Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

baka...

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Good for it... it wouldn't be HITTING a wall, would it. It'd be hitting a shield which, last I checked, has no matter for you to detonate...

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Now, compare that to the 2 million KM + effective range of Federation Class 12 phasers (sovereign class) and torpedoes

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

Wait why didnt you ever mention that when they started this thread when there were all of those SW spammers on the thread? You could have helped me out when i was on ST side.

Really you play the games and read the books? Yet you manage to not even know the mostobvious facts about it until i mention them and you look them up on the web.

Warships are primarily used for planetery bombardment and close in fire support, that means using lighter weapons like bolters and plasma cannons, etc.

How bout the inside of TWO STARS (lolz that was a total joke if you didnt catch that

)

Im sorry, its hard to tell which is more useless.

Wait a second? From me saying that hundreds of lascannons against a void shield can destroy it, you gathered that your puny phasers are actually *cough* strong against them? Please, explain to me how you managed to *cough* logically explain this.

Anyways, if it took a puny little nano viruse to destroy 8472, wait till they meet the bio rounds that space marines can carry, man the acid in those eats through everything.

Anyways, a conversion beamer may be useless against a shield, but whom said your shields would survive it?

Anyways, from the number of my warships, even if you could bring 1,000 vessels to bear against me, i would still have enough vessels for each of your vessels to be facing off against 39 of my ships. Ive got number, and firepower. Worse comes to worse, we'll just ram yah. After several seconds both of the ship's shields would fail, after that you would be dead, there are several meters of Adamentium thick hull plating around the ship, that even when the shields were to fail, the hull was made to take nearly as much punishment, you cannot say the same about your ships,

8. Nasor Valued Senior Member

To navigate hyperspace you only need to avoid running into stuff. They certainly knew that the DS was there, they just didn't realize that is was an artificial moon instead of a "real" moon. It's also possible that since the DS was much, much larger than anything anyone had ever seen before, the ship's computer just automatically tagged it as a planetoid.
    A turn length in one game has zero to do with a turn length in another game. In 40k a turn can be used to move once and fire once, move twice without firing, or fire twice without moving. Saying that a soldier can only fire a semi-automatic gun once every four seconds is silly.

9. Nasor Valued Senior Member

How do you know that their weapons and armor are shit? Yeah, their weapons can take out their armor, but you don't really know how relatively powerful either one is. So far as I know, there is zero information about the ranges of their space weapons.

10. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

I was talking about 40K rather than the abortion of space warfare they call Battle Fleet Gothic.

But if you genuinely want some info I could beat up one of the small kids this weekend, nick his set of rules

and do an analysis.
    See if there's anything that's calculable.

11. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

Go do that Oli, is that how you solve all of you problems?

12. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

What beat up the small kids?
    Nah, it's just that I know for sure some of the younger members of our wargames club will have a set of rules, so I won't need to buy them.
    But the calculation and analysis?
    It's what I do for a living, among other things

13. Nasor Valued Senior Member

I played it a little years ago, and so far as I remember there's no real way to tell what the ranges are supposed to be. You move your little pewter ships around and shoot at each other, but the weapon rangers are all in terms of inches on the board with no clue about how far an inch is supposed to "really" be. If you knew the speed of the ships you could probably figure out the ranges by comparing movement distances to weapon ranges, but again, the speeds are all in terms of inches on the board rather than m/sec or something.

Although who knows, maybe they have more details now.

I'll agree that it was a terrible, terrible game though.

14. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

You can sometimes get the ground scale from clues in the background material that mentions speeds and times.
    It's a subtle method, but I've done it before: in both directions.
    One reason I'm biased toward Stargunt II (which I recommended in an earlier post) is that I did lot of work for the guy who wrote them (and I'm listed as "technical consultant in the credits

)

15. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

well it truly sound ST 1 WH40k 0

16. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

not quit because and i quote you "if your enemy has tons of lasers you're screwed" it there's one thing SW has tons of it are .....euh....Lasers????

17. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

:bugeye:

18. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

not a single (exept in the trench) torp is fired at the ds. why ?? maybe because it would have been a waste of ammo ??

19. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

hey can you calculate the distence between the ds and Yavin4 then?

20. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Pass on whatever info you have and I'll give it a go.
    I don't have any of my own stuff on SW or ST, since most of my SF stuff is my own work for other people.

21. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

Heh, but most of their lasers cant destroy a planet can they?

Mine do on a regular basis.I'd love to see SM beat the snot out of some sotrmtroopers.

22. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

Anyways, why doesnt a frigate cruiser or Battlebarge merely just ram a fed ship? They'd come out on top as far as hull durability goes, and probly even shields as well.

23. Nasor Valued Senior Member

So far as I know there are no descriptions of lasers destroying a planet in 40k. Usually when an exterminatus is declared against a planet, they just blow the hell out of the surface to kill everything. Planets can actually be destroyed with special multi-stage cyclonic missiles that burrow into the planet's core and then explode, but cyclonic missiles are rare and hardly ever used. There's usually no point in actually destroying a planet when you can just wipe the surface clean.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.