New book calls science a "Priesthood"

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by rpenner, Dec 24, 2011.

1. Aqueous Id flat Earth skeptic Valued Senior Member

No, why are you pretending to be an arrogant twit, instead of a human being?

Why do pretend that you don't know how to formulate a question?

What makes you so special?

Can you ask a simple question that fills the deficiencies of your thinking?

Can you test yourself?

Can you cross check any basic idea you hold to be true against evidence?

Did you ever make a decent grade in school by claiming to know everything?

Who would you and I both agree is a perfect role model for scientific inquiry?

What the hell is inquiry to a man who's already a god of science in his own mind?

Do you hear voices?

Do you know know the meaning of the term delusions of grandeur, and what it is most often associated with?

Why are you so dead set on clowning everybody?

Can you pick one single fundamental principle - how about the Pythagorean theorem, or the quadatic formula - and discuss it lucidly, without all the smoke and mirrors?

Why not?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Pincho Paxton Banned Banned

Why would someone who posts such stupid replies think that they can actually figure me out?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Aqueous Id flat Earth skeptic Valued Senior Member

Why can't you answer a simple question?

Why can't you formulate a question correctly, without bias, hyperbole and slur?

Why are you perpetrating this fraud?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Pincho Paxton Banned Banned

Again.. fail.

8. Aqueous Id flat Earth skeptic Valued Senior Member

No, I've nailed you to the wall, and you're left without a clue how to handle me.

We already have evidence that you took my earlier post and singled out every reference I made to cranks, religious opponents of science, and conspiracy theorists.

You took umbrage, highlighting the words in red, the color of anger.

I nailed you, I flushed you out, I called you dishonest, and I checked you for your lack of knowledge, your arrogance, and your disguise.

And all you can say is "stupid" and "fail". C'mon Pincho, be a man. Step up to the plate here. You set this in motion, not me. I wasn't even aware that you were so edgy about issues like conspiracy theory. You jumped in the car, so let's go for a ride. I'm game. Answer the mail, man. Stand up and defend something. Show me you have even one grain of honesty.

9. Aqueous Id flat Earth skeptic Valued Senior Member

Now that's what I call honesty.

10. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

ROTFLMAO!!!!!

Quit your whining!!! bwahahahahahaha

11. Pincho Paxton Banned Banned

You didn't do anything but prove your immaturity.

12. Aqueous Id flat Earth skeptic Valued Senior Member

No. I came at you with candor, in a round of dialogue with you, first telling you your language was unclear, then offering suggestions to help me understand your meaning, and so on. I even went drilling through some of your long threads that supposedly advanced something you called a theory, which I waded through in excruciating misery, expecting to find some clever riddle hidden in it somewhere. That was a while ago. This time, you engaged me with umbrage over a my post a few pages back, but then you launched into a tirade against Newton and Einstein that was completely non sequitur. Your post displayed every mark of immaturity, in particular, a kind of grandiose narcissism coupled with a loathing for the science you claim to master, and for the masters who have already established themselves but who you want to impugn for no other reason than to advance your own self image. This is all I called you to the carpet for.

So has the cat got your tongue? I'd like to hear you explain the smallest tidbit of knowledge in the simplest of terms, without the bullshit, just as if we were sitting across from each other having a cup of coffee, exchanging ideas like two grown men.

The rest is styrofoam. This is your big chance to make it pay. I haven't written you off. I truly believe you are capable of conversing with me. I just don't understand the game you are playing. So why not just drop the facade and get real? That's all I have ever said to you, and that's not the voice of immaturity, but of someone who's right here, like you, interested in hearing other points of view and giving our own perspective.

Go for it. I'm listening.

13. Pincho Paxton Banned Banned

There are threads for discussion....

http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?p=2899275#post2899275

But I think you are just playing a silly game.

14. Trooper Secular Sanity Valued Senior Member

15. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Pincho Paxton:

Thankyou for the links. There is actually some science there, although nothing to do with your claims, of course:

When you, Pincho, post a mashed-up version of a popular science article you've read, it becomes incomprehensible. Since you obviously don't understand what you're reading, it's no wonder that the relevant concepts and findings get changed into a kind of Pincho mush that is meaningless.

Maybe you should cite articles such as these in future, so people can read them unhindered by your inane nonsense and interpretations.

Is this an accusation directed at everybody else on sciforums that they are posting lies?

If so, you'd better back up your accusation with some links to relevant posts, along with proof of the lies you are accusing people of. Such accusations are serious. If you make them with nothing to back them up, I will consider you to be trolling. Trolling may result in a ban from sciforums.

Because people use the concepts of past, present and future in their daily lives.

This question is meaningless rubbish.

Some of the quantum theories we have (e.g. QED) are among the most accurate scientific theories that exist. They have been tested to absurd degrees of accuracy against experimental evidence.

You don't know any quantum physics, of course, so you're completely unqualified to make any comment on this.

If you claim there are errors in quantum physics, please post them, along with your proofs or evidence.

This question is meaningless nonsense.

Chances are that you don't understand how physicists use the word "vacuum".

This question is meaningless nonsense.

I don't know.

Tell me how a Bose Einstein condensate shows where time actually originates. Please include all the relevant mathematics in your explanation.

This question is based on a false premise and is therefore meaningless nonsense.

Because you're deluded and you have an overblown ego.

16. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Me-Ki-Gal:

Hearing voices and music that nobody else can hear may indicate a mental illness. Please seek professional help.

Either you stopped taking your medication, or you haven't sought professional help and are on a downward slide.

Please, I urge you to seek professional psychiartric help as soon as possible.

17. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Don't take MKG too seriously. He likes to pull our chains. He does indeed march to his own drummer but he has a wife, a job and some successful, well-adjusted kids. So far his drummer has not marched him off a cliff.

18. Aqueous Id flat Earth skeptic Valued Senior Member

Whereas you are strictly business:

But wait: Is the priesthood of the science of testing also in your crosshairs?

Speaking of testing science, what test uses the term "genius level"?

Or did you mean you scored a perfect 100 (i.e. for μ=100) ?

19. Pincho Paxton Banned Banned

Your replies are just another sad day for science. They are like Dwdyyre (whatever his name is) saying wrong, wrong, wrong.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  20. wellwisher Banned Banned

But aren't all hit songs created that way. The artist hears the tune or song first in their minds and then writes it down and records it so the masses can enjoy it. Most people lack this skill and would have a barren life void of art, if others could not do this and were willing to share. After a new hit song, maybe we could ask the artist to seek professional help since this is crazy.

The memorizers, barren of creativity, think all knowledge just appeared out of nowhere ready for them to memorize. But in reality all knowledge synthesis begins in the imagination of the creators. Einstein could not go to the library to find relativity. He needed to invent it. He may have looked crazy to the masses, preoccupied with something that did not yet exist in reality. This is natural.

21. Aqueous Id flat Earth skeptic Valued Senior Member

You can easily test this by engaging in a casual conversation in a room with two other people. Let one of them be composer John Williams. Let the second person be a psychotic who hears sounds due to hallucinations.

It won't take you or John Williams very long to dial 911.

22. RealityCheck Banned Banned

Hahaha! Good one, mate!

Warning: Humour in the same vein........ :m:

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

oke:

Given the 'plagiarism' epidemic we hear so much about, perhaps that poor 'second person' fellow would do well to 'write down and publish' (on a used envelope or whatever is at hand) on the way to the 'hospital' so that neither you nor the composer can claim to have come up with the 'next hit tune' his fevered brain concocted 'out of the blue' haze whence hallucinations come?

After all, given what has been 'popular' over the years, one never knows what a crazy, psychedelic-mushroom-ingesting 'second person' can come up with that might turn out to be the next tune we whistle/hum, or next beat we move to, when we next catch ourselves unwittingly enjoying that 'crazy' stuff which began as an 'hallucination' in the mind of that poor 'second person' you (and/or your composer friend) might even now be in litigation with for the 'rights' to that poor fellow's mad musings that seemed 'mad' at the time but which 'grew on you' later?

History is replete with stories like that.

The moral of the story?.....First impressions can be misleading? The fine line between genius and madness is a fine and an 'oscillating' (a-la-Heisenberg-Uncertainty) one, depending on who is on which side of that line at any given instant? One man's craziness is another man's plagiarism opportunity, or missed opportunity, as the case may be?.......[Add your own favourite saying here; no need for it to make any sense; after all, we're all mad to some degree or we wouldn't be posting on the net instead of having a real life 'outside', hey!]

PS: Hi Pincho Paxton! I for one read your (and certain others' here and elsewhere on the net) work with interest, through a 'broader filter' of my own novel perspective. So you/certain others don't come off as 'completely crazy' to me when I read as you/others intend it to be read; since some of what you/certain others observe is not as 'mad' as some may 'kneejerk'. Of course, some of your/others' perspective may be slightly 'off' what I would consider 'consistent' in my own perspective, but some of it is VERY close, very close indeed. I trust this admission of open-minded reading of your/others' work with a view to unifying all the partial perspectives extant (both amateur and professional) will not be construed as a license to all and sundry to kneejerk to this and 'tar me' with whatever 'brush' they happen to be carrying with them at the time!

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  23. Trooper Secular Sanity Valued Senior Member

I know you’re from Australia but whereabouts, RC? Um…Queensland?

If so, maybe we should consider sending Erin Brockovich your way.

All in good fun, cheers!