Nasa Working on Warp Drive, Alcubierre Drive

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by TruthSeeker, Oct 18, 2010.

1. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Crazy stuff!! I'm not a physicist, so I will let you guys pick this up, I wanna see where you will take this...

Star Trek's Warp Drive: Not Impossible
    http://www.space.com/businesstechnology/090506-tw-warp-drive.html

""The idea is that you take a chunk of space-time and move it," said Marc Millis, former head of NASA's Breakthrough Propulsion Physics Project. "The vehicle inside that bubble thinks that it's not moving at all. It's the space-time that's moving.""

Just like in Futurama!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

SpaceTime Hypersurfing
    http://www.islandone.org/Propulsion/Alcubierre.html

"The warp drive envisioned by Alcubierre is made possible by the subleties of Einstein's general theory of relativity. According to Einstein, spacetime (the union of the three dimensions of space with the dimension of time) is not an inert substrate, but rather a dynamical entity that twists and distorts under the influence of concentrations of energy. Alcubierre suggests that it might be possible to exploit this phenomenon to travel from one star to another faster than the speed of light. This could be done by creating a disturbance in spacetime such that the region directly in front of a spaceship is contracted while the region directly behind the spaceship is expanded. This distortion of spacetime would, in effect, propel the spaceship forward like a surfer riding the crest of a breaking wave."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre_drive

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Why not just develop a dimensional vortex which can be opened at different points anywhere in the universe where you could move the entire planet with you? Knowing certain things about wormholes can lead to this happening and it would be much better to take everyone rather than just yourself when you travel. You could just open the threshold for a few or the entire planet, depending upon the frequency modulation that needs to be calibrated. :shrug:

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Green Destiny Banned Banned

working on it?

They would require large amount of negative energy, which is out of our reach. It's easy to say they are working on it, but to what extent will they reach without all the required ingredients?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. eburacum45 Valued Senior Member

I should point out that the Breakthrough Propulsion Program was cancelled in 2002, and the last result of the program (Marc Millis' book Frontiers of Propulsion Science) was finally published in 2009. Since that time NASA has not been involved in this research.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breakthrough_Propulsion_Physics_Program

Maybe they'll start up again one day, but at the moment rockets and lightsails are the only methods of propulsion being investigated actively.

8. Dredd Dredd Registered Senior Member

NASA working on a Warp Drive

It sounds to me like some of the economists from Cygnus have relocated to NASA.

Maybe they are trying to get back home. :bugeye:

9. Kajalamorth The Doctor Registered Senior Member

Actually its possible but the main problem is we cannot manufacter enough negative energy its the same problem as the one with antimatter. I was watching a show and a scientist was explaining that the minimum amount of Negative energy needed is the size of Jupiter. So we won't be using that in wee while.