Why are so many atheists anti-realists or relativists?

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by Faure, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Faure Registered Senior Member

Its always struck me as odd that "standard" atheists (the ones who reach atheism through elementary [if not particularly advanced] reasoning, in contrast to the ones with a higher degree of philosophical sophistication) are usually token anti-realists or relativists about morality (they often conflate these two positions). By token anti-realists I mean that they've reached anti-realism through some sort of ill-conceived "scientific" reasoning that doesn't make much sense to philosophers (including atheists, and including anti-realists!)

Why is this the case? Its quite the odd sociological phenomenon.

My basic guess is that morality doesn't seem "sciency" enough for them so they just adopt anti-realism without giving it much serious thought or analysis... but I was wondering what ya'll thought.

The other argument that I see some token anti-realists advance is something like:

1) Moral Realism can only be a true theory if God exists.
    2) God doesn't exist.
    3) Therefore Moral Realism is not a true theory.

This argument is funny since even theologically sophisticated Christians reject 1).

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Thoreau Valued Senior Member

Umm................................................... WTF?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Pandaemoni Valued Senior Member

It's that, assuming that there is an objective basis for morality (be it God or some other objective basis), then one cannot objectively prove that that basis exists. If one cannot objectively prove the existence of that basis, then one cannot prove what the objectively true moral rules are and, in that case, no one can objectively asset that his or her moral system is superior to any other.

One can make certain appeals (like appeals to popularity, appeals to emotion, and the like), but nothing that could ever conclusively establish one set of moral rules as being closer to the objective truth.

In such a world--the one we live in--morality may or may not be objectively true, but the truth or falsity (or whether there is any such thing as a truth or falsity) of a given moral system is utterly unknowable. In the face of that, anyone who believes they "know" the moral truth is irrational. One may "believe" one's morality is correct, but one believes it on faith, and should, if rational, acknowledge some doubt or possibility of being incorrect, even wildly incorrect.

In such a world taking a position that amounts to moral absolutism regarding particular conduct is to assert merely a subjective opinion, even if it so happens one's opinion does agree with the unknowable morally objective truth. It's like sealing a coin in a unbreakable box, shaking the box, announcing that that unseen coin came up "tails" and then asserting that anyone who disagrees is a bad human being.

Moral relativism is one way to acknowledge a fundamental truth of the situation...that we don't know what is or is not moral in any objective sense, and condemning people for "immoral" conduct is therefore fraught with potential errors. That is not to say "anything goes," however, since moral relativists are not moral nihilists.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

Sort - of a complicated way of saying that morals don't come to us from a "god" but have been arrived at by consensus.

I suspect morals are based on our being a social animal that needs to get along with others of our own species so we developed patterns of behavior to do that, like any other social organism.

8. SciWriter Valued Senior Member

Surely, stealing, murdering, lying, dishonoring, and cheating didn't go over very well in the tribes of old.

9. Faure Registered Senior Member

This is odd reasoning, to say the least.

First of all, you have not given any argument for the claim in the first sentence. What I suspect is that your notion of what it means to prove something is wildly unlike what scientists and philosophers mean when they say that something has been proven. If you are going to use an extremely stringent and heterodox notion of "proof", you need to provide an argument as to why we should accept that notion.

Second, even if this line of reasoning were true, it provides no evidence for anti-realism or for relativism.

No it isn't. Moral relativism is essentially inconsistent with the view you've expressed.

This view is not consistent with the view expressed by Pandaemoni. Also, what evidence is the evidence that this is true?

Giving an account of why our moral reasoning and status as moral animals evolved is not the same thing as ascertaining the basis for morality. By analogy, we surely developed vision for reasons of evolutionary advantage, but that doesn't mean that anti-realism or relativism about the deliverances of vision is true! To say so would require a retreat to the usual untenable absolute certainty criterion on knowledge, which is a widely rejected criterion since it forces global skepticism.

10. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

On the contrary, in the Paleolithic Era there was no surplus wealth so in a bad year there was a shortage of food--the only important commodity. Stealing food from the tribe in the next valley could mean that fewer of your own people would die waiting for the next bountiful season. Killing them could mean that there would be more food for your own people for several years, until a tribe from across the river moves in to take up the slack.

I saw a report from an anthropologist a few years ago after he examined the skeletons of Early Stone Age (pre-agriculture) humans using today's sophisticated instruments. He discovered that more than half of the people who died in adulthood (infant mortality was brutal back then) were killed by violence. In other words, murder and war killed more adults than all other causes combined.

We are a pack-social species like wolves, lions, gorillas, horses, and many other social mammals. Our instinct is to only care for and depend on members of a small extended-family unit whom we have known intimately from birth. Everyone else is a competitor for scarce resources.

Our problem today is that we have changed the world around us faster than we have been able to evolve to adapt to it. Today we live very much as a herd-social species, maintaining a minimal harmony and cooperation with the anonymous strangers who surround us, after discovering that this type of social organization benefits all of us.

From this perspective, "morality" is not hard to define. To be moral is to override our instinctive pack-social behavior with the reasoned and learned behavior that has built and maintained civilization. It is to help each other avoid backsliding into the Stone Age.
    I'm not sure who and where these people are that you're talking about. I didn't "reach" atheism; religion was not part of my family's life for three generations, and I didn't even know what it was until I was about seven. I don't know how many of us third-generation atheists there are, but most of the many atheists I know got here by attrition. As they saw religious faith consistently fail to deliver anything except an emotional placebo effect, their own faith kept diminishing, first to the point that it was not important enough to think about very often, and then finally to the point that the next time they remembered to think about it, it was gone.
    My thoughts on morality are above. There is plenty of empirical evidence supporting the value of morality. It's reasonable! It's not something we have to accept as an artifact of irrational faith, the way religionists accept all manner of weird beliefs.

We all have an instinct to care about the people close to us. Only a sociopath is born without it and only an asshole can find a way to ignore it routinely without breaking down in shame. Caring about the people close to us requires supporting civilization. One person might be able to sneak through life consistently taking more than he gives, but a whole tribe can't. They have to be civilized. I.e., "moral."
    You sure hang out with some weird atheists--or some extremely young ones. I haven't heard any sophomoric bullshit arguments like that since we were all in college fifty years ago.

11. SciWriter Valued Senior Member

I should have said "within a tribe".

12. Pandaemoni Valued Senior Member

It is almost impossible for me to prove the non-existence of an objective basis for morality. All I can say is that, if there is an objective basis for it, it has never to my knowledge been demonstrated. If it had been, then it would be universally hailed as a philosophical triumph. Instead we see various bases for morality posited, and a great deal of argument about which is right, which is wrong and what aspects of which basis might survive despite the overall construct being wrong.

If an objective basis does exist, then it would be easier for you to demonstrate that, than it would be more me to prove there in no such basis at all.

Science never "proves" anything. Science consists of models of reality that are (one hopes) consistent with nature and useful in making predictions. Those models are always subject to revision when new data does not comport with the model. No matter how certain a model may be, no matter how long it has served, an error in it could always arise with the next observation of reality.

Philosophers can rely on such a regime of falsifiability, but they can also rely on logical proofs in many areas, which science never can. Logical proofs are absolute, and not limited to mere falsification.

You are right that it's worth discussing what I mean by proof, but what I meant was "evidence or argument that removes the proposition from any debate amongst impartial persons of sound mind."

In fact there has been vigorous debate on the origin of morality for millennia, and reasonable men and women can reach no consensus on what it's basis is.

I agree. That was not my point. One can be an reasonable, intelligent and well educated anti-realist in my view and still be wrong. The point is that there is no way to demonstrate that such a person is wrong. You may believe such persons are wrong, but you cannot know that that is so, since there is no objective argument that clearly establishes that.

I think from what you have written, you misunderstand my position. As an analogy, take an objective fact, say "2+2=4," and suppose hypothetically that no one on Earth had the logical capacity to demonstrate that 2+2=4. The statement is objectively true, based on logic, but that logic is unavailable to humanity in this hypothetical.

Suppose I believe that 2+2=7 and you believe that 2+2=2. We are both wrong, but each of us believes himself to be correct and the other wrong. Suppose our common friend, Phil, comes along and he believes that 2+2=4. He is right, but we would both believe his answer is wrong.

Since, by supposition, we cannot prove any of the three propositions (2+2=2, 2+2=4 or 2+2=7) absolutely true or false, it makes perfect sense that we would adopt a live and let live attitude on the question, where we each accept that the different understanding of the 2+2 question is not objectively provable, and therefore that our colleagues are just as justified in their beliefs on it as we are ourselves.

It's an acknowledgment that, while there may be an objectively true answer, that there is no objective way to demonstrate that answer's truth to others.

To take another example, there may be one and only one objectively correct way to eat a hard-boiled egg...starting from the big end, or starting from the small end. For example, God may well have declared only one way to be correct when He created the universe and thereby made it objectively so (if your religion posits that God is the arbiter of right and wrong in all things). Still, whatever the truth of the matter, the war over the question didn't serve Lilliput and Blefuscu well.

13. Pandaemoni Valued Senior Member

"Murder" within a tribe often is acceptable, if by "murder" you mean killing other than in self-defense. In Viking and Teutonic culture, killing a fellow tribesman over matters of honor was often a sign of prowess and lauded. In medieval Europe duels to the death were fought over differences of opinion as trivial as whether or not Dante was a better poet than Ariosto. At one point the Pope had to ban duels because in some places as many as 25% of young noblemen were being killed in them.

In Roman times the head of household ("pater familias") has the absolute right to kill, maim, exile or sell into slavery any member of his household...wife, children (even after they were married), slaves, in-laws under his charge, etc. No reason or justification needed to be given and no great social opprobrium seems to have hung on the exercise until the Christians showed up.

(There was some social opprobrium if you killed household members without reason, but it was in the nature of "he's such a hot head," or "he should drink less," and not "he's a monster!!" There was also one limitation on it, in that if you tried to sell a son into slavery three times, and each time no one would buy him, then the son was free from the pater familias's authority, but no longer a part of the family.)

14. SciWriter Valued Senior Member

Yes, I agree, and perhaps other murders were to get rid of some of the members who were unreliable and/or having all the other bad qualities, but, yes, customs and traditions differ.

How about this?

EMPATHY EXPLAINED, AND MORE

Why do we not eat all the scarce food, feeling the other’s hunger? Why are moods contagious? Why do we feel the wish to dance when we see another doing so? Why do I feel your pain when you cut your finger? Why might I get an itch when you scratch yours? How are you “out there” felt “in here”? How do your acts become mine, and my acts become yours? Mirror neurons!

Using very thin electrodes, experimenters measured the activity of a single neuron of the premotor cortex in a monkey grasping a peanut. Amazingly, a bit later, an experimenter grasped a peanut—and the same monkey neuron activated merely by watching. This was the beginning of explaining vicarious feelings—the mirroring of others’ behaviors. It seems that free will is not so impregnable; each time I witness your movements, you permeate my stronghold.

It extends to sounds, sensations, and emotions, as well, and so we can feel all of those inside of us, as if we were in another’s shoes. These brain circuits blur the bright line between your experiences and mine. Without these mirror neurons there could have been no learning; but, it goes beyond that and onto intuitive altruism. In many places in the world, people tend to share the wealth. Of course, sometimes, our desire for benefits might outweigh our empathy.

In the military, the general is at a distance that separates him or her from the suffering that their armies cause. The same for weapons that kill at a distance—empathy can then be bypassed in the service of efficiency. Otherwise, it is “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you”.

Each time we see an action, our mirror neurons mimic and transform this sight into the motor commands necessary to replicate the action; however, a neural gate blocks the immediate output of our motor areas. Behind this gate, we can covertly share the actions of people around us. We feel them, and they thus become a part of our extended self. The brain is ethical by design. It was advantageous to know another’s needs.

15. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

You appear to have ignored my entire post. The basis for morality is hard-wired into us: we are a pack-social species.
    This is correct, and it's why scientists should avoid using the word "fact." However, most of them are horrible communicators and seem almost determined to either confuse or outrage laymen.

Nonetheless, to borrow the language of the law which, due to TV, most laymen now understand, a scientific theory is a hypothesis that has been proven true beyond a reasonable doubt. Canonical scientific theories are indeed disproved occasionally, but it happens so rarely that it is unreasonable to doubt them. Especially since this falsification is virtually always the work of a renowned PhD, not a precocious teenager with two years of physics classes. What usually happens is that they are subtly revised in ways that have little impact on laymen, such as Einstein's overlay of Newton's Laws. The effect of relativity on the average person's life is zero. Even for the people in Japan who are scrambling to relocate to a safe distance from their nuclear power plant, it would be more than a little off-topic for them to shout, "I told you so! Force does not equal mass times distance after all! I warned you all not to believe Newton!"
    So are mathematical proofs. The word "theory" has different meanings in different disciplines, as I have often pointed out on SciForums. To a police detective it is a clever hunch. To a layman it is an idea that popped into his head.
    Apparently they're not aware of their own species's history. Without morality we could not have built civilization, and without morality we could not maintain it. If we each had to divert time, attention and other resources to a constant effort to protect ourselves from each other, there would not be enough labor and surplus wealth (or "capital") to keep civilization going. Morality is the flip side of trust. If you are not moral, I cannot trust you, so I cannot be a member of a community in which you are a member.
    More sophomoric bullshit. You guys must be about nineteen. Be patient, you'll outgrow this phase. We all did.
    Some pack-social species are ruthless about culling from the pack those who cannot contribute to its welfare. Our dogs recently ganged up on the oldest and feeblest member of the pack and killed her. We can forgive dogs (grudgingly) for not consciously understanding that they are no longer hunters and their food is delivered in dishes. We cannot forgive humans for forgetting this, at least those of us who are lucky enough to live in places where civilization is not dysfunctional.

In fact it is a testament to our nature to see that in the most impoverished places in the world people still struggle valiantly to keep the weakest and least productive among them alive. Please take a moment and ponder that, the next time you lose faith in our instinctive pack-social "morality."

In my lifetime there was a tribe of African nomads who lived by the rule that if you could keep up with the tribe well enough to make it to camp at night, you would continue to be taken care of. They had just enough surplus wealth to keep those people alive. But the first time they had to delay their departure in the morning to wait for you to straggle in, it was over. They held a big ceremony in which everyone said goodbye, they gave you an ostrich egg full of water (that's a hell of a lot of water), and left you sitting comfortably under a tree.

This is rational morality. My wife and I keep wishing that we could do something like that today, instead of warehousing people who don't even remember who they are or how to go potty at a cost of several hundred dollars a day. In the event that American society ever comes to terms with end-of-life issues, we have agreed that "ostrich egg" is our code word.

I don't know if civilization has caught up with these people, but considering that the poverty rate in Africa has only in the last few years dropped below fifty percent, I doubt it.
    Because we are a pack-social species. Duh! We are hard-wired to depend on each other. Humans are not built to be good solitary hunters like tigers. We can only feed ourselves by banding together. What's so hard to understand about this?
    Most primates are pack-social like ours. It's a common evolutionary path. Intelligence makes it possible for cooperation among members of a group to bring in more food (and other resources) than the members could bring in individually in aggregate.

The quantum jump in our species was the invention of the technology of language, arguably at least sixty thousand years ago (perhaps the advantage that allowed us to successfully migrate out of Africa), but demonstrably at least 15KYA (the recently discovered link between the Yenisei language of Siberia and the Na-Dene group of North America). This raised our ability to plan, coordinate, argue, direct, build consensus, and pass knowledge between generations to a new level.
    This is the nuts and bolts of how we depend on and care for our pack-mates. The why is that we have:
    • A) Evolved ourselves into a corner: we no longer have the ability to provide a comfortable life for ourselves without cooperative behavior.
    • B) Transcended nature (the unique trait of our species) and rebuilt the world around us so that cooperative behavior is mandatory. A lone wolf or a lone chimpanzee can still survive if he finds a place with lots of food, but a lone human is pathetic. The frontier has been pushed into inhospitable regions and civilization locks up those who ignore the welfare of the pack.
    As I have often reminded us, the few hundred generations since the founding of civilization were not sufficient for us to evolve new brain wiring to adapt to it. Inside each of us there still dwells a caveman who would rather be out chasing mammoths and peeing in the river. It is a constant internal struggle to appeal to his reason and remind him that giving up that freedom brings him central heating, children who live past age 2, Chinese food (or Italian food if he is Chinese), furniture, adorable pets, 24/7 professionally composed and performed music, and the internet. Since he is indeed reasonable, most of the time he wisely accepts this tradeoff with a sigh. But occasionally he has a bad day, breaks out and does something uncivilized. As long as we keep those breakouts to a minimum, civilization survives. Only when a whole bunch of us backslide into the Stone Age in concert do we have a problem. We call this "war," and the primary motivator for it is the Stone Age philosophy we call "religion."

With their six-month breeding cycle, dogs have had twenty thousand generations to evolve adaptations to civilization and they have indeed found their own genetic path and become a distinct subspecies of wolf. They are, ironically, better adapted to civilization than we are. Yet still their "inner wolf" occasionally breaks out and they do something "uncivilized" like killing off grandma.
    It has to be for a pack-social species to survive. It is much different for solitary hunters or solitary scavengers. They compete for food and have every reason to be hostile to others of their own species. Even herd-social species are wired differently from us. They tolerate one another, for example not knocking each other down when grazing. They engage in group defense, knowing instinctively that it is difficult for a lion to pick out a target in a herd of stampeding wildebeest. And they follow the lead cow to the next bountiful grazing area. Other than that their "morality" is a dim suggestion of ours.

16. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

You've got it backwards - you can't have "war" without "civilization," and you can't have "civilization" without "religion" to provide a rational for the organization. Absent that stuff, there is insufficient organizational capability to sustain war - what you get is chaos. War is an organized conflict between competing polities (each with a religion-enabled state organization). War is not some abberation away from the proper purpose of civilization/religion - it is exactly the expression of such. The ability to wage war is the primary competitive benefit of religion/statehood - it's why that mode of organization thrives at the expense of set-ups that lack such capabilities. If "morality" is simply a catch-all for whatever set of norms lead to a given pack-society thriving, then war is among the highest aspects of "morality." At least, when said pack-society wins the war.

You seem to be using "war" where you mean "internal social breakdown." These are entirely different things - a society whose state/religion do not remain coherent is one that cannot wage war in the first place. It's only when all those cavemen are kept in line by the pack-social organization that said polity can actually behave as a pack and destroy competing packs (i.e, "war").

The short breeding cycle is important, but I'd hazard that the fact of having said breeding supervised by humans with the express intent of creating more sociable animals is at least as important. Wolves remain wolves, after all, despite all the generations of breeding, and feral dogs revert to such a state within a few generations.

Pack-social species have every bit as much reason to be hostile to others of their own species: they compete for food and resources with them just as much as anyone else.

It's only members of one's own pack/society that one has reduced reason for hostility towards. And the flip-side of that is increased reason for hostility towards non-members (particularly of one's own species). Wolves are as merciless towards members of other packs as they are loyal towards their own.

17. Kennyc Registered Senior Member

My thoughts exactly.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

18. Kennyc Registered Senior Member

Uh, no. Organized civilization is not predicated on religion.

19. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

Name one state-level-or-higher civilization that lacks such an enabling religion.

20. Kennyc Registered Senior Member

Having is not the same as being required.

If you are going to claim it you have to prove it.

21. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

It's a circumstantial argument, to be sure, but given the length and breadth of human development, we'd expect to see some counter-examples somewhere if such a requirement is not, in fact, salient. No?

Or are you just making some irrelevant argument about what could theoretically happen, with no reference to actual history?

You're the one in need of support here - you have a bald assertion, backed with zero evidence. Not even a single example, as I requested. And you admit above that all available evidence agrees with my assertion - so there seems to be no lack of "proof," on my end.

Again: come up with a single counterexample, and I'll address it. If you cannot or will not come up with anything to support your position, then you should drop it. Attempting to hector me by pretending that I'm the one arguing from thin air here is infantile.

22. Kennyc Registered Senior Member

Sorry Charlie, no tuna for you.

23. Pandaemoni Valued Senior Member

Which is not quite the same thing as what moral-realists claim, which is what I was addressing. I agree that a tendency to conform to rules established within our group is hardwired into us...I disagree that the content of those rules is established biologically which is a part of the claim moral-realists make (or rather they claim the content of the rules is established in some fashion that makes some of them "objectively" true). While there can be gray areas whether the truth cannot be discerned, moral realists believe certain moral statements like "slavery is unjust" can be universally true or universally false.

In the brain, clearly, we have on average a propensity for adapting to the group social norms, including (but not limited to) what we would call the "ethics" of that group. We often come to believe those rules deeply, and can feel greatly repulsed, aggrieved or disturbed when we see them violated. That could be true when you or I see a person held in bondage, or when the British saw the practice of Sati in India, but it's also as true when many westerners see foreigners eating insects as parts of their diet or when people from conservative communities see a topless beach.

Truth is, though, if you took an infant from a mainstream American Baptist family, and placed him or her in a family in ancient Rome, the child would grow to adopt the Roman norms and customs, because that would be his or her social group. Slavery would be considered normal...having sex with the slaves in full view of your wife would not be considered terribly strange, that your father could legally kill you if he wanted would not be viewed as necessarily horrifying.

There is a set of all possible systems of social norms. Some of those systems, if widely followed within a group, will lead to an orderly society, other systems are possible, but would lead to a breakdown of society. Our brains are wired to adopt the norms we see practiced around us, and possibly those from the subset that lead to orderly societies (though it's just as likely that the systems that lead to order win out through simple evolution...the systems that lead to disorder are self-defeating given that humans are not great at solitary living—so the disharmonious systems tend to peter out and have less influence in the long run).

Whether there are any moral truths is impossible to say. Is slavery unethical? I think so, but many people have disagreed with me across the ages. Is it unethical to kill someone just to see if I can? I think so, but Vikings saw that as a sign of a strong leader. Is it wrong for me to walk onto a farmer's land and eat the fruit he's growing? I think so, but the Bible disagrees.

The propensity of the brain to adapt to, and strongly adopt social norms doesn't require that certain moral statements be objectively "true" or objectively "false", it simply ensures that within a group most people will adhere to some common standard. That standard can be adopted for many reasons other than its objective truth. An entire population can believe a thing, and that belief can still fail to be an objective truth, in the logical sense. An appeal to popularity is not proof of objective truth.

So, to my point, is any moral statement objectively true, such that it would apply to all humans, and any intelligent aliens across the universe? I don't know, and I don't see that anyone (other than supernatural beings) could know. There is a reason, encoded in the brain, why humans tend to adopt sets of social norms, and possibly sets of social norms that promote group unity. But the objective truth of the specific rules those people adopt is far from certain.

This is not exactly the level of discourse that makes you such a legend here on these forums. By the way, I am in my 30s, so please follow up on your thought, and please explain to me just how egregiously stupid (and possibly brain damaged) I must be given that I am not a wet-behind-the-ears 19-year old you imagine. I can only aspire to being the sophisticate that you so plainly are, Fraggle Rocker.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2011