Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. USS Athens Very Special Senior Member Valued Senior Member

Okay, really?!? This argument has come to an end!?!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Borsviek ****** Registered Senior Member

Seven of nine is definitely hotter than Portman, respectfully.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Frodonsam Registered Member

Starwars doesn't have the technology like Star trek... I must say though it would be very interesting....

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Borsviek ****** Registered Senior Member

Not quite, let's not jump to conclusions.

8. Borsviek ****** Registered Senior Member

I think a lot of people don't like ST simply because they have never seen it. SW is a LOT more publicised than ST.

9. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

That and SW is Science Fantasy, ST is Science Fiction

SciFi can become Reality
    SciFantasy cannot (at least, not as easily)

10. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

St is much to streched out to keep intresting. There are far to many contradictions.
    I hope the SW series won't have the same effect.

11. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

I think is you don't count ftl drives. that SW is closer to reality than ST.
    Jedi powers are nothing more than telekinise, telapathy, (sorry for my bad writing) pyrokinise and stuff.

12. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

1. Ripping a hole into hyperspace for FTL travel is no more close to reality than is generating a field where relativistic physics do not apply.

2. Since when is telekenesis, telepathy, pyrokinesis etc anywhere near reality? Or are you being fooled by Dionne Warwick or John Edward?

3. Shooting lighning bolts are not within the study of the paranormal in any event

13. FoolFromHell Photons be Free. Registered Senior Member

Maybe we should mothball this thread and wait for the SW TV series to start?
    Would make for a more interesting argument.

I might be back in a week or two just to check in. Wont be very active.

Nonetheless. FoolFromHell- Signing out.

14. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

While Telekinetic abilities are not impossible (look at the human mind and the scope at which we do NOT use it... think of what could happen if we could harness it's entire power) there is a problem:

If you attempt to live a 200 pound object with your mind, you now have 200 pounds pressing down on your brain... OUCH.

15. USS Athens Very Special Senior Member Valued Senior Member

Yeah, a bunch of assholes at my high school jump to the conclusion that SW is better, doesn't even give ST a chance...

16. USS Athens Very Special Senior Member Valued Senior Member

Yes, but once again physics is based off of theoretical ideas (gravitons, warp bubble, etc.).

17. Borsviek ****** Registered Senior Member

I have never once seen any physics references in SW.

18. Borsviek ****** Registered Senior Member

Miiiiisssa jar jar binks

19. Dunn11x Jesus Christ is The Messiah! Registered Senior Member

Star Wars

20. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

In the animal kingdom there's proof of telapathie why should it be differrent with humans. Ok you can delete Jedi power as Q's power.

Even the SW is more realistic than ST. Battlestar galactica (allthough i saw only season 1 for the moment) is in my opinion the closest to reality.

Tell me something that can't be achieved in SW. (Without ftl and jedi/sith power)

21. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

... Are you thick?

There is no proof of Telepathy in the animal kingdom... give me one example.

Birds navigation? ElectroMagnetic fields of the Earth
    Creatures knowing how to do things? Natural instinct.
    Lemmings? Confused, stupid little creatures.

Honestly, the only example of Telepathy has been from Humans... and they are weak.

ST is far more realistic than SW... most of it's technology has a real basis in current technology.

Something that can't be achieved in SW?

Easy...

Their form of shielding is IMPOSSIBLE. You MUST have an Amplitude, Frequency, and Variance in order to have an EM field of any time... DC current would not be capable of forming such a field with a neutral charge.

Their form of making a "superlaser" is impossible - laser beams would not intersect and change direction... not without a focusing crystal which, upon close inspection of the DS2 scenese, is auspiciously absent.

Their methods of anti-gravity are hopelessly romantic at best...

22. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

Simple, we're not animals. Whatever animal you've got with "evidence of telepathy" humans aren't them!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

But I didn't want to "delete" the Jedi's power. Just saying that it really isn't that close to reality. It's still fun!

Actually, Babylon 5 is the closest to reality in my opinion. Humans still behave the way we do now (basically), FTL largely isn't carried by the ship (except for massive capitals), all isn't fine and dandy with the galaxy, aliens and humans do not have lightning bolts shooting from their fingers etc etc.

An officer with a halfway decent aim!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

23. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Zing... definate ZING!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.