Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Mhm, as you were saying Scott?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

No, I just believe in keeping the argument to Canon and not your trek-wank.

A canon-god? You mean they have worshippers? Pfffffft. Q is damn impressive I will give you that, but we have seen hism do naught but time and space manipulations. We have not seen him create something from nothing. We knows he fears a person whose race was devastated by the Borg. No why would he fear her, unless he is not as omnipotent as he claims.

As for the Jedi, they just weren't breathing 2000 dregree air, they were breathing it at the same time they were performing feats of agility and engaging in a sword fight. Now that is just as Impressive as anything the Q have done. Mainly becuase the chemists here know that keeping flesh uncooked in that heat, is impossible.

Actually i never said Subspace rips never happen in SW. Any ship with a Hyperdrive actually submits itself to the stresses of ripping inot an alternate reality every time the hyperdrive is engaged.

Besides you were the ones who were thinking the Enterprise E would be ripped asunder. Hell for all we know it could have just shorted out the power plants if it hit. Or tossed the ship around a bit. Or been like hit by ten photn torpedoes, or any number of things. We never actually got to see what it did.

Lasers have been outmoded this I agree, but you would also have to agree that the only resemblance that Turbolaser has to a Laser is name only. The beam does not act like a laser, and like we always say Visuals over Dialogue. Like I have explained before Torbolaser just might be the brand name, or a slight misnomer like Disrupter Rifle. After all is a Disrupter's barrle rifled?

And I can argue against the certatinty of a Subspace rift destroying a ship. We have not seen it done. We might have seen what happens if a ship goes to warp in a Subspace rift, but that is different animal.

The only Proof is visuals, everything else is conjecture.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

http://www.sciforums.com/images/editor/color.gif

*yawns* more of your surrogate suppositions shot down.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

boosh!

8. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Aw, no more bullshit scott? I was on a roll there! It's fun proving you an idiot, but it's almost too easy.

9. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Okay first you were the one saying that a active Warp over shadows an inactive warp, so bviously you must be plauying Clavinball

Second, notice I said prepare. Probably childs play to switch out the warp sustainer engines of a Photon Torpedo for the mini warp cells in some probes. Keep travelling long enough and viola.

Also you have no proof that it pulls the tear towards you when you head to warp. Only that a ship in the tear should not Warp.

Actually we know no such thing. They never come out and say it. They never even imply it. Hell it could be set to "Fit to width of screen'

Actually the first two are identical except for scale, all a Rift is is a really big Tear. And they were just moving away form the tear as it formed. They were pulling it accross space, and oddly it was slowing them down, but any movie goer could see it was not catching up in a hurry. They could have used it to destroy a So'na ship and still had time to ditch it. But they didn't. Possibly becuase it was pulling on the Warp core and creating a fear of breach. Or perhaps it just slowing down the ship. If the tear was truly that effective why didn't the sona create more of them?

Well, you have yet to document the effect of a Subspace Tear or Rift, well except exploding ships that go to warp. Problem is you have to prove it is capable of doing what you claim. Or at least get the creator to agree with you claims

I'm covered becuase we know the Death Star obliterates planets. I'm also covered becuase Lucas agrees with 12.5 gigatons.

I like how you can give the quote for the first part, but not the other two parts. i mean in Insurrection they seemed slightly surprised that the Warp core was dragging the tear like a zipper. Not majorly, but slightly.

However as you said it is unpredictable, meaning you could probably never get a result like that again.

BTW Tear, Rip, Rift, Hole, Puncture, all same difference and if you can't see that perhaps that is your problem

A) lazy engineering trick of lowering your shields in a frequency so your weapons can pass through
    B) Slightly smarter engineering trick where you can change frequecies just in case some dipshit leaks the setting
    C) Can't be that different if the shield grid can create one
    D) Nope, sorry, Along with the Krenim Temporal weapon they are nonexistant in actual timeline. May exist in Alternate What if...? timelines, but completely inaccessible that to Temporal Prime Directive.
    E) Speaking to yourself again?

Your Sci Fi is weak. You have yet to explain why they would skip over SW shields despite vast diffence in design and operations.

10. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Hey, Kittamaru, i know you directed the first part of your statement to me. The second part, i really do not care about your seating arrangments. And the third, do you have MPD and are talking to yourself?

The only person you have proved an idiot, is Kittamaru

11. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Interesting. Your inventions and fabrication are canon? Unless your name is Gene Roddenberry, I think not

As for your term of Wars Wank, Star Wars fan actually can get laid you realize, much unlike the majority of Trekkies. So if anyone needs wank.....

Actually to properly be a God you do need worshippers, asshole. Other wise you are just some jerk with powers.

Second, yes he does fear Guinan. If he didn't he would smimply teleport her to a star. But he doesn't, why?

Third, creating an maintaining a forcefield with air and warmth inside is well within federation technology.

Finally Q has not shown the ability to alter minds at all. Hormone levels certainly. But not actual emotions

First it is possible to get white hot glowing metal without it being even 350 degrees F. however this is impressive act, that is not obtainable by the untrained.

However I bet you you will find no individual on earth that can have a several minute long sword fight standing just feet above flowing lava and wearing normal clothes. Hell i bet you can find no individual on earth that could survivwe 1000 degree air temperature unaided by technology.

Actually no difference as by visuals we know that the front part of the ship does enter Hyperspace first as well as exit it. We also know that misjumps do occur. Mostly resulting in minor damage or temporal displacement. Only extremely rarely does a misjump result in destruction of the ship

Still it does not matter you have to prove that a sublight ship would be destroyed by a subspace rip, something we have not seen.

Actually we have no real indication that a Subpace rip would destroy a ship. Dialogue is well and good, but untill proven by visuals or by the creator, Dialogue is essentially meaningless. Hence why I will drop the 400 gigawat argument. The other one is more fun anyway.

Visuals always overide Dialogue. Characters can be mistaken, but a visual cannot be wrong. That's the rules of reality. I mean who do you believe a zoologist saying that Polar bears have white skin, or the shaved polora bear in the background with blackskin?

As for the Blasters comment, like you admited with the Disruptor rifle simililarities account for the name. Description and effect as well as the mechnaics of the weapon, lasers heating a blaster gas into a super hot plasma to cuase a particle beam emmission says something else. plus honestly a laser moves at C and Turbolaser bolts just don't move quite that fast.

Since you cannot remeber and episode name, or even some specifics or thatn a ship destroyed by a tear, we cannot rely on your information. I do rely on the efferct seen with the massive tear that the scientist intentionally caused. Revving up the warp cuased the tear to expand and some damage to the ship. They had to ride out the pulse waves like a frigging surfer.

Okay realizing that you meant ST. Some have theorized that the testing of the first nuclear bomb would have been visible from the moon. So don't be too cocky.

Given how far way the fleet was from the Death Star you hardly would see the explosions. Especially after seeing ROTS and seeing how little damage 12.5 gigatons did to ships like that, even with their shields down. Remeber that SW has stable neutronium in their hulls. maybe not a lot, but enough to make life fun.

12. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

C'mon scott, you can do better than that

13. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

Funny you should mention this TW. Because you're actually being dishonest. You see, Lucas Arts has two canon systems. They have one for the movies, where the movies alone are canon, and they have the ones which apply to EU. In essence, there is a policy for both movie only fans and movie+EU fans.

He meant in terms of power (better would be to say demi-god). And as for Guinin, you fail to realize what is actually taking place. In Q Who, Q mentions that she is more dangerous than Picard knows and offers to get rid of her for him, when this is said, she takes up a defensive posture. No, not "no, don't hurt me!" kind of posture, but a posture as if she was going to cast a spell, or try to do something back to Q. So more than likely, she's actually dangerous.

Though an out of universe explination is that it was just a sub-plot that never got fleshed out, where Guinin is a being with powers that rival Q (though Q is stronger) and it just never came to be.

Big F*ing deal. The battle with multiple Q's caused super novas as the side effects of their battles. Both Q and Amanda stood outside of the Enterprise D while it was moving faster than the speed of light, talking as if they where taking a light stroll. Amanda created puppies out of thin air, before she even knew she was a Q. Q caused a Warp Core breach, and when it started to explode, Amanda easily reversed the effect. In a game of hide and seek, Q popped his head out of the warp core. Q turned someone into a dog. He also gave Riker the powers of Q, not to mention created hot women out of thin air. He even shrunk an energy attacker to fit in the size of his hand after re-gaining his powers. The Q even exacuted Amanda's parents with a tornado, ignoring even the weather modification net. Amanda was even able to reverse the effects of countless years of planetary pollution to a perfect planetary state. Q has shown the ability to time travel, and not only that, is able to send people into a time jumping mode where they jump from past, to present, to future. He's even created a wall of plasma, and followed a UFP ship at light speed, not to mention hurled said ship a quater of the way across the galaxy in seconds, something both Borg, Imperial, and UFP ships cannot do. All with the snap of his fingers. He's even able to change the constants of the universe. He's even said it himself that using the power of Q is basicly just wanting it to happen.

And the Jedi? Oooh, they managed to cool the air around them enough in a sword fight. Whoop di fucking do.

*yawn*

Prove that SW subspace and ST subspace are the same thing.d

Given that the crew was thinking "Oh, shit!", one might assume something very bad was going to happen.
    Really? You seemed to assume that sub-space in SW is the same as ST, so why can't we assume the very same thing with lasers?

Bullshit. Or how about when the Mirror Universe was looking at their Archer's profile and it just happened to be the other one's file?

14. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

That was incredibly boring...

Last edited: Jul 14, 2007
  15. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

Er, the gay lovers thing was sorta out of line, though not because it was directed at Scott, but rather as its insulting to gay people. Or even gay star wars fans.

Now Scott, you're an idiot. Being a Trekkie doesn't have anything to do with the ability to get a girl. Hell, I'm dating a girl right now, and in fact am going to see a movie with her this Sunday. Your comments are horribly off and are incredibely insulting.

What makes you think that Trekkies are exceptionally ugly or otherwise unable to get dates or even have sex? And of course, what about women trekkies?

16. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

*bows slightly* Admitedly they were out of line- I have thusly edited the post to no longer insult anyone else but scott which I don't believe is out of line because his posts are reflecting more and more just how little he knows.

17. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

No worries, I suspect you did it in the heat of the debate, that and its a common insult. However, just like nigger, it tends to offend others who you don't mean to.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

But yes, Scott has gone off the deep end. At least when he argued just the weapon yields there was still some respect to his name, though be it just a shred. Now not only has he tried to smear the UFP in such a dark light its not even funny. We all know that the UFP isn't perfect, nor are the writers, but his little fantasies about the UFP being some sort of horrible government worse than the Empire is beyond insanity. He's gone too far with his sexual insults as well.

18. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

*shrugs* I can attest to Trekkies having no problem getting laid. Though I'm not proud to admit it, I'm not a virgin anymore and I'm only 19... I'm glad nothing came of it, but it wasn't like I had to pay someone or anything *shrugs* just my girl and I and we got carried away and crossed the line...

19. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

Still a virgin and I'm 19 myself.

Wouldn't be too worried about not being a virgin though.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

20. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

I'm just proving a point is all. Proving scott wrong is getting all too easy.

21. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

True, even my brother who knows next to nothing about Star Trek could tell you that some of the stuff Scott is pulling out of his ass is bullshit.

22. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

I played D&D with a bunch of my friends tonight. Eight of us in all, seven of us are big Wars and Trek fans. ALL OF THEM agreed- Trek would win for sheer firepower, defenses, and ability.

23. halo07guy Registered Senior Member

Actually Kittamaru, Han was referring to compleatly destroying a planet, as in blowing it to pieces.A fleet of about 8 or so ISDs could turn the surface of a planet into molten slag fairly quickly.

There is absolutely no air in space. It has been proven by astronomers. So an explosive shockwave would be nearly non-existant.

Lasers in names are a misnomer in SW. Scientists have proven that. There was a whole documentary about SW tech that aired fairly recently on the History Channel. I suggest some of you watch it.

I'm willing to bet that the Empirecould win, if it was willing to mass-produce Ark Hammer, Eclipse, Vengence, and Sovereign class Star Destroyers( not so much the Ark Hammer line of ships though). Kuat Drive Yards could probably produce a fairly large number of each class of ship in one month. I mean, it does have a huge metallic ring that circles and orbits it that is entirely devoted to the mass-production of ships.

I'm pretty sure there is proof of replicators in SW tech. I mean, the Empire was only in power for about 40 years, and managed to build up a fleet of 25,000 ISDs in that time period. And about 90% of those were built at Kuat. The Empire does have many production worlds, but having 1 world produce almost your entire fleet has to speak something of production methods and building. You would almost certainly need replicators to make ships that fast. And thats not counting smaller ships or the capabilitys of other worlds.

And the ST people are assuming all their sides would join together. I'm pretty sure the Klingons, Borg, and Cardassians would take advantage of the Federation's situation. The same goes for SW people. To qoute the Prophet of Truth from Halo: " Politics, how tiresome". I mean think about it. The Federation would be invaded by an economically and physically larger empire. Though I'm thinking the Federation would aid the Rebels.

Personally, I think a more intresting match-up would be Halo vs. Battlestar Galactica.

Of course, I wonder how far the more questionably legal groups in the Federation would be willing to go for some Spice, the wonder-drug.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.