Why are doctors so expensive?

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by Roman, Oct 28, 2008.

1. John99 Banned Banned

Joe...Joe, the misspelling were the whole purpose of the post.

If someone were to ask: Why is health care so expensive?

I would have to answer with: You really dont know?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

I think it is obvious you do not know the answer to the OP. You have posted nothing of substance...just offered unsubstanciated opinions and thrown around words the meaning of which you clearly do not understand. But yet you want readers to believe you...koolaid drinking at its finest. I got news for you, if you want to convey a coherent message to readers, you need to construct logical texts and use words appropriately.

This is not a Republican political rally where lies are accepted as truth; where facts are not wanted nor required. If you disagree, why? Where are your facts?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2008
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

roman, why bother to answer this when you have already made an assumption from line 1?

basically my responce would be "suck it up, sucker"

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. John99 Banned Banned

Joe, for the last time - I am not a Republican. I am however realistic and i cannot just go with the flow of the mob.

I really think it is obvious why health care is expensive. As a matter of fact i can narrow it down to two or three succinct reasons.

8. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Maybe this gets to your inabilty to use and understand words; but show me where I said you were a Republican. And again, where are your facts?

9. John99 Banned Banned

You implied it a few times. Forgive me for plying but you have had surgery in the recent past have you not?

10. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

No I have never had surgery.

11. John99 Banned Banned

And you are in your 60's?

12. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

No I am not, nor am I in my 70's, 80's or 90's.

13. Nasor Valued Senior Member

Seriously guys, no one cares. Bicker with each other via private messages if you really want to.

14. John99 Banned Banned

Who is bickering?

15. Nasor Valued Senior Member

Agreed. The AMA has spent a long time convincing everyone that doctors need to have 10+ years of expensive advanced education and that no one who doesn't jump through all the AMA-designed hoops shouldn't be allowed to practice medicine. Because, after all, we're talking about doctors here - if they make a mistake, you could die! What if your poorly-trained doctor doesn't realize that you actually have Ebola instead of just a headache? You could die!!!!!.

Well, sure. But I could also die if my breaks give out, and it's considered perfectly acceptable for me to let my cousin's friend Franky fix my breaks in exchange for a 12-pack of beer, even though he doesn't have any formal training. Yeah, I'm taking a risk, but I'm also getting the repairs done for about 1/10th the cost of taking the car to the mechanic's shop. And along those same lines, if Franky wants to open his own mechanic's shop and fix breaks for everyone, there's nothing to stop him. But only because we don't have an auto-mechanic's union that has convinced everyone that only people with PhDs in mechanical engineering should be able to work on your car. After all, if your car isn't diagnosed and repaired properly you could die!!!.

16. CarpetDiem Burnin' hours, season days Registered Senior Member

....and your source for this is where? Might sound plausible somewhere, but not my experience.

17. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Good points Nasor. And today medicine in The United States has taken the medical doctor out of the actual practice of medicine and more into the business of collecting pay checks. I say that because there is so much reliance on the "test" and other professionals and semi-professionals to inform the physician. They have tests for just about everything, and the physicians I have seen and known are really pained to make any kind of decision before they have done tests. It seems they have outsourced too much decision making to the "test". Test are good and have their place. But there should also be room for common sense and good judgement.

Tests are well and good; and reliance on others for opinions has its place; but if your physician fails to recognize the symptions and fails to order the correct tests, as was the case with my cited experience, you could be dead. For all the years of training, this training and trauma center, failed to recognize a few basic symptoms and instead pursued some real way out series of causes for my affliction that even I a layman could knew were bizzare and simply untrue and did not fit the symptons...granted I have had some medical trainning as a hospital corpsman in the Navy.

18. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

I love this post.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Pretty sure Nasor and joe have the right answer here.

19. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

Source? Wtf?
    "Asians are bad drivers? Where's your source for that?", how about you just come out from under your rock?

20. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

Roman,

I teach at a medical school. I can safely say that this is all one HUGE money making scam. HUGE. Big Money.

people enter the profession to make money. That's it. And when your arse is on the line - you will pay and pay big.

So, why is is $$ and getting even more so. Because the market is manipulated. There should be MANY MANY MANY more medical schools pumping out MANY MANY more doctors. All doctors should be rated online so that everyone can see if they are a hack or not.

Hospitals should probably be furnished by the State with the medical equipment they require to do the job.

Anyway, my 2cents

21. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Michael,

did you hear the plan that if the medical colleges (not the uni's i might add which are all federally funded anyway) didnt start training the numbers of doctors the states asked for then the federal goverment was going to take away there right to train doctors period and give it to the uni's

So rather than just a medical degree being done at flinders or monash (or melbourne,ect), the whole of a doctors post grad training would also be done there

22. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

The doctor has his mistress to also take care of!

23. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

I really only know the Uni's, but, I can say it's all a big money making business. All of Uni is now a days. Students are consumers and overseas pay more so sell to them.