Men Who Wear Makeup

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by Anarcho Union, May 24, 2010.

1. Anarcho Union No Gods No Masters Registered Senior Member

Are ussaly consedered gay or weird. Which I think is, to be blunt, stupid.
    Such as myself. I wear black eyeliner and eyeshadow. I am a heterosexual with an amazingly beautiful girlfriend. Why do I do it? For artistic and personal reasons, and I just love the way it looks. I have fun doing my eyes. Why is it that people see men who wear make up gay?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

You know there are many different people in this world that dress, behave and act differently than you do. If you cannot put up with their "ways" then it is YOU who have a very deep problem and should seek professional help as soon as possible.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Either gay or a douchebag.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Ahem embrace simplicity Registered Senior Member

The reason people see men who wear make up as gay is because men who wear make up are either gay or about to go on stage.

Personally, on the right face, I love men in eyeliner. It's very sexy looking, and does make a statement. You're either gay, or in the entertainment industry. Best example: Adam Lambert, who is a gay entertainer. (I LOVE HIS STYLE)

8. PsychoTropicPuppy Bittersweet life? Valued Senior Member

Hmm..unless you're an artist who's about to go on stage, or doing a performance it really does seem not very manly to me. Call me an ass for being so shallow..but that's how I perceive it. On the other hand, it really depends on how, how much, etc, and most importantly who. Not every guy looks like a queer with make up. :0

9. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Nouveau skanque, and other notes

I would only point out the underlying theme of men and makeup: Women are supposed to look pretty. Men are not. That's why it looks "gay" for a man to wear makeup.

Therein lies the problem.

Personally, I'm not a fan of makeup. No, I don't mind things like eye liner, but over the years, it's gotten to the point that I just can't deal with it. In a novel, one might write about how he "kissed her all over", but, frankly, at some point that might mean a mouthful of makeup. Seriously. Foundation, these days, reminds me of pancake. Seriously, I ran into a woman (almost literally) at a 7-Eleven yesterday, and she was almost cute: well-shaped, and making efforts to show off her body. Pretty good ass in those jeans, you know? And that tight, ribbed shirt accentuated the contours of her breasts. She was definitely tryingto show off her "assets". But as I came to the door and she emerged, I found myself looking into her eyes. Or, I would have, had my attention not been occupied by the gawdawful dark eye shadow that was sort of fishscale black and green and blue, and the thick layer of foundation that made her face look completely artificial. I can't describe the color, except with words like mutant, robust, and inhuman. Still, though, for nouveau skanque, her profile and departure looked pretty good. You know, the epitome of the old joke about doing her from behind, or with the lights off.

10. siledre Registered Senior Member

there are lots of usage for makeup, like evil captain kirk when yoeman rand scratched him, he used makeup to cover them up.

11. wellsiteguy Registered Member

Eddie Izzard.

12. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

In India there is a tradition of men wearing makeup for dance. And its common for rural men in the north of the country to wear surma or kohl made by burning oil and collecting soot.

This is a traditional kohl pot: the soot is in the container and the rod is dipped in it to collect the soot which is then gently applied between closed eyelids

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

This was probably adopted from Afghans or Kurds or Persians, since they have similar kohl pots

Here is a Kurdish kohl pot

13. iceaura Valued Senior Member

I prefer women without makeup as well - barring stage roles.

One of the interesting aspects of doing back country field work in a science is that the women involved, if any, seldom wear makeup and are usually reasonably attractive (fit, for the rigors of the work, at least). Upon returning to civilization, my first impression is often that the ordinary downtown office worker looks like a girl dressed as a hooker for Halloween. They look garish, cartoonish, staged.

That's on top of the barrier effect - the obvious put-off of touch, from the projection of what all that crap would feel like. The impression that one is hiding grime or grease or acne or something. etc.

Men primp, but too fastidious a primp job - let alone makeup on one's face - bespeaks a visual priority that seems aimed at the male gaze.

14. phlogistician Banned Banned

Because it is pretty gay.

Look, you wear makeup because I guess you are into the EMO subculture, which is rather effete , ((1,3) being most apt in this case I think) and you play with the whole androgynous/bisexual thing.

Maybe you don't understand the fashion you have adopted has those goals, but mostly people follow fashion rather than understand it's first cause, but EMO is a deliberate attempt to look a bit gay, a bit feminine. It's not challenging society on the issue of men wearing makeup, EMOs aren't that political. It's a deliberate attempt to provoke a reaction. When KISS, Alice Cooper, Dee Snider, and the masses of punk bands wore makeup, that was their goal too. A bunch of EMOs aren't going to change decades of aggression expressed through stage makeup.

15. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

The kicker there (and in engineering) is the "if any" clause...

16. sandy Banned Banned

I think makeup on men is creepy unless it is a little bit of well-blended concealer. Adam Lambert looks like a freak.
    I don't wear much--don't need it. Women with horrible skin should, but it should not be like a clown.

17. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

I don't mind makeup on men. At least not on some of the metal dudes I knew who could wear dark eyeliner and still look rough and masculine,

18. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

i don't necessarily like an attempt to look feminine, but to look good. i like it when a guy gives a shit about his appearance, and fashion. from hairdos, to clothes, to tattoos, to nail polish and makeup. it's rock n roll, it's punk rock, and it's hot.

19. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

They also share the same ancestry. Perhaps kohl pots go back that far.

20. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

21. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

22. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

23. phlogistician Banned Banned

Looks gay. Looks pretty terrible for a 34 year old too. I guess that's why he wears the slap.