Serously.!!!

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by cluelusshusbund, Nov 3, 2010.

1. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Pinwheel Banned Banned

Query: esplane?

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

I woud like to hear som arguments as to why smart-azz type of moderaton is benificial to the beterment of Sciforums.!!!

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Killjoy Propelling The Farce!! Valued Senior Member

awww - give 'um a break.

He was just recently promoted to Sooper-Dooper Floor Buffer Operator, an' he don't like still having to mop puke up offa the gymnasium floor.

:mufc:

8. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

I didnt realy espect anyone to offer an argument about the issue... but i have seen improvment over the las year so i feel me shinin a light on such behavior has been a positive toward the beterment of Sciforums.!!!

9. scifes In withdrawal. Valued Senior Member

it's better to take a moderation with a chuckle than not.

10. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

This is usually an argument between "Individualism" and "being a robot".

On the one hand we are tasked with doing autonomous tasks that are clearly mundane, on the other hand we are suppose to culture our own unique blend of humour and satire to keep folks amused while we go about lobotomising their posted content.

Removing the individual would make this place boring and dull (in fact we'd have to get rid of some of you members since well you tend to think for yourself and that's against the nature of autonomy

11. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Off the top of my head

I can think of a few of reasons:

• Sometimes one must address the membership in terms they understand.

• It can be an adequate summary of one's disgust at extraordinary circumstances resulting from specific, calculated misbehavior. Not all problematic situations are the same to the moderators. Some circumstances are extraordinarily stupid compared to the rest, and these we disdain; and not simply because of the extra labor—rather, there are some days we literally cannot believe what's going on around here. Included at the beginning of the first volume of The Collected Works of Aleister Crowley is an editorial note that some of the writings included during that period of his life were extremely rare, because at one point he decided the poems and stage pays he authored in youth were exceptionally juvenile expressions, and sought (unsuccessfully) to destroy all record of them. This is the internet. We all have records we'd like to see burned, like the time I believed in flying penguins. (What? I so wanted it to be true!) But this is the internet. Perhaps because one can construe reasonably complete anonymity in this environment will so many flat-out embarrass themselves on such a regular basis. I mean, think about that: Every once in a while, we hide a record that could so badly embarrass a person if it ever came back to them by their real name. If a boss, or a wife, or a best friend happens to find it, and know who it is. I mean, the Sciforums record alone means most of us will never run for public office. And yet, beyond all that, there are still some violations of the rules that occur that we have to say something about it in order to not end up doing the censored a favor by removing from general circulation such an embarrassing episode. And remember, a robot can be programmed to say, "Glorious day, Master; it is my bliss to serve Your Greatness," as easily as it can be programmed to say, "Get real, numbnuts. Cynicism, like your manhood, is best hard and not flaccid and lazy." And I'm pretty sure we could program in a sinister sounding Muslim caricature to the voice. Well, once we had the robots. That is, even the robots will occasionally need to communicate with people in the language the people understand. Like the Requerimiento; it went over a lot worse once they figured out to start reading it in vernacular instead of Latin.

• It can send a broader message than a yellow flag and quiet private message bearing dry and minimal information to support its rebuke. That is, one can affect the issue more broadly if everyone knows what the authority has done and where it stands on such behavior.​

Just for starters.

Besides, by not giving out any yellow cards, one then has an excuse to not hand out red cards. And no red cards is a good thing.

At least, that's how I see it.

12. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Originally Posted by Clulusshusbund
    I woud like to hear som arguments as to why smart-azz type of moderaton is benificial to the beterment of Sciforums.!!!

(((-Reality Check-)))

My guess is... Smart azz moderaton has zip to do wit the beterment of Sciforums... smart azz moderaton is a ego boost for the mod... an atempted rationalization to the contrairy is laffable.!!!

13. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Personaly... i dont take the smart-azz bully-type moderaton serously... an i dout that such childish type of moderaton draws serous minded people to post here... an mos likely insites prollem posters to behave even mor poorly... from what ive seen... Stryders behavior is a good esample for other mods to learn from.!!!

14. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

What im suggestin is... for mods to behave respectfuly while preformin ther mod duties... which will lead to mor respect for mods from the general population of posters... ie... beter behavior... but as far as mods demonstratin individual personalities durin ther non mod duties... go for it... be as smart azz/humourous... brillient... dum-azz... ect... as the hart mite desire.!!!

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  15. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

When there isn't any point in arguing

Okay. If you say so.

16. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Origionaly posted by cluelusshusbund
    (((-Reality Check-)))

My guess is... Smart azz moderaton has zip to do wit the beterment of Sciforums... smart azz moderaton is a ego boost for the mod... an atempted rationalization to the contrairy is laffable.!!!

Thats a good enuff reply for my purpos... cause meerly discussin the issue seems to result in mor respectful moderaton... which i thank is to the beterment of Sciforums.!!!

Never have i seen such honesty ooze from som one (who is or has been a mod) on this issue... as in this post from Dwnddydr when he admits to ventin frustraton... goadin people... an retaliation.!!!

http://www.sciforums.com/showpost.php?p=2562411&postcount=70

clueluss husbund---"So whats you'r gole when you choose to treet people disrespectfuly.??? ”

Dwyddrdr---"Several goals: it vents my frustration and hopefully goads the recipient into doing something about their ignorance. On the other hand, since I consider a refusal to actually learn anything to be disrespectful, maybe I'm simply retaliating."

Below is som of James R's input on the issue an my queston he woud not answr.!!!

http://www.sciforums.com/showpost.php?p=2565624&postcount=167

James R---"Mostly, banned posters get angry and go on to bear grudges. They prefer to blame the evil moderators for their banning rather than taking responsibility for their own actions.”

cluelusshusbund---"Do you thank people woud be mor likely to becom less angry about bein baned if the ban didnt include an insultin remark.???"

17. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

If you want the truth, I think it's more to do with various members and moderators having axes to grind with one another. If you don't understand their "Nemesis" status, then yes you'd likely see the moderator as potentially rude.

There is also the factor that if a moderator is "harassed" for long enough, then they will likely deal with people using a more hardened approach. (I'm guessing that's the reason the policeman I once spoke to about reporting a crime was a lippy, condescending SOB. Probably vented at me for people, well... "reflecting his personality".)

18. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

No dout those thangs acount for a heafty percentage of it... an acknowledgin the issue is the firs step in improvin the situaton :bravo:... an bravo to Sciforum managment... cause ive seen grate improvment over the las several mounths in the respectful way moderation is performed.!!!

Last edited: Nov 12, 2010