Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

1. they are force-blind if there is no force
    2. the turbo laser that destoyed that asteroid is one of the smallest lasers used in the movies, thus the asteroid is no larger then 6m.
    3. so?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Saquist Banned Banned

GFFA (Galaxy Far Far Away) doesn't have cloaking tech superior to Trek.
    You think Sensor blind is superior to being able to to from inside the cloak?

Can you prove this statement by example?

There is such a thing as force fields and brigs.
    Federation Transporters can render all weapons useless.

Can you give an example of true superiority that has no trek equvilance?

Can you prove that "you need the fuel".
    Can you prove that another source cannot be substituted?
    Tractor beams in trek can prevent ships from moving in any direction. Firing at such low powerlevels would prove futile. And accurate phaser burst would disable it's shields and weapons.

show us...prove you statement accurate.
    Give us the text as it occurs in the book.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

oh my, you are yet to study any physics. inside the gravity well of a black hole the space time gets infinitly curved. there is no stronger effect than that. they flown inside a black hole by mistake in Voyager. back in season 1 or 2 i'm not sure, but you can find it on memory alpha. it's a silly idea but its canon. go figure... i never liked Voyager either.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

huh??? what episode was that?

8. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

what you don't belive him? find the data on the net yourself then. each array is composed of many emitters. the large arrays are composed of hundreds of emmiters. you can do a visual check on that.

9. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

not when you make make movies. especially bad ones like RotJ.

10. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

hahahaha....
    i never thought of that....
    you could actually dismentle their entire fleet this way. instant win for the cloacked ships

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

i thought you said they would flee

12. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

with a full firing arc at hteir disposal they can't hit Mount Everst if it's 10km away and cloacked.

13. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

it can disable a SW ship.

14. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

they will beam it out with the floor and walls. if they beam the jedi into open space they have no probs

15. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

plenty of fuel for fusion generators around here. even here on Earth

16. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

what gravity wells? there were no interdictors present!!!

17. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

There is a reason you hadn't thought of it. The word is Shielding. You have to get past the shielding. Which is incredibly unlikely given the dual layers of shields and the intensity of said shields on SW vessels. Other factors to consider are the density of materials, sensors jamming, internal shielding, distortions around the hyperdrive....and so on.

If it was so easy to beam out sections of an enemy ship it would be done by everyone in ST.

18. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Actually from what we know the Force exists everywhere. Even the Yuzhan vongs glalxy has it. Jedi just happen to go insane past the edge of the galaxy as there is so little life out there it is like bing in solitary confinement.

According to your (flawed) scaling. However according to Lucasfilm they were 40 to 200 meters in diameter. Look at the scene again, if the asteroid had been 6 meters across it wouldn;t even be but a few pixels on the screen. Now look at the chase scenes where four TIE's were following the Millenium Falcon. Most of the astroids there were several times the lenght of the Falcon., Save for the asteroid collision.

It means unless they were unique and destroyed they are in the fight.

19. Flectarn Unregistered User Registered Senior Member

As far as fighters go, it appears to be hit or miss on weather their shielded or not.

But yeah, actual capital ships would present... dificulties

20. Montec Registered Senior Member

Hello all

Last time I checked the ST transporters worked through subspace channels. Is there any SW cannon that gives the shields of SW the ability to block these subspace channels?

21. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

All shields seems to block ST transporters, even relatively primative ones. Also Ion storms, sensor interference, radiation, dense materials and plethora of other factoers. In fact the list goes on and on. Seeing as how SW shields are superior in everyway as demonstrated by canon information, I see little that says SW shields would not block Transporters.

22. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Well, fighter shields are powerful, but there is a limit. You can build masive shield generators on a capital ship, however on a small fighter you have engines, lifesupport, weapons, powerplant, and so on taking up valuable space. Now if you were a fighter designer what would your prioroties be, considering that you don't have room for Capship shielding no matter what you choose.

Since all ships have particle shields at the very least and composed of heavy metals, transporters are useless as an offensive weapons. As defensive it has promise if you beam out large quantities of water and watch the fun.

23. Sardonic Crisis The God Emperor Registered Senior Member

So playing with quarks doesn't provide energy... I've read a critique saying that if you fuse quarks you can get a power output several million times that of hydrogen fusion. the smaller the particle the harder to break it apart or fuse it with another. hell the sun relies on the fusion of protons to create its energy.
    He felt the many people die there not the planet itself exploding.
    I agree, try to get scott to concede that... he thinks just because it extends beyond the known SW galaxy that it will extend into the multiverse.
    And my goal is to prove Dune superiority through tactics and strategies and not merely firepower. (I have been caught in an annoying debate of firepower though)
    Actually, I've noticed that Scott takes the position of "what I can't see and don't acknowledge won't hurt me". He has ignored my arguments and continually refuses to acknowledge material that is obviously from Frank Herbert's own hand.... I wonder what universe he holes himself into so he doesn't have to see reality.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.