Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Uh, lets see.

No, no, no, no, sometimes, no, and fat chance.

They don't block the transporters 99% of the time... they just make it dangerous. You figure, you are taking a person apart at the SUB-SUB ATOMIC LEVEL! You need absolute precision to put them back together. ANY interferance is bad...

Though when you are beaming the bad guys out into space, you don't give two shits if they wind up being fried in the transporter, or if the buffer is wiped clean, or if they wind up with their nose attached to their left asscheak

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Negatory you fool... ET was a cameo and you can't prove it was actually ET. For all you know, it was some guy in a suit.

Just like the Millenium Falcon had a cameo in First Contact if you're quick enough to see it.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

It is stated in Trek that they do NOT have midichlorians.

Surprised? I bet you are!

Want to know the proof?

Midichlorians are nothing but a symbiotic parasite.

Star Trek transporters remove such things, down to sub-nano scale Protozoans, from the people it transports.

Thus, should Midichlorians have existed at some point, all starship crews (who have, at one time or another, used a transporter) do not have them.

End o discussion...

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Scott, the reason star trek is superior to star wars:

They can fly into, and back out of, a black hole without:

A) Being crushed
    B) Freezing in time
    C) Having the ship survive but the crew die
    D) Loosing main power
    E) Basicly, without taking any damage at all

also, a single aging Constitution class starship can punch thru a planetary shield with enough residual energy in the phaser beam to ignite the atmosphere of a planet, vaporizing said atmosphere instantly. Considering a Sovereign class is much, much more powerful, say goodbye to ALL of your inhabitable worlds.

And finally, your hyperspace is useless because our tractor beams work on gravitational fields. Since you cannot enter hyperspace in a gravity well, your ships are stuck where they emerge.

8. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Somehow I have the feeling even Galaxy Quest would defeat Star Wars...

Hell, you know what, I bet Alvin and the Chipmunks could... a bunch of teddy bears did!

9. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

not all transporters are subspace as such. there are subspace transporters and those have range of sevetal lys. they may have the ability to work through shields, but i'm not sure. it's been some time since i watched that episode.

10. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

1. all the galaxies in the SW universe may have midichlorians and thus force capability. if there is a version of Earth in that universe, people there would have it too. however in all OTHER universes there are no midichlorians and Force users. if ET had it, it means it happens in the SW universe. not all that strange since we know their creators are buds

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. i posted the caps, remember? sure the Falcon flew by some large asteroids, but we never see them destroyed on screen. for all i know if some of those were destroyed it might have been done with the heavy TLs and acording to my estemates they should be able to compleately blast 100+m asteroids. even barage is possible.

3. yeah, i know that, but so what? the way he uses it in his post leads to no conclusion what so ever. he thinks that Centerpoint is as mobile ass any starship, but we know it requires the gravity wells of two worlds to power it. his arguments are just in the category "my uncle is stronger then yours". no explanation, no data, no analasys....

11. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

actually the reason why i had not think of it, is that it seams rather silly

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

but there is another reason too. i never considered such subversive tactics in my analasys. i only worked with open warfare, and try to continue doing so. working with sociology and psychology factors is far trickier then working with brute destruction. allso i try to implement only the methods they used on screen even if that obviously does not seam to match their max capabilities.

now here are some speculations as for why the beam-out is not used as a tactic in ST. first and formost, it's not fun. but this does not count. so the in-world reason is, since they are aware of transporter technolgy, they have taken some preventory mesures. we do know fur sure that they posess transporter inhibitors. so it is expected that any crucial or vulnerable systems would be protected from transporter attacks. SW however has no reason for such countermesures, thus their ships may prove vulnerable. the shiled could be an issue during open combat, but during guerilla raids the ships could be cought without shielding. and even with shielding there is no undisputed confirmation that SW ships are compleately protected. hack they don't even raise their shields when in hot-pursuits in asteroids. Needa had to order the shields up when it apeared that the Falcon would attack.

12. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

actualy since birds of pray fight inside star's corona and ISD2s are reluctant to enter asteroid fields, i'd say this constitutes as canon.

13. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

actually we have no proof it does!!! and the last time i looked, the burden of proof falls on the one that claims the existance of an entity.

14. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

to Sardonic:

the thingy with the quarks is that, from our perspective it apears that the forcces holding them together are getting stronger as the the distance increases betwean them. so to break them apart it would take infinite energy. however in reality isolating the week nuclear interactions seem very energetic is because a lot of energy is required to isolate them from the EM or strong nuclear interaction. so much energy that it makes those conversion energy ineficient.in fact the week force is 10^13 times less powerfull then the strong nuclear force.

15. Saquist Banned Banned

It's been done several times notablly in Star Trek Voyager.
    Voyager had several subsystems removed.
    On the Federation side...the Equinox beamed the field generator right off Voyager while it was attached to main systems.

So despite your constant skeptism it is possible and it has been done.

16. Saquist Banned Banned

It doesn't need to say doesn't have it merely requires they fail to mention. If it's not mentioned then it doesn't exist.

Further...Star Trek is based on our reality not Star Wars reality.
    You're reaching pretty far up the colon for this one.... Scotty....DON'T!

17. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Scott is going to need a colonectomy after pulling this next round of bullshit out his ass...

18. SkywalkerJedi アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) Registered Senior Member

I only have time for 1 post today. Okay, where did it ever say in Star Trek " There are no midicorians. " or say there is no midicorians directly? No. Plus the only midiclorian needed is the user's for sensing ships, they don't need the enemy to have midicorians. Plus they can use the force because they have a large number of midicorians, not because of they simply have midicorians. Jedi can use force attacks. And you don't need the enemy to have midicorians to use force attacks either and you don't need everybody to have midicorians. You said that the Federation can transport midicorians, thats wrong, there are 5,000 midicorians per cell for a Jedi. And they can sense the transporters powering up, so they can move. The Ewoks are helped by the top Rebel commando team Regrenade Squdron in the battle and if Chewie never got in the AT-ST the Rebels would of been owned. You need to learn what Battle Meld and Battle Meditation does.

19. SkywalkerJedi アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) Registered Senior Member

Too can play. If never said in Star Trek that tractor beams can stop hyperdrives to jump to lightspeed or block turbolasers and Metallic Crystal Phase Shifters.

20. Saquist Banned Banned

It's not necessary to stop the hyperdrive...all that's need is to stop the jump into Hyperspace. It is canon that Star Trek Tractors stop ships attempting to travel at light speed.

Do you deny that it is canon that Star wars ships jump to lightspeed?
    Here is another opportunity for you to prove your case SJ.

21. Saquist Banned Banned

In Star Trek what is seen on screen is what is canon. Simple Logic. If no one said that Trek has midichlorians then to say there are is simple a non canon statement.

22. SkywalkerJedi アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) Registered Senior Member

I will post the text form the book Fury later, I have to find it and do my homework. I am willing to say that ships have to go outside the hanger to go to hyperspace.

23. SkywalkerJedi アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) Registered Senior Member

They don't need the enemy to have midicorians, as I have explained above. Only the user need midicorians.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.