Wikipedia protest shutdown

Discussion in 'World Events' started by arfa brane, Jan 17, 2012.

1. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

And if you acknowledge this, why are you insistent upon saying that you "support the artists" by supporting SOPA? Read your own freakin' lists: the parties who support SOPA are largely the major labels, the RIAA, etc.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Gustav Banned Banned

more red herrings
    we deal with movie dvds and you shill karoake?
    why do you waste my fucking time?

However, of the media for which there are exceptions allowing personal use copies, Karaoke CDGs are closest in format and in form to pure digital music. The Audio Home Recording Act of 1992, (" AHRA ") represented a compromise among the competing commercial interests involved in the music industry, in which consumers received a specific exemption from infringement for copying digital music for personal use:

This legislation clearly endorses and allows the copying of digital musical recordings (i.e., CDs and Digital Audio Tapes) for personal use. The single court that has discussed the AHRA in any detail has reaffirmed that non-commercial copying of a digital musical recording, to whatever format, is expressly allowed by the AHRA, and that is in fact one of the main purposes of the AHRA.

wtf?
    focus!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

As to the importance of contracts: I would agree, when dealing with considerable volume. Most musicians are not selling 50 thousand or 100 thousand units per release, and neither do they especially care--unless they're in it for the money or the fame.

Moreover, artists who sell only a few thousand, or even just a few hundred, per title oftentimes make more money than major label artists. And their audiences tend to be more loyal, less inclined towards pirating their work, etc.

I never said that contracts were pointless.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

Nope, it's a digital copy of a work. The law doesn't change because of what the content that is being copied represents.

8. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

So?

Am I supposed to think that Major labels are suddenly bad?

But regardless, so does http://a2im.org/ which is supporting the independent artists.

9. Gustav Banned Banned

yes it does
    the dvd was born with encryption
    it is an entirely different beast

you refuse to understand this because you are hellbent on justifying your criminal acts, right?

mr dotbiz's memoirs were published today... "how my children led me into a life of crime"

10. leopold Valued Senior Member

define "backup copy" and "copy"
    define those 2 terms for me.

11. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

Do you simply take everything at face value? If an organization says that they "support" independent musicians, why then, certainly they must--right?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

A2IM isn't terribly popular amongst many, and perusing their list of "labels" I noticed Allegro Media Group--they're not a freakin' label, they're a distributor. And I only know this because one of my labels had a deal with them a number of years back, and they really fucked us over.

I don't have anything against distributors, in general, but the fact is: the further removed from the creators of the "product" something is, the greater for the potential to be fucked over. My experiences with labels have always been good. My experiences with distros have been good and bad. Consequently, I'm disinclined to take any such entity at it's word when it says it "supports" something--you always have to look into these matters.

12. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

So show actual evidence that they don't support independent musicians, since that's what they seem to be all about.

Absolutely.
    And I'm not just taking their word for it.

13. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

Nothing really, except what you do with it.

If you make a copy and sell or give that copy away, then it isn't a back up copy for personal use and you are infringing.

You can use the back up copy as your primary source, and not use the original though (which is what I do for the copies I make of my Audio CDs as the conditions in a car are not conducive to long life of CDs)

Court rulings on Fair use also allow you to put a copy on multiple devices, so you can legally copy your digital data to your I-pod as well as your computer.

14. Gustav Banned Banned

more disingenuous conflation by adoucette

15. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

What's a matter Gustav, can't find a single case where someone was found guilty of making a back up copy of a DVD?

16. Gustav Banned Banned

maintaining a red herring

5 over the speed limit is typically neither ticketed nor persecuted. it is the defacto speed limit but not the legal one

you can be persecuted but are not
    convention is not the law

furthermore what is the premise here?
    if x law has never been used in a court case, it is null and void?
    it does not exist?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  17. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

Really?

If no one is ever prosecuted for something it's real hard to argue that that action is against the law.

You might consider that when they set the speed limits on roads they are aware of the leeway that the police give.

Like when they wrote the DMCA they were aware of the leeway given for personal backups by US Copyright law.

18. Gustav Banned Banned

for the 1000th time... not if it involves circumventing copyright protection schemes by the general public. it is why you can safely backup an audio cd but not a movie dvd

you lack analytical skills and sorely deficient in both nuance and sophistication

19. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

Funny, I safely do both.

What's a matter Gustav, STILL can't find a single case where someone was found guilty of making a back up copy of a DVD?

LOL

20. Hellenologophobia Registered Senior Member

21. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

No, DVDs aren't different.
    The laws don't specify content.

We've been over the Patel ruling:

The court appreciates Real’s argument that a consumer has a right to make a backup copy of a DVD for their own personal use… While it may well be fair use for an individual consumer to store a backup copy of a personally-owned DVD on that individual’s computer, a federal law has nonetheless made it illegal to manufacture or traffic in a device or tool that permits a consumer to make such copies.

So while Patel ruled against RealNetworks, it didn't say that making a back up copy wasn't fair use.

Same question to you: Can you find a single case where someone was found guilty of making a back up copy of a DVD?

And yes, I make copies for back up purposes because I have had originals become unplayable (or in other cases, playable but with bad sections) I also am a major time shifter in that I use a DVR to record material from both network and pay channels and then I burn them on to DVD-Rs so that I can watch them at my leisure (the DVR has limited storage). I have 3 tuners and a priority recording device (puts network shows over shows that run the same episode multiple times) so I typically record many new shows that I may never actually watch.

22. Gustav Banned Banned

would you like to volunteer?
    go to the mpaa with a copy of one of their movies and the software used to hack into the copy protection.

they will take you to court

nor did it say it was

23. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

Not likely.

The DMCA was passed 12 years ago.
    If the MPAA was going to sue someone or a DA was going to charge someone with this they would have done it by now.

Face it Gustav, you simply haven't been able to find a DA anywhere in the country, for over a decade since the law was passed, who reads the DMCA the way you do. Most apparently understand the concept of Fair Use and that personal backups fall within that concept.

So the net is you are just arguing that the letter of the law says that making a copy for a personal backup is illegal even though you can't find anyone in a legal capacity to enforce the law who adheres to that overly-broad interpretation.