of the most bizarre revenge movies I have seen and part of the Vengeance Trilogy

In that case, forget it, its in Hangul

18. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Before I agree or disagree with you I need to know if you like Dumas' long or short version?

19. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Great suggestion , can't believe I forgot that. Great movie. Getting more relevant everyday.

20. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

With recommendations from both of you, I shall have to move it up on the priority list, lol.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I don't watch a lot of movies, I think perhaps because they require the commitment of a significant block of time and I am quite kinetic by nature. It takes a pretty good flick to hold my interest. I can read and research for hours, so it's not an ADD thing, lol.

21. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

I've seen last house on the left, and it was very good, but doesn't beat either version of "I Spit on Your Grave"

Can't remember Death Weekend and Netflix doesn't offer it as a choice.

22. Shogun Bleed White and Blue! Valued Senior Member

23. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

Double Jeopardy(1999) R

Libby Parsons (Ashley Judd) awakens to find herself adrift at sea, with her husband missing and her hands covered with his blood. She's arrested for murder and loses everything, including her son. But while in prison, Libby finds out she's been framed. Now, the law of "double jeopardy" -- and the desire to kill her "late" husband for good -- is all Libby has left, even if it means outwitting her sympathetic parole officer (Tommy Lee Jones).

Genre: Thrillers, Crime Thrillers, Mysteries

This movie is: Dark, Suspenseful

I put it in my queue. Thanks
    Enough(2002) PG-13

Abused wife Slim (Jennifer Lopez) realizes Mitch (Billy Campbell) isn't the wonderful man she thought he was when they got married. She and her daughter try to escape, seeking refuge with her ex-boyfriend (Dan Futterman), but Mitch pursues them relentlessly. Fearing for her daughter's safety, Slim decides there's only one way out of the marriage: kill her husband. Juliette Lewis co-stars as Slim's best friend.

Genre: Thrillers, Crime Thrillers

This movie is: Suspenseful

Also put this in my queue. Thanks