Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. USS Athens Very Special Senior Member Valued Senior Member

That's because they were never in a situation that required it.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Skywalker... here's the problem:

Ion Cannons wouldn't do anything. Period. The bare hull of starships in Star Trek can take far more high-em band energy than we've seen an Ion Cannon put out. Plus, how'd an Ion Cannon disrupt energetic plasma conduits (power delivery), isolinear circuitry, and bio-neural networks (data transfer, command and control)?

The fact that they even bother a Star Wars ship simply shows that they use basic wires to carry power and information around on their ships... wires that, when hit by an EMP, can overload the electrical systems.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Also, Trek ships CAN go .9 light speed on pure impulse... Voyager showed this a number of times, and the Ent-E has gone plenty fast on pure impulse...

Thing is, targetting computers and weapons are sufficiently advanced so as to not make this kind of speed much of an issue. However, when the TL's in Wars can barely hit a fighter pulling mach 5... how'd they ever hit a, granted, much larger, ship doing ~Mach 15?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. SkywalkerJedi アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) Registered Senior Member

Ion Cannons can also be used as a Plasma Cannon, that shows that Star Wars ships' shields are immune to plasma, because Ion Cannons do no damage. Why do Ion Storms give troble to Star Trek ship then? I said a rain of Ion shots, that will be the same as a Ion Storm.

8. SkywalkerJedi アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) Registered Senior Member

Are you drunk? Even Acclamator I-class assault ships are larger then USS-Enterprise E by almost 100 meters. Acclamator I-class assault ships are one of the smallest Star Destroyers. Star Wars use old fasioned triggers for a reason: a human brain is always more creative then a computer. They do use targeting computers for the "Big guns" such as Galaxy Gun, Eclips, Death Star and Sun Crusher. Republic can just fire concussion missiles at the UFP ships.

9. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Are you stupid or are you just trying to piss me off?

I'm making reference to the fact that they couldn't hit the damn fighters!

An X-Wing is FAR smaller than the Ent-E... but the Ent-E is over a thousand times faster at sublight!

Galaxy Gun, Eclipse, Eclipse 2, DS,Sun Crusher - they are all WORTHLESS. You want to know what will happen to them?

Galaxy Gun - after the first missile is destroyed, they'll reverse-track it's trajectory, find it's point of origin, and vaporize the launch platform with a tri-cobalt strike.

Eclipse 1 and 2 - these babies will fall to their proverbial knees under a hail of phaser, disruptor, and torpedo fire. If this isn't enough, they'll call in the big guns - we're talking things like the Heavy Phaser Cannons, Hellbore Cannons, Plasma Torpedoes, etc.

DS 1 & 2 - these hulking battlestations will be quickly overrun and captured as Trek mass-transports their crews into their brigs, stripping them of weapons, armor, and tools while still in transporter stasis.

Sun Crusher - will be eaten by a Doomsday Machine

Plasma cannon out of an Ion cannon... are you on crack? Ion =/= Plasma... in ANY way... I have an ionizer in my truck that cleans the air... does that mean I'm breathing energetic plasma? I sure hope not!

Ion storms give trek trouble with communications and such simply because of the level of interferance - the signal itself can't punch thru. They can stroll right into them no problem assuming their ship isn't heavily damaged already!

Now, METRION storms... aheh, they're another story!

10. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

So what? Haven't you ever heard of the story of David and Goliath?:bugeye:

Size isn't everything.

That's retarded. I'm sorry, but it is. The reason why Star Trek use computers for targeting is because ST starships move at much greater speeds than what a human can follow. Computers have the capacity to move at such speeds, which is surely proven in ST.

In SW, they don't. That's why their aim is so damn bad; they're attempting to keep pace with something moving at exceptionally high speeds.

Save for the Death Star, all of those aren't canon.

11. Saquist Banned Banned

Odd, I can't find where I said they did fire on Home One.

12. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

he thinks there were only 2 calamari cruisers present at Endor, Home One, and the one obliterated at the start of the battle. however the movie shows at least 2 more cruisers during the pitched battle. one in the scene i posted and another in a scene i'll post from home (i think this one is from the "winged" variant, like the one blown up).

13. Saquist Banned Banned

When the fleet pulls away from the Death Star at the end doesn't it show a bunch of ships?

14. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Indeed it does...

Star Wars debaters seem to have... trouble... shall we say... keeping their "facts" straight... it is most...

how does Seven put it...?

Irritating...

15. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

here is that cap:

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

it apears there are at least 2 calamari cruisers on this pic (just before that SSD bridge gets rammed).

16. Flectarn Unregistered User Registered Senior Member

17. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

NOICE Flectarn!

I like one of the others too - Blades... don't have to be reloaded.

Granted, nor do phasers... but...

18. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Okay, sorry about my delay in posting. I have real life issues to deal with. You know real life, that thing that happens away form the forums.

I heard somewhere that a full on phaser strike would flambe the entire atmosphere of a planet. Incorrect as we know from MNAY cases. We know a Photon Torpedo is many times more powerful than a phaser but they never have roasted a planets atmosphere. in fact we have seen many times full power phaser strikes used to destroy things in atmosphere without igniting it. Finally, if a 1,000+ gigatons explosion on Earth did not flash fry the atmosphere the energy needed to vaporize 30,000 cubic meters is not going to either.

19. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Okay Star trek and Speed.

We all know that maximum impulse on Star trek vessels is quite fast. This is a given as we have seen the ships move quickly out of combat. However save for the Defiant and TOS Enterprise we have not seen any vessel move more than ten times it's own length per second in combat. In fact the average seems to be 4200m/second to 6400m/second. Which is still damn fast, but is not even a real significant fraction of C. Now since we have not seen it in combat there must be some limitation in combat or combat thinking that keeps the being in Star trek from moving any faster while they are firing. Remeber the visuals of ST are canon, everything else is just BS.

20. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

However power is. Imperial Star Destroyers have NO weakspot in their shielding to exploit. Thus advantage ISD.

Actually in ST the ships are moving at speeds the viewer can easily see and in fact the ships computers often miss a vessel moving at a slight angle at less than 1000 meters per second. So Obviously ST has at least as many problems targeting as you claim SW has.

under Lucasfilm canon policy yes they are. SUCK IT UP!

21. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Incorrect. In "Who Mourns for Morn." we know that simple Ion storms that are not even a threat to our space shuttle can destroy shielded vessels with ease. on Voyager we saw a palnet armed with light ion cannons that could effect Voyager with EMP like effects. Ion cannons can effect shields and lectromagnetic fields of all kinds. Imagine what would happen in Antimatter storage. Ion cannons carried by ISD put out more power than the Warp core of a Galaxy Class Starships. Finally wires are much safer than the plasma conduits that explode all the time in Star trek.

22. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

One problem shithead...

In Star Trek: TOS, Scotty said, quite plainly, that the Enterprise (NCC-1701... not A-E...) had the phaser power to punch thru the planetary defense shields. HOWEVER, doing so would VAPORIZE the ENTIRE ATMOSPHERE of the planet.

It was said.

IN CANNON

What you like to think

MEANS ABSOLUTELY DICK

23. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Nice try... but you, cur, do not get to determine what is canon.

You have to take SOME visuals with a grain of salt... watching a running firefight at .6 the speed of light with weapons that actually went the speed of light would be VERY boring. Thus, they slow it down for cinematic purposes. However, if they SAY on the show, directly, the ship can do .8c on full impulse, then the ship can damn well do .8c on full impulse!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.