Wikipedia protest shutdown

Discussion in 'World Events' started by arfa brane, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Gustav Banned Banned

all notions of personal responsibility has been eschewed in favor of a perverted sense of entitlement that involves exploiting children

judge gustav: mr dotbiz, you copied the x movie on to a blank dvd?
    mr dotbiz: yes, goddamn it, i did. it is my god given right
    judge gustav: why?
    mr dotbiz: my kid destroyed it
    judge gustav: how did you copy the movie?
    mr dotbiz: i bypassed the encryption with illegal software
    judge gustav: baliff, remand this communist into custody

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

Actually there is nothing in the Fair Use doctrine that limits the reason for making a back up copy based on negligence, so yeah, advanced protection against the unfortunate occurrence of you're kid putting a peanut butter sandwich in the DVD tray and ruining both the DVD player and the DVD that was in it is still a valid reason to make an archive copy of a DVD you own.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Gustav Banned Banned

Fair use

Although certain types of infringement scenarios are allowed as fair use and thus are effectively considered non-infringing, "personal use" copying is not explicitly mentioned as a type of fair use, and case law has not yet established otherwise.

Circumvention of DVD copy protection

In the case where media contents are protected using some effective copy protection scheme, the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) of 1998 makes it illegal to manufacture or distribute circumvention tools and use those tools for infringing purposes. In the 2009 case RealNetworks v. DVD CCA,[6] the final injunction reads, "while it may well be fair use for an individual consumer to store a backup copy of a personally owned DVD on that individual's computer, a federal law has nonetheless made it illegal to manufacture or traffic in a device or tool that permits a consumer to make such copies." This case made clear that manufacturing and distribution of circumvention tools was illegal, but use of those tools for non-infringing purposes, including fair use purposes, was not.

The Librarian of Congress periodically issues rulings to exempt certain classes of works from the DMCA's prohibition on the circumvention of copy protection for non-infringing purposes. One such ruling in 2010 declared, among other things, that the Content Scramble System (CSS) commonly employed on commercial DVDs could be circumvented to enable non-infringing uses of the DVD's content.The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) hailed the ruling as enabling DVD excerpts to be used for the well-established fair-use activities of criticism and commentary, and for the creation of derivative works by video remix artists. However, the text of the ruling says the exemption can only be exercised by professional educators and their students, not the general public.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

judge gustav: mr dotbiz, you copied the x movie on to a blank dvd?
    mr dotbiz: yes, i did. For personal use as a backup
    judge gustav: why?
    mr dotbiz: In case my kid destroyed it like he did some others I paid for.
    judge gustav: how did you copy the movie?
    mr dotbiz: I purchased a DVD copy program.
    http://www.copyprotecteddvd.net/
    judge gustav: Fair enough, since in the cases where a court has ruled on consumer's right to copy digital media, they have never eliminated the right to make a digital copy for personal use or backup, and in two cases they've explicitly endorsed that right. You are free to go.

8. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

Gustav, what part of: it may well be fair use for an individual consumer to store a backup copy of a personally owned DVD on that individual's computer. did you not understand?

LOL

9. Gustav Banned Banned

in the year 2200, replicator tech is fully developed. and the home furnishing industry is in shambles

mr dotbiz vs furniture ltd established the legal basis for replicating sofas under the doctrine of fair use. it had been affirmed that children frequent thrash furniture and parents are entitled to replace them by replication rather than purchasing a new set

10. leopold Valued Senior Member

i DO have kids, well men now.

11. Gustav Banned Banned

what part of "may" do you not understand?

12. leopold Valued Senior Member

2 things.
    first "it may well be" is kind of vague when it comes to law.
    either it is or it isn't.
    if you want to include "the gray area" then you are talking justice, not law.

second you do not own the movie that is still under copyright.

13. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

Getting back to adoucette's assertion that most musicians sign contracts (well, the one's that sell "reasonable quantities" do

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

):

I made no effort to prove my contention that most musicians do NOT in fact sign contracts (as contracts are principally the purview of major labels, and very few independents operate with such) for obvious reasons: it's kinda hard to prove a negative. That is to say, there aren't a whole lot of stats for people who don't sign contracts.

Anyhow, here's why--in the words of Steve Albini:

(From The Problem with Music. Bolding mine.)

Of course, Albini doesn't provide citations, so I'm certain that adoucette will dispute all of this. Because, of course, he knows far more about the matter than some derd niffer--he's a "google scholar."

14. Gustav Banned Banned

wtf?
    i was under duress when i said that. i was being blackmailed by the mpaa mafia.
    they had....pictures

-----
    adoucette the pinko liberal
    dont you just love it!

15. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

Considering adoucette's "expertise," I'd venture that he's actually been working with Albini for the past couple a decades...

16. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

Used like that, in "may well", I understand it's meaning perfectly.

Since you think its illegal to copy DVDs for backup then simply show us a court case where an individual was found guilty of breaking this law.

17. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

Looking at what you posted you made it clear why you need a contract.

Indeed, Albini is a producer and you know he isn't going to work without a contract.

The POINT of his article is be wary of the big labels, they will screw you.
    Go to an independent LIKE HIM.

But, regardless of who you go to, the POINT of a contract is to protect everyone's interest, and in the example you mentioned, the production of a record that is going to sell 250,000 copies, over $3,000,000 is involved and that is NOT done with a hand-shake.

Ok, cut that by 1/5th, with say 50,000 records, that's still probably a quarter million being spent, again, NOT done with a hand shake.

Don't believe me?

Tell me anything you buy for that much with out a contract.

18. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

Sometimes he does, sometimes he doesn't--I know a fair number of people who have recorded with him. Likewise, he adjusts his rates based upon how much he likes the artist and how much money they have access to.

Really? How exactly do you know this, Arthur? I'm familiar with plenty of labels that replicate between one thousand and 20 thousand units--and none of them use written contracts.

19. Gustav Banned Banned

disingenuous red herring
    you simply cannot parse the fact that "fair use" is useless when invoked in this particular instance against dmca

“The court appreciates Real’s argument that a consumer has a right to make a backup copy of a DVD for their own personal use,” she wrote. “While it may well be fair use for an individual consumer to store a backup copy of a personally-owned DVD on that individual’s computer, a federal law has nonetheless made it illegal to manufacture or traffic in a device or tool that permits a consumer to make such copies.” In other words, as the law stands, no tool can legally perform what is likely a legal act. (judge patel)

nothing has been resolved yet you pretend it has so you can justify piracy

20. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

Except the courts have ruled many times on this, even on digital copies and even on copies of software, and in every case they found that making digital copies for personal backup was allowed.

21. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

Nope, she wasn't ruling on that issue.

22. Gustav Banned Banned

start citing and lets take a look

another red herring

23. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member