Groundhog trapping

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by Dirty Dan, May 12, 2010.

1. Dirty Dan And knowing is half the battle Registered Senior Member

OK, so I fucking had it with these little bastards. They chewed through my A/C wires and are now making a lot of noises. I have 7 of these little fuckers living underneath my mobile home and Ive got to get rid of them. Animal Control will not help but only to the fact to lend me a cage. Anyone got any good and successful ways of trapping and disposing of these annyoing rodents? I have baited the traps with cat food becuase thats what Animal Control told me to bait it with and I have tried heads of lettuce. I been trying to trap them for a good month and half. Anyone? Anyone?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

Watch the movie "Caddyshack"

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. soullust Registered Senior Member

Build a fence, and get two cats as pets.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Fumigation is the most efficient and effortless way to get rid of groundhogs. Fumigation, as I mentioned in our article on rodents, is the most common and effective means of groundhog control. Fumigation is usually done with either gas cartridges that produce carbon monoxide or with aluminum phosphide pellets. Groundhog fumigation should be done in the spring (late April, early May) before the young leave the nest, and is most effective when moist soil is used to cover the burrows, sealing the gases in and leaving no means of escape for the groundhogs. This tactic should not be used for groundhog dens that are found beneath houses or other residential structures, and you should contact your local conservation officer beforehand to ensure you’re not breaking any laws.

The use of groundhog repellents as a way to get rid of groundhogs is questionable but a non-lethal tactic worth trying. I say “questionable” because a majority of the groundhog repellents on the market have almost no scientific evidence or research behind them to back up their claims—most of it is anecdotal or testimonial evidence. I guess if you’re the trusting type, and you really don’t want to kill or relocate your groundhogs, you might want to try a groundhog repellent and let us know how it works. Shake-Away by Critter-Repellent.com, and Critter Ridder by Havahart® are just two of the groundhog repellent products that we’re aware of.

To get rid of groundhogs from your garden, fencing is perhaps the most humane form of pest control. This is probably not the most reliable strategy for those trigger-happy individuals who want their groundhogs gone now. Fencing should be used primarily to keep groundhogs out of specific places, like your lovely garden. 1”-3” chicken wire or wire mesh fencing should be sufficient, so long as it’s buried at least 12”-18” below the surface and about 2’ above the surface. Remember, you’re dealing with a creature that can dig, so the more fencing you lay below the earth, the better.

8. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Dachshunds work, if you can borrow or rent one for a while. You need a good one, not a show dog. Given enough time, they'll dig a woodchuck out if they can't ambush it.

Probably some terrier breeds would have the requisite interest and diligence, as well.

One trick, if you have a suitable dog handy, is to run a garden hose into the main burrow and have the dog posted to cover the secondary burrows. You have to fill more volume than you might expect - there's a fair amount of excavation involved, sometimes, with uphill runs to the main den etc.

9. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

If you don't own a rifle, make a noose string and put it over the holes. They are curious lil fuckers and can't help but take a look at you if you are 25+feet away. Yank the string when they pop their head out and hopefully they are dead. If not it's hard to kill them because they are suddenly like a pet on the end of your string and you get attached to them and you can't kill them(ok I couldn't do it). Important last step dump the body in their hole (will get back to this).

If you have a rifle - shoot them. Dump the body in the hole.

Either way you probably only have to kill about 5-6 of them for a regular colony before they freak out and run away and screw up someone else's land. Leave the bodies, that's important. If you shoot one and it's wounded and screaming, that's just bad luck, you gotta give him another shot, it's difficult if you are crying though because it sounds horrible and sad

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Leave the bodies - then you only have to kill 15-20% of them before they screw off for a long time.

10. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

If you want to trap them, trap them. Use a humane trap that simply captures them, then relocate with little radio collars so you can track them.