Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Criti Registered Member

There isn't telepathy in the animal kingdom. As mentioned, many animals have extra sensory nodes that can help them tap into natural things that we, as humans, cannot. Sharks, for example, can detect EM currents within the planet. If you ever get the chance (depends largely on where you are and what type of college you go to/went), try to be involved in some Marine Biology field experiments. I witnessed one that ran powerful magnets near young Bull shark pups... really through the little buggers through a loop, demonstrating fairly strongly that they are indeed sensitive to magnetism, rather than possessing some special "mind power" (term used to be as generic as possible). That's not telepathy. That's science.

And I'm not sure exactly what you mean by the Jedi/Q comment. Are you saying that you can ignore Jedi power because Q's is greater? Or are you saying that you can call them the same?

Because you certainly cannot even REMOTELY compare the Jedi with the Q. The Q are omnipotent. Q can do anything, anytime. And if he doesn't like the time, he goes to a different one. The Jedi can lift things with their mind. Oooh...

Where? Where is SW more realistic than Star Trek? I don't think I've seen a single thing on SW that ST didn't do more realistically. Including convey the emotions of war. SW had a bunch of one dimensionsal characters whose emotions were poorly developed and poorly portrayed. Watch Deep Space Nine's episode "The Siege of AR-558" ONCE, and you get a better, deeper, more realistic vision of war than you'd get from watching all the Star Wars movies 50 times.[/b]

Decent character development.

Moderately good acting.

Realism in the slightest.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

at least they fire themselfs. In ST they are to lazy

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

Lazy or not, it leaves the Fleeters alive, and the Stormtroopers dead!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Saquist Banned Banned

I put some of the figures in a combat simulator that the memebers of this forums have figured out for star wars vs star strek.

An Sd being about six to eight times the firepower of the GCS per shot is a formidable ship. I isolated the the six to eight in all anit-fighter batteries. This made the GCS about 1400 per second and the GCS anti fighter batteries about 233 per shot.

I also isolated the anti fighter batteries to about 10 kilometers or less in firing range. Mean while the heavy Turbolasers were give a power of 900 per shot and further isolated to the eight main batteries around the command structure.

I then dramticly reduced the accleration turning radius and max acceleration of the SD to something to that as seen in the movies that wouldn't catch fighters off guard and allow them to manuver for bombing runs.

The results:

In Long Range Combat the SD can effectively dicourage most Federation ships and with a shield power 3 to four times that of the SD it can readily take on a GCS at range. But will not deal in serious or moderate damage. But once the GCS comes into range of the main batteries it delivers quite a pounding.

8. USS Athens Very Special Senior Member Valued Senior Member

What their manned turrets? If so, that's not even possible. Who has the reaction time to be able to react to a ship move at a very high velocity?

9. Saquist Banned Banned

TRUE

But Star Wars does have computer aided turrets on the captial ships...This means that typically Star Wars Fighters and dogfights occur at more terristrial speeds.

10. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

Ignoring for the moment that a forum fuelled simulator would be filled with bias..

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Personally, after getting over the "impervious to laser" shields thing...i figure one Galaxy Class Starship would be eventually outgunned by one ISD, shot for shot. If the GCS were to win, it'd be due to an unorthodox Geordi special, like the deflector dish weapon.

11. USS Athens Very Special Senior Member Valued Senior Member

What? Hmmmmm... I don't know about that. Photon torp in ISD reactor. No good for reactor.

12. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Or simply beam the ISD bridge into space... or better yet beam ISD reactor into the bridge

13. cjard Registered Senior Member

Q Continuum.
    Star Trek wins.
    Game over.

(Show me ONE thing in Star Wars that can stand up to a small collective of entities who can turn the universe inside out on a whim. The Q spend most of their time squabbling abongst themselves because there is noone else to have a reasonable squabble with)

14. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

That's why I said shot for shot. The photon torpedo into the reactor requires the Galaxy Class getting inside. If a GCS and an ISD faced each other and pounded against shields (or hull plates in the case of the ISD) with standard weapons, the GCS would probably run out of ammo first.

Unless again, they use the deflector beam thing to slice the ISD in half.

The transporter is unorthodox for the Warsies...but yes Kitt, that'd work beautifully

15. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

The Q Continuum is pretty large actually. At any rate, in this lengthy and verbose debate, we kinda semi-agreed to try to stay away from the supernatural beings in each universe.

Besides, Trek has enough to stand on its own. Transporters, the future Feds etc.

16. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Trek wins hands down.

Why?

1) Future federation is canon. Thus, the current federation can NEVER be destroyed because if it was the future federation would never exist. We know the future federation exists, thus the current federation must win any and all battles that could result in it's elimination.

2) Intelligent engineers - like Geordie's Deflector Dish superweapon or the Corbomite Reflector... when have you EVER seen such ingenuity in a Wars engineer? Never... think outside the box and you get shot.

3) Transporters - 'nuff said

4) Tactical Weapons and Speed - Trek Phasers/Disruptors have no tracking - they can be fired in almost any direction from almost any strip on the ship. Also, Trek ships can run circles around wars ships.

5) QuantumSlipstream - Wars wouldn't know what hit it when a dozen Fed battlecruisers used their SlipStream Drive to do a quick artilliary pass.

17. Saquist Banned Banned

It was Star Trek Bridge Commander by Activision

I diregarded the "impervious to laser".
    The GCS has the advantage of superior firepower, Long Firing Range, an High manuverability compared to the ISD.

It's all in how you use the GCS. A direct conflict would have an unfortunate end for the GCS. Fighters maybe necessary or even shuttles to bypass the ISD's shields and take out the shield generators like was done in Return of the Jedi that way the GCS could approach and deal lethal damabe to the ISD's super structure.

18. Saquist Banned Banned

It would basicly take around 3 GCS to take on the ISD directly at a ranage of 2000 meters or less.

I put the Dominion Hunter/Killer Cruisers up against the ISD modified to FILM SPECS and the ISD won by a hair losing all it's shield but bring down one Cruise took some time and Dominion weaponry is substanial. As a result I'd say that 3 Hunter/Killers are more than enough to destroy a Single ISD on a coordinated attack.

19. Saquist Banned Banned

Oh and I have pictures If you'd like to see.

20. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

Yes please.

21. Reiku Banned Banned

Yeh... Just imagine it.
    Data vs. C3-PO
    I wonder who would win?

22. USS Athens Very Special Senior Member Valued Senior Member

Dammit, Data would win hands down, C3PO is a pansey.

23. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

C3PO is practically incapable of battle. He is a protocol droid...programmed for negotiations and translations. Data was a sentient machine, capable of learning any skill, inclusive of battle technique, which he had demonstrated many times before sacrificing himself to save the Alpha Quadrant from Shinzon's Scimitar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.