Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George1 Registered Senior Member

were still debating this because he thinks he knows better that those who made those tops.
    THIS is the argument i was looking for.i reed the comment and understand the point,but again technobabble is not that.
    yes indeed. that's why the hilt is usually made out a metal with a high melting temperature,
    and shielded to protect the person.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. George1 Registered Senior Member

and who the fuck said anything about magic! Stop changing subjects!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

I don't care kid, I told you. Plain and simple. Learn to type, learn to write, and learn to use a computer. Don't rely on things to be "idiot proof" - trust me, as a computer serviceman I can tell you that "idiot proof" simply means that the more intelligent people are forgiven of the odd mistake. You still need basic life skills, which you obviously lack, as evidenced by your oh so clever reply.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

And no, George, a force user could not deflect a wide-beam phaser strike. IF they could, you would see Jedi Masters easily survive Order66... as they got their pathetic ASSES handed to them by a few clone troopers, it is apparent they can block/deflect 1, maybe 2 shots at a time. However, a wide-dispersion phaser beam would effectively hit EVERY PART OF THEIR BODY at the same time. No way they can block that as, again, proven on screen.

8. George1 Registered Senior Member

i said fuck of,i am done with you.

9. George1 Registered Senior Member

there's a difference fighting dozens of clone troopers and blocking a wide-dispersion phaser beam.the difference is that ONE beam even a wide-dispersion a jedi can form a protective force shield right in front of the beam. dozens of clone troopers blasting you from every direction requires far more concentration to defend. concentration that can be overrun by an overwhelming attack! why do you think Palpatine sent the entire elite 501st Legion?
    wake up and bring real arguments.

10. Sardonic Crisis The God Emperor Registered Senior Member

It is still an irrelevant argument, there isn't any need to prove or disprove it. Simply saying that it is irrelevant and moving on to more applicable matters is the best thing to do.
    I present a plausible answer that explains the use of these terms that would appear to be technobabble to us. In this way, I'm presenting an argument that it isn't technobabble. You are continuing to argue under the actual definition of "technobabble," which in no way actually argues against my point. I'm not arguing against the definition, I'm arguing that the language used doesn't fall under that definition.
    That cut-away didn't show any shield emitter and magnetism doesn't protect from heat.

11. Sardonic Crisis The God Emperor Registered Senior Member

However, if you want to take out anything unrealistic and only apply real science then I would have to remind you that all of the choices are fictions and as such the debate cannot be conducted under your criteria.

The debate has an assumption that all things from the universes must have a factual basis. This is an implicit presupposition that makes the hypothetical battle possible. In addition, our universe was never included in the debate and as such would be considered irrelevant evidence.

12. George1 Registered Senior Member

yea...there are two options here:
    A-just say "i can live with it!"
    or
    B-say "WAIT! how would this work?"
    i prefer option B

13. Sardonic Crisis The God Emperor Registered Senior Member

Option A allows for a meaningful debate where the strengths and weaknesses of either universe can be compared.

Option B is there to see how things interact within either universe; for example, would the Force be applicable in the ST universe and etc. Option B becomes problematic because its like a 18th century Newtonian physicist trying to understand Quantum Physics.

14. George1 Registered Senior Member

yes,perfect example. but with a little struggle and an open mind from the 18th century Newtonian physicist...boom.even him can understand.
    there is no motive for a 18th century Newtonian physicist not to understand Quantum Physics...that of course if you can teach him starting with the physics he knows.
    option B is therefore is the correct one,because it can show us the reality behind the scify. those who try and avoid it are those who WILL lose.

15. ricrery Banned Banned

Xeelee beat all.

16. ProphetofWisdom Almighty Tallest Registered Senior Member

Fixed.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

17. ricrery Banned Banned

Fixed to an unbeatable character.

18. Shogun Bleed White and Blue! Valued Senior Member

He can destroy the Death Star by pointing his fingers at it and saying "bang"

19. Omega133 Aus der Dunkelheit Valued Senior Member

The Death Star's beam is actually Chuck Norris being shot out of a cannon.

20. Shogun Bleed White and Blue! Valued Senior Member

Neither Luke Skywalker nor Anakin is the chosen one....Chuck Norris is. It would have been epic if they hired Chuck Norris for Star Wars.

21. Omega133 Aus der Dunkelheit Valued Senior Member

They couldn't. He'd end up kicking everyone's rear end.

But we should get back on topic.

22. Apocalypse2001 System Lord Registered Senior Member

well,yes. I am.

But also a Trekkie. But Iam appalled to see so many votes for Spaceballs!!!

Why the hell would they vote that over Stargate?! Some of you have also shown how SG has been able to bring down not only technologically superior races and unseen forces, but also powerful beings!! I don't understand the votes for spaceballs at all.

23. Omega133 Aus der Dunkelheit Valued Senior Member

I voted for Wars. But I think Spaceballs is funny. And you're telling me that something can survive the Schwartz, Megamaid, and Pizza the Hutt? Preposterous!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.