Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Well thanks for the correction on Milky Way size.

the problem witha full on war is that the sides are no where near equal. Has been a Galaxy spanning since before the Vulcan-Romulan split. The galaxy is larger, the aliens more diverse and more heavily populated. Add in technological advantage as SW steamrolls over ST every time in a straight up war. The only chance ST could possibly have is deus ex machina, but if they get that so does SW and then it cancels out.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Flectarn Unregistered User Registered Senior Member

so i just watched a new hope... and i picked up an interesting line during the yavin battle.

~"we've picked up the enemy sir, they have about 30 ships, but their two small for our turbo lasers to hit"
    does this mean there aren't any anti-fighter weapons on the death star save it's ties, and the (manually fired) turrets seen firring on the x-wings are intended for an anti-ship role? these same turrets that half the time seem to damage the x-wings engines (happens to like 3 of them, probably glancing shots, but still)

also found it interesting that Darth's tie fighter only damaged r2... and that looked like a pretty direct hit.

blasters do seem effective against concrete in the mos eisly hanger though... and steel grates on the death star. cursed inconsistent firepower levels.... i still don't believe that cantina's made of durasteel though... looks like adobe (so does the hanger for that matter) but I'd be willing to believe concrete... but nothing metalic

just more things to think about.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

Hey Scott, back here to finally respond to my posts that you could never counter? Or are you just here to start up some new shit?

Also, it has also been debunked that EU is part of the Star Wars canon, but is rather its own world:

http://www.starwars.com/theclonewars/news/news20080317.html

Last question asked in the interview:

Do you think you'd have other people continue the Star Wars saga past Episode VI or turn some of the other material into films?

But there's no story past Episode VI, there's just no story. It's a certain story about Anakin Skywalker and once Anakin Skywalker dies, that's kind of the end of the story. There is no story about Luke Skywalker, I mean apart from the books. But there's three worlds: There's my world that I made up, there's the licensing world that's the books, the comics, all that kind of stuff, the games, which is their world, and then there's the fans' world, which is also very rich in imagination, but they don't always mesh. All I'm in charge of is my world. I can't be in charge of those other people's world, because I can't keep up with it.

We do not know the density of the asteroid field, and even if we assume that they could follow it, they would have to do so slowly, while the torpedoe speeds off at full impulse and might hit God knows what.

Not really. I'll be back on this later. I have to go to bed now.

Again, all things can be overpowered. The Jem'Hadar made a ramming attack upon the Odessy in the Jem'Hadar. In BOBW, it takes 27 minutes to reach Earth from Jupiter. At best, Jupiter is only 365 million miles away from Earth. Assuming this distance, and rounding the miles to 30 minutes for simplicity, that would mean that full impulse is about 730 million miles per hour.

Thus, the Odessey took a hit right to the deflector dish from a ship moving at 730 million miles per hour.

True, but in ST, they have shaped charges. The energy would be focused inwards...towards the target.

I point to the quote above. Thus far, Imperial ships can blow apart asteroids.

In that paticular Hoth Asteriod scene, we see that they vaporize a asteroid. Going with what this site claimed: http://www.stardestroyer.net/tlc/Power/index.html

The asteroid is 20 meters.

Putting this into Wong's own asteroid calculator, we discover that the asteriod would be vaporised by a 59.9 kiloton bomb. Here's the link.

http://www.stardestroyer.net/Empire/Science/Asteroids.html

Yes. In Rise, we see the Voyager attempting to destroy a 222 meter asteroid. The asteroid was shattered with one torpedoe, but Harry Kim said that something was wrong, and the asteriod should have been vaporized. Now, put this into the calculator, and we will see that get 81.9 megatons, which is pretty close to Darkstar's 100 megaton calculation.

These calculations have been provided by Trekspert:http://www.trekspert.net/Tech/Photon_Torpedos/Rise.html

That means, the Enterprise D, with at least 275 photon torpedoes, has a total armament of about 22,522.5 megaton armament, not including its phasers. A single volley from the Enterprise D is at least 409 megatons, just from the forwards torpedoe launcher.

The destruction of the asteriod is the highest output on film, but Darkstar estimates at least 1.325 megatons to vaporize a small town (as stated in one of the books) by a SW weapon. Thus, Assuming that the Heavies are the megatons, and the mediums are the kilotons...lets see here:

Dual heavy turbolaser turrets (6) (15.9 megatons)
    Quad heavy turbolasers (2) (10.6 megatons)
    Dual heavy turbolaser turrets (6) (15.9 megatons)
    Quad heavy turbolasers (2) (10.6 megatons)
    Triple medium turbolasers (3) (539.1 kilotons)
    Medium turbolasers (2) (119.8 kilotons)
    Taim & Bak XX-9 heavy turbolasers (60) (79.5 megatons)

That's a total of 106 megatons, and 658.9 kilotons in one volley. Round that up to a total of 107 megatons, and it still comes short 302 megatons. Of course, these weapons are all placed around the ISD, and thus the weapons would not all hit the enemy ship, where as the Enterprise D has a much larger chance of hitting the ISD with its five photons, and even if it didn't, one hit is only 25.1 megatons lower than the ISD's entire volley.:bugeye:

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

how about siding wuth the enemy that uses rocks and sticks?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

but seriously, trying to classify TLs, phasers and disruptors in megatons is a biy silly. we just don't see such effects on screen. the only things that act as if they actualy blast things up (dead objects not secondary ship explosions) are torpedoes and seismic charges.

as for the Borg tactics, it's utter folly to judge their tactics and combat ability by the Q-Who incident. they did not want the E-D destroyed. they wanted it asimilated, since they belived it worthy of incorporating it's technolgy into their own. as for cripling the Borg by destroying their planets,well it may have some efect. however from what we see on show, the borg are highly nomadic. this both a curse and a blessing. they can't be destroyed by a single sneak attack (the way Federation can) but they are allso less likely to focus their forces on single targets (allthough they are known to do so in some instances like Arturis' species or species 8472). the one thing that makes me reluctant to invision a war betwean the Borg and the Empire is the Borg's strife for perfection. they only seam interested in asimilating something they find beneficial to their colective. seing how the have FTL ability to travel across the galaxy within ours or days, weapons that effect entire star systems, productional capacity beyond mesure, diresc machine-man interface the only thing i imagine they'd like from the Empire would be..... dunno.... maybe Hyperdrive. but that would involve the asimilation of only one Lambda shuttle, not more. Borg would probably consider the Empire similar to the Kason, not fit for asimilation. now if the Empire desides to attack the Borg i'm shure they would use force to figt them, but i don't think they'll try to board them or capture them.

9. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

two more things:
    1. the E-D warp core is stated to produce 12.75 billion gigawatts. that's 12.75 million TW. this is stared during no alert status, no warp spee, no special operations, just orbiting around the planet. still if i recall the episode Data sais 12.75 billion gigawatts per second????!!!! wats are mesured per second. jules per second to be exact. so what could w/s (j/s^2) mean. in phisics when something os mesured by 1/s^2 it refers tho acceleration (positive or negative), or of you rather like change for 1s. this can be onterpreted that wile E-D was in orbit (doing nothing demanding) they increased or decreased their power output at the rate of 12.75 billion gigawatts per second! if they are capable of such controled power flactuations during peace times, i'd like to know their full capabilities during red alert or high warp.
    2. if SW hyperdrive is endeed FTL (and possibly related to the tachions) i don't see why it can't be detected. after all SW ships do experience mass shadowing in real space. this MS is de facto FTL object and is detecable by tachion scaners (tachions are FTL particles, t.i. particles that exist only as a part of a dimension that is asiptotaicaly paralel to our own in regards to light speed).

10. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

i have a question for all of you that actualy wach movies with your finger on the pause/rewind botton. i'm trying to determine the E-E quantum torpedo launcher rates of fire. i'v ovseved all the instances in wich these torpedoes were used.
    1. in FC E-E fires 3 quantum torpedoes salvo at the "weak-point"
    2. in FC E-E fires 4 quantum torpedo salvo at the borg sphere
    3. in FC E-E fires 3 qt salvo at the "Phoenix"
    4. in "Nemeis" E-E fire 3 qt salvo athe the "Scimitar", after a 3.2s delay it fires another 3 qt. the Picard orders fire at will, and anothe 3 qt issue forth. there is 6.2s time diference betwean this and the last salvo.

so how will you explain the allmost constant use of 3 torps salvo and the exception of 4 torps salvo? i think that maybe the quantum tube has a very narrow firying arc, so when both targets are in motion they can only bare the tube long enough to fire 3 torps in rapid succesion. the sphere is relatively motionless (it's in what apears a sinchronised orbit) so they are able to fire the full compliment of 4 preloaded torpedoes.
    my brother thinks that the tube might be able to preload 3 torpedoes relatively quick, but to preload 4 might require more time, so in battle when fighting active oposition it is far more usefull to fire 3 torps every 3 second then 4 toprs per let's say every 10 or 15.

what is your opinion?

11. USS Athens Very Special Senior Member Valued Senior Member

To quote Lucas after he was asked if there was story after Episode VI.

12. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

to Saquist (if you are still out there):
    yesterday i finaly recalibrate the main dorsal aray on the galaxy to act as it did in "Q-Who" and "Survivors". i added 4 more arrays but lowered their total charge and recharge times. now i need to calibrate the photon torpedo tubes. can anyone remember how many torps has the E-D (the max number) fired continously when in single fire mode?

13. SkywalkerJedi アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) Registered Senior Member

EU is canon. it is approved by George Lucas

14. SkywalkerJedi アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) Registered Senior Member

remember you are using Star Trek walls and Shields aginst Star Trek Weapons. Star Wars have better wall, and shields so it seem weaker in Star Wars. take a look at the damage on the astroids

15. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

it may be approved, but is it conected, or should i paraphrise, is it direct continuation of the movies?

to me it makes no diference, since we don't have any on-screen evidence of their capabilities, so it leaves me nothing to work with.

16. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

endeed take a look at the asteroids. SW shoots at 20-50m asteroids. ST does the same to 200+m asteroids.
    that's over 60 times the volume.

17. SkywalkerJedi アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) Registered Senior Member

you guys are forgetting that thet Death Star, Death Squadron, or Open circle fleet can destory Earth and Vulcan and that will be a instant victory, or they just wipe out that Starfleet so the Federation is powerless( too bad they dont have ground troops or they can defend themselves ) so the federation will act on the Republic or the Empire's demands. don't forget the Federation is only an Alliance not a country like the Republic or the Empire!

18. SkywalkerJedi アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) Registered Senior Member

So, did you watch attack of the clones? jango's sismic charges destoryed 5 huge astroides, distintergrated another and blow up 10 more smaller ones! trhats only ONE shot

19. SkywalkerJedi アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) Registered Senior Member

yah, the astroids they blew up are HOLLOW

20. SkywalkerJedi アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) Registered Senior Member

no the galaxy IS fully explored and the Empire did seize 75% of it( not to metion that the empire also controlled the Satllilite galaxy:rashi maze!

21. SkywalkerJedi アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) Registered Senior Member

Empire's or Republic's jammers and jam the computers or they can simply blast the computers. The force can guide the Jedi or Sith perficly if they know how to master it!
    Vader cant slam ships because of his suit, and Palatine is not strong enough remember" You can't defeat me! Darth Vader will be more powerful then either of us!"-Palpatine in revenge of the sith
    Check the Open Circle fleet onhttp://www.starwars.com you will find that open circle have 300 ships in total and Open Circle is only a fleet in the republic navy. the whole republic have 200,000 ships in total, CIS is Star Wars too, they have 400,000 ships, and the Empire have 100,000,000 ships
    Check the starwars database it says that he used Force-Absorbe
    Sidious didn't use force storm because he want the enemy to slowly lose, and not escape so that he can turn luke to the dark side

Last edited: Mar 22, 2008
  22. SkywalkerJedi アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) Registered Senior Member

Turbolasers are more powerful than that! they are more than two times the power you listed!

23. SkywalkerJedi アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) Registered Senior Member

Star Wars peole are smarter. Star Trek people have weird names for stuff dosen't mean that they are smarter.

Anakin SKywalker at the age of 9 built a very fast podracer and a prodical droid that can speak more than 6 million froms of communication, with VERY LIMITED resourses in watto's junk store, "I can fix anything!" " i belive you can." Anakin talking to Qui-Gon. Can Star Trek 9 year olds do that? No. Anakin costumized his own fighter Azure Angle and Azure Angel II beyond the reconization of the oringial ship ON HIS OWN at the age of 19 in the time of war in a war zone.

Can star Trek people do that? NO!
    Anakin Skywalker destoryed a battleship and won a war SINGLE-HANDED at the age of 9. Can Star Trek people do that? no!:shrug:. Weird names dosen't mean they are smarter, but the products can. Anakin Skywalker can build his own Starfighter from strach if he have the right equitment, and contitions thats NOT in a warzone!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.