Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. USS Athens Very Special Senior Member Valued Senior Member

Y'know, all this bridge tower speculation is really unnecessary. In a movie like tESB which was made for any person, you're not supposed to speculate. Therfore, if it looks like it blew up, it blew up. I'll bet if I walked up to Lucas right now, he'd say it was destroyed. And I believe this myth started just to be used in ST vs. SW debates.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. SkywalkerJedi アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) Registered Senior Member

They do use partical shields, the Falcon got hit by an astroid while in hyperspace and survived, that means they have partical shields protecting them as well as ray shields. It is Needa's hologram that disappared ( I can't get a picture of it, I tried ), so it is his ship that got hit.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. SkywalkerJedi アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) Registered Senior Member

They are not plasma. If they are plasma, they melt hulls, not blast them.

I acully have to agree with this point. The Turbolaser didn't vapoize it but it blasted the astroid into a pieces to small to notice, I mean really small, some is not visiable because it got blasted too far.

I don't think it is the hull, because if it is the hull, it must have dented it a bit. The ISD is not destroyed, because the ISD got hit is Avenger, and it is seen right before they went to cloud city, and if the bridge is destroyed, Needa would of been dead. I think it is the shields that blocked it.
    The ISD was moving slowly. The explodsion is the impact on the shields, in Star Wars, the shields is like a energy hull there is still explodsion, but the diffrence is, the ship can't subsatain damage before the shields are down.
    If thats possible, why didn't Voyager do that or other ships. If a frigate is in danger from Federation ships, they simply escape into hyperspace and run ( I am not suggesting that they can cowards ), then come back with more ships.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. SkywalkerJedi アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) Registered Senior Member

They still destroyed it didn't they?

8. SkywalkerJedi アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) Registered Senior Member

I bet not, read my posts and you will find it diffrently.

9. Flectarn Unregistered User Registered Senior Member

10. SkywalkerJedi アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) Registered Senior Member

Wow, just a crash destroyed it, very primitive ship.

11. Flectarn Unregistered User Registered Senior Member

yeah, a crash between two ships chock full of anti-matter....

12. Saquist Banned Banned

May be the Falcon has Particle shields but the ISD clearly does not because it was the Falcon that landed on the shield tower right after the shields were raised. and the Star Desteroyer that was crippled by the asteroid didn't really seem to stop the projectile very well at all.

Enterprise B is right. we were never meant to speculate on alot of these issues.
    If the tower is seen exploding there is every indication the SF crew had the intention of destroying the tower...the only consideration is SF ability. consider the tower destroyed.

13. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

i agree. in RoTJ ISDs and Calamari cruisers get hit by ramming starfighters, and often they come out unscathed. they must have both particle and rayshields. in the case with the asteroid, the shields were probably down for some reason (cumulative damage, lack of power, continous strain....).

14. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

1. some SW debaters say they are, they do manifest some of the properties. especialy the blaster bolts. tommorow i'll post the rest of the caps from RoTJ. you'll se the AT-ST firing 2 types of ammo, equivalent of AP and HE ammo of 20th century guns.
    2. i review the scene. the officer is viewed from his 4-5 o clock. i can't say if it's Needa.
    3. however you wish. this would make the tower even weaker then i anicipated, since it got destroyed through partial or full shielding.
    4. i was not talking about Voyager. i was refering to the disapearance of the tower after the bang

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

15. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

no doubt. i just wonder how would that poor ISD fare against a similar unshielded impact. i bet that Jem'Hadar attack ship was far more destructive then the asteroid.

16. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

i never thought of it that way. maybe most of the ISDs had their particle shields overwealmed by then? after all they spent a lot of time in that asteroid field, and a pursuing mountain 1600m long just begs to be hit by something.

17. SkywalkerJedi アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) Registered Senior Member

It might be, because they used too many power on the guns.

18. SkywalkerJedi アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) Registered Senior Member

The partical shields might be under the hull.

19. SkywalkerJedi アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) Registered Senior Member

The vessle is not destroyed, I said thats Avenger, Avenger was never destroyed in the movies, so the bridge is not destroyed. You made it weaker, not me.

20. SkywalkerJedi アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) Registered Senior Member

I said this a hundred times, the ships is not destroyed because it is Avenger. The only example of ramming destroying a ship, is between kilometer-long carrier-destroyer and the Ventor Star Destroyers right after the carrier-destroyer exited hyperspace.

21. Fox Anderson Registered Member

Personally I think that Star Wars has better travel speed in that their ships can get from one side of the galaxy to the other in a matter of a few days to a week. Weapons and protection wise Star Trek has far superior weapons and shields. The Empire only had the Death Star which could destroy planets and it was taken out by a single x-wing fighter. So they don't have that any more and the thing was slow. A Star Trek ship is faster than the Death Star and far more maneuverable than any Star Destroyer. Not to mention if you look at the specs of any Star Wars vessel you will see they use something they call "turbo lasers" that really are not lasers at all but seem to be some type of plasma bolt. It really is just a larger version of the blasters they use for their ground troops. Those fire a contained bolt of plasma. The shields of any current Star Trek ship can handle star plasma of far hotter temperatures just by getting close to a star. Hence any ship in Star Trek would be able to take an unlimited amount of fire from a Star Destroyer and not even have to blink. Not to mention the physical structure of a star destroyer is still vulnerable to weapons of even their own weak weapons. They wouldn't be able to stand up to the fire power of even a single Star Trek ship especially with quantum and now the Transphasic torpedoes. While Warp is slower than Hyperspace the weapons are what matters in a fight. The Empire would get its proverbial ass handed to them on a silver plater. This is also only taking into account the Federation. They would have to fight the Klingons the Romulans the Borg and don't forget the Voth. The Voth would hand them back their Star destroyers in nothing more than pieces about the size of your head. No the empire wouldn't stand a chance in hell.

22. Fox Anderson Registered Member

Oh Side note. Why do so many people seem to like the idea of a galaxy that is not our own going and taking over our own galaxy?

23. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

The problem is if you ask Lucas now he'd say what does it look like. At worst it looks like the bridge tower was shorn off. However if it is indeed the Avenger then it most certainly was not destroyed or even damaged.

Supposing the worst for the SW side, we still have a ship that has lost NONE of it's offenseive capability, just the targeting radar and some sensitive sanners, as well as soe comms equipment, and command crew. In a fleet engagement the vessel would still be a threat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.