On Einstein's explanation of the invariance of c

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience Archive' started by RJBeery, Dec 8, 2010.

1. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Motor Daddy:

I'm not sure how you propose to define a "duration of time" other than as the time interval between two readings on a clock. If clocks tick at different rates in different reference frames, then they will record different durations between events. And that is what is, in fact, observed experimentally.

You are correct that light travels a specific distance in a given time, but that's not "absolute". The statement is true in any given reference frame provided the distance and the time are both measured in the same frame. That is the most that can be said. It is, however, a very significant statement; it's one of only TWO fundamental postulates of special relativity. It's postulation is justified retrospectively by experiment, of course. Experiment is always the final arbiter. You can imagine all kinds of things, but if your imaginings don't match what is actually observed then you need to go back to the drawing board.

Not at all. One of those lights might have started earlier than the other one, for example.

The speed of light is the same in all reference frames. Light is a special case in that regard, since the same cannot be said of anything that travels slower than light in any reference frame.

You can't measure distance using light without also using a clock. Or, equivalently, you can't measure a time interval using light without also using a ruler of some kind. In other words, you can use the constancy of the speed of light either as a ruler, in which case you need a clock, or you can use the light as a clock, in which case you need a ruler. You can't use light to measure both time and distance simultaneously.

That's a function of recent history (past 50 years or so). Initially, the speed of light was measured. Those measurements got more and more accurate over time, until finally the accuracy of the speed of light measurement was more accurate than the then-current definition of the metre. So, the definition of the metre was changed to depend on the speed of light, rather than the reverse. Note, however, that a clock is still required to determine how long a metre is using light. In other words, we need a prior definition of the second to define the metre.

Yup. So you need to know how long a second is first, independently of the speed of light. Agree?

Yes.

Perhaps you'll find this surprising, but the answer to this question is, counter-intuitively, "No."

You haven't defined "closing speed" at all here. It could have two possible meanings (at least). For example, it could mean the speed of the light that somebody moving with the meter stick measures, in which case the closing speed is always exactly 299792458 m/s. Alternatively, perhaps you mean the difference between the speed of light and the speed of the stick, as measured by you from some other reference frame (such as on the ground) - in which case the closing speed can never be greater than 2 times 2997924588 m/s.

By the way, do you believe in the speed of light as an absolute speed limit? If you do, why do you believe that? (This is a very relevant question, though that probably isn't obvious to you.) If not, can you give an example of an object that travels faster than the speed of light?

Here's one scenario in which the closing speed could be 2 m/s:

Your stick is clocked at a speed of 299792456 m/s travelling relative to the ground, say. The same observer on the ground sees the light catching up to the stick (travelling in the same direction) at 299792458 m/s.

How long does it take the light to go from one end of the stick to the other in that case?

The answer depends on what you mean by "metre stick", which you did not specify. Is it a stick that is 1 metre long when it is measured at rest? Or is it a stick that is 1 metre long when you measure it flying past you as you stand on the ground? In the former case, the light will pass it in a very short time indeed, because the length of your "metre" stick will have contracted to close to zero length (I can give you the exact length if you like) in the ground frame. In the second case, the light will take half a second to go from one end to the other. However, in that case your "metre" stick has a much much longer rest length than 1 metre.

Yes, provided the distance and time are both measured in the same reference frame (which is the only sensible thing to do). But when you measure, say, the distance between two objects in different reference frames you will get different answers. If you choose to do that using light, then your light will still travel the same distance in the same time, but both the distance and time taken for the light to go from one object to the other will change, keeping the speed of light the same.

If you want to discuss relativity, it's useful to use the language that physicists use. Here are a couple of definitions for you:

"Event" = a particular point in space and time. An event can be specified using four coordinates, all measured in the same reference frame. For example, (x,y,z,t), where x,y,z are the spatial position of the event and t is the time at which it occurs.

"Simultaneous" - 2 events are simultaneous in a particular reference frame if and only if their time coordinates are the same.

As you can see, "Light traversing space" cannot be an "event", since it encompasses multiple points in space and time. And "simultaneous" in the context of "light traversing space" is not a term that uses the language of physics in the standard way.

Some examples of events in spacetime:

1. Light is emitted from a source at a particular place and time.
    2. Light hits a detector at a particular place and time.
    3. Light is half way between two detectors at a particular place and time.
    4. A train is at a certain point on a track at a particular place and time.

Examples of things that are NOT events in spacetime:

1. Light travels from point A to point B.
    2. A clock moves from point A to point B.
    3. A clock remains stationary for 10 minutes.
    4. A metre stick sits on the ground at the instant a clock reads 1:00 pm. (Can you see why this one isn't an event? This is important.)

The problem you have is that all objects, like a train or two clocks on opposite ends of a pole, have length. And that length changes in different reference frames. Therefore, even though the speed of light does not change in different frames (which is would if it didn't obey Einstein's relativity - agree?) the time it takes the light to traverse an object will change with the length of the object.

Actually, it strikes me as interesting that you seem to believe that light has the same speed in all reference frames. Do you believe that? If so, why do you believe that? It obviously is NOT true of balls, cars, planes, people, etc. So why light?

We're using your method here, not Einstein's. Remember I asked you to give me the method.

To find the distance between two clocks using light travel time, Einstein would use exactly the same method you want to use!

In other words, he'd start with two synchronised clocks, fire a light pulse from one to the other, measure the elapsed time and calculate the distance using x = ct.

The difference between you and Einstein is that Einstein says that the time interval you measure when you do this will depend on which reference frame you do it in. The speed of light doesn't change.

What I find strange is that you apparently agree with Einstein that the speed of light is the same in all reference frames, which is totally counterintuitive and at odds with every other experience of object speeds in your life, and yet at the same time you dispute the logical consequences of this observation that you say you believe in.

This is a straw man you keep putting up. It should be clear by now that I'm very happy to determine the distance between two clocks using exactly the method you say we should use. Where we differ is that you imagine that you can have a constant speed of light in all reference frames and somehow maintain an absolute space and time. That notion is not just experimentally inconsistent - it's logically inconsistent.

Woah! Ok, now.

Now it sounds like you're saying that the measured speed of light should vary between reference frames. Is that what you're saying?

Think about your car-passing-a-bus example. If you're inside the bus, you don't think the length of the bus is different from the length somebody on the roadside would measure, do you?

For simplicity, let's say the bus is 10 metres long, the bus is travelling at 10 metres per second along the road and the car is travelling at 11 metres per second along the road.

Now, somebody sitting on the bus says the bus is stationary relative to them as they sit in their seat. Right? That is, they are travelling at 10 metres per second along the road, and the bus is travelling at 10 metres per second along the road, so their relative speed is 10 - 10 = 0 metres per second - there is no relative motion between the bus and the person in it. Agree?

Now, a person on the roadside says the car takes 10 seconds to pass the bus (i.e. 10 seconds is the time from when the front of the car is level with the back of the bus to the time when the front of the car is level with the front of the bus). Do you agree? (How did you work it out?)

So, what is the speed of the car as measured by the guy in the bus? Well, that guy says the car must travel 10 metres (length of the bus) in 10 seconds, so according to the guy in the bus the car's speed must be 1 metre per second. Agree?

So, what have we discovered? The speed of the car is 11 metres per second according to a person on the roadside. But the car's speed is 1 metre per second according to the guy on the bus. Agree? The roadside and the bus are two difference reference frames.

Of course, you'll have no argument about this basic explanation of what a reference frame is, I'm sure. Right? You already know all this stuff.

Ok, so the speed of the car is reference-frame dependent. We agree on that, right?

Now, replace the car with a beam of light passing the bus. Suppose the roadside observer measures the speed of light as 299792458 m/s. Then the guy on the bus says the speed of light is 299792448 m/s (i.e. 10 m/s less). Do you agree?

Now, here's a potential point of conflict: Einstein says the guy on the bus measures the same speed for the light as the roadside observer, that is 299792458 m/s. There's no difference in speed according to Einstein.

Now, I'm not clear whose point of view you adopt on this question. So let me ask you:

1. Is the car's speed different depending on whether you measure it on the bus or on the roadside?
    2. Is the speed of light different depending on whether you measure it on the bus or on the roadside?

If you want to avoid Einstein's relativity, then your answers to both of these questions must be "Yes". So, just to clarify, what are your answers?

Note that Einstein's answer to question 1 is "Yes" and to 2 is "No". Galileo and Newton would answer "Yes" and "Yes".

What's Motor Daddy's answer?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

James R. Please answer the rest of my replies about your scenario about the railway car. Of particular note, show me how you conclude the velocity of the railway car and the distance between the clocks. Did you forget to answer these questions?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Motor Daddy:

Ok. If I answer those questions of yours, do you undertake to respond in full to all the questions I asked you in post #701?

Because, having spent some time on that post, I'd hate to think you were unwilling to engage in good faith.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

I'm not talking about when they started, I'm talking about the distance and time they each traveled as being simultaneous. If two lights meet in space, they each must have traveled a distance and time, simultaneously, correct?

Agree. We already defined a second.

The speed of light is not measured, it is defined. Why do you insist on measuring the speed of light?? Almost every experiment you propose, all you are doing is measuring the speed of light. Why do you repeatedly want to measure the speed of light? Are you trying to verify that your definitions are correct? The speed of light is what it is, by definition. Stop measuring the speed of light and start measuring the distance light travels from point a to point b of an object in motion. From THOSE light travel times you will be able to calculate the velocity of the box. You will NEVER be able to calculate the velocity of the box my measuring the speed of light. The speed of light is defined, not measured.

I do not agree there is a speed limit. I can prove this by sending an object from NY to Florida. I sync the clocks using my method, as they are in NY and Florida, in one time zone. I send an object from NY to Florida at 12:00:00. No matter how fast the object travels, it will not get there at or before 12:00:00. If the object traveled 10^5000000 miles per second, it would not get there at or before 12:00:00. I'm not trying to say I could ever get an object to travel faster than the speed of light, but by all means, if a need ever arrises to measure such a speed, my system can handle it with no problems, not one little hiccup!

1 meter is 1 meter. You are under Einstein's spell. You can not possibly know how long a stick is because you can't possibly know the velocity of the stick. Prove to yourself you can find the length of the stick without knowing the velocity. You can;t do it, I guarantee you you can;t do it. Just like you can;t tell me how much time it takes a car to pass a bus if you don;t know the speed of the bus. As in your example, and Einstein's train example in chapter IX, you fabricate a velocity, and he says the train has a velocity. Great, how did did you arrive at that conclusion?? You can;t start with a make believe velocity and work from there, but that is EXACTLY what hew does, and then he makes false assumptions from there on out! Be honest to yourself and ask yourself the question: How did I arrive at the 100 m/s velocity of the rail car? How did Einstein conclude the train had a velocity? You know why he didn't give a specific velocity in his example? Because the numbers would not add up using his methods. I can prove it to you. Tell me the train's velocity, any velocity, and I will show you with numbers there is absolute simultaneity in that example!

The length of an inertial object doesn't change. Again, you are under Einstein's spell. He can't tell you the length of the object because he doesn't know the object's velocity. He therefore goes through all kinds of fabricated time dilation, length contraction BS to arrive at some way of trying to make his method work. His first mistake is that he uses round trip time and divides by two. That is a fatal mistake that null and voids everything that follows.

Light travels independently of objects. The speed of light is always the speed of light. If you had a constant velocity car traveling down an infinite road, you could use the car's travel time to define distance. In all experiments, the car's velocity is unchanged. You can not change the speed of the car. No matter who you are, what velocity you are traveling, or how far away from the car you are, the car's velocity remains unchanged. You could be on a 20 foot long bus, and the car will appear to traverse the length of the bus in different amounts of time, depending on YOUR speed, but the car is always traveling the same rate of speed. Why do you insist on measuring the speed of the car in every experiment you do?? We know the car's velocity, and ewe know that velocity doesn't change, by definition.

Fatal mistake. How can he determine the distance between the clocks using the speed of light when he doesn't know the velocity of the clocks?? The clocks could be traveling a velocity, which changes the time it takes light to go from one clock to the other. He fails to understand that light travels independently of objects.

I agree with that, depending on the velocity of the clocks, the light travel time will change. The difference is, he changes the length of the object and ignores the velocity which is crazy! He doesn't know the velocity, so he can;t find the length, so he makes up a system of changing lengths and times so he can keep the speed of light the same.

No, it is inconsistent with Einstein's distorted view that time changes and length changes. That, again, is his make believe fantasy world he has constructed in order to preserve the speed of light. He has NO way of determining length as the velocity of the frame changes because he doesn't know the velocity of the frame.

No, that is NOT what I'm saying. The speed of light is always the speed of light.

Agree with all of that, as measured on the road. Light travels independently of the road, so those may or may not be the actual velocities of the objects, depending on the road's velocity in space.

The speed of light doesn't change just because you are riding a bus. If you ignore your own velocity, as the bus rider does and Einstein does, then you have a false idea of what the actual length and speed of light is. You MUST know your own velocity. Einstein doesn't know that, so he fabricates a world of illusion.

8. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Ok, Motor Daddy.

As a gesture of my good faith, I will answer your questions. I trust you will reciprocate by answering mine. Because not to do so would be intellectually dishonest of you, wouldn't it? And you're a man of integrity, I can tell.

Here's one way:

The "100 m/s" measurement is performed using apparatus located beside the track, of course - not on the train. So, I'm only able to measure 100 m/s "outside the box", as it were. Speaking technically, the 100 m/s figure is measured in the reference frame of the ground. The speed of the train in it's own rest frame is, of course, zero.

To measure the speed of the train in the ground reference frame, I line up hundreds of clocks along the railway line, spaced at, say, 1 metre intervals. To get the spacing correct, I manufacture lots of identical metre sticks, then lay them out end-to-end along the track. Then, at every metre mark I place a clock. I designate a particular clock to be called "x=0" distance. At the same instant that I set that clock to "t=0", I send a light pulse out from that clock along the train track. When the clock at x=1 metre receives the pulse, I set that clock to "t=1/299792458 seconds". When the clock at x=2 metres receives the pulse, I set that clock to "t= 2/299792458 seconds" etc. At the end of this process, all clocks are synchronised in the ground reference frame.

Now, as the train is travelling along the line, I send two light signals out from the clock at x=0, towards the train. The light signals are spaced consecutively, say at a 1 second interval (the exact interval is not important). When the first light pulse reaches the back of the train, I note the location of the back of the train by counting my metre sticks from x=0 to the back of the train, and also note the time recorded on the clock nearest the back of the train when the pulse hits.

When the second pulse hits the back of the train, I repeat the recording procedure.

Now I calculate the speed of the train relative to the track as follows: I take the two position readings and subtract the first one from the second, to get a displacement. I take the two time readings and subtract the first from the second to get a time interval. Then I divide the displacement by the time interval and that gives me the speed of the train relative to the ground.

Alternatively, once the clocks are synchronised, I can throw away the metre sticks and just use the timing information. If the time between the pulses being sent is z seconds, then the speed of the train is:

\(v = c\frac{t_2 - t_1 - z}{t_2 - t_1}\)

where \(t_1,t_2\) are the times recorded on the clocks for arrival of the light pulses at the back of the train.

[quite]Do you know the distance between clocks? How did you determine the distance between the clocks using only light travel times? Again, show your work.[/quote]

I have given a procedure for measuring the distances above.

Now, you might suggest that I could measure distances without the rulers as follows: Take my bunch of clocks. Synchronise them all in the one location. Then carry all the clocks out along the track and place them at any desired location. Designate one clock as x=0 and send a light pulse out from it at t=0. Then, when that pulse passes a clock somewhere along the line, record the position of that clock as 299792458 m/s times whatever time the clock reads.

The problem with this method is that it involves moving the clocks after they have been synchronised. And we can't simply assume that moving clocks will stay synchronised. That, after all, is something we want to test. We can't assume it in advance.

So, clearly the metre-sticks + clocks + light synchronisation procedure is superior to the light-signals + pre-synchronised clocks procedure.

To measure the speed of the ground relative to the train, I would set up my many metre sticks and clocks on the train, then send light signals along the train until they were level with a particular point on the ground.

Following this procedure, I would deduce that the speed of the ground relative to the train was equal in magnitude to the speed of the train relative to the ground. (can you see why?)

But it's not clear to me that you're asking for a relative speed here. It sounds a lot like you're asking what the absolute speed of the ground is. There is, of course, no such absolute speed to be measured. I have to set my clocks and rulers up somewhere, and they can only ever measure the speed of the ground relative to the platform they are on.

There's no way to measure an "absolute" speed of anything. If you think there is, then it is incumbent upon you to provide instructions.

Yes, that's what you think you've done. But all you've really done is provide a procedure similar to mine (though inferior, for the reasons I've given above) for measuring a relative speed - of the train relative to the ground, for example. Moreover, when you claimed to calculate the absolute speed of the train from on the train itself, you merely assumed, without any evidence at all, that the transit time of light between two clocks fixed to the train would be different in the two directions as measured on the train.

So, what your arguments reduce to are a bunch of unsupported assumptions, sloppy reasoning and inaccurate and/or ambiguous expression on your part. Hardly an encouraging effort in debunking relativity.

I seriously doubt you can know those distances using only light times and Einstein's methods. In fact, I know you can not measure those distance using light, as Einstein did not understand light travels independent of objects.

9. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

Yup, I am. I expect the same of you and all of science.

Right, the speed of the train is in reference to the tracks. That is outside the box. That makes all of your measurements based on an unknown track velocity. That makes all your measurements unknown. You have no idea what the length of the train is. You have no idea how far light traveled. You have no idea of the actual velocity of the train. Then you go on to use the light travel time, and arrive at all kinds of bad conclusions, of which are a total fabrication all stemming from the fact that you don't know the actual velocity of the train, as measured against light travel.

How do you know you are actually measuring a meter when you don;t know the velocity of the tracks? That makes all you measurements of a meter wrong unless the tracks have an absolute zero velocity. For if the tracks have a velocity greater than zero, your measurements are completely wrong. You can not assume a zero velocity and go on to try to prove a zero velocity doesn't exist. That is the definition of circular.

Again, all your measurements are based on a zero velocity track. Can you prove the track is at a zero velocity? How do you know the length of a meter using light when you don;t know the velocity of the tracks? Show me.

10. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Motor Daddy:

As you can see from my previous post, my measurements assume a fixed speed of light. There's no measuring of the speed of light involved. So saying that I "insist on measuring the speed of light" in "almost every experiment" is a straw man.

But you say you agree that the speed of light is the same in all reference frames. That is postulate #1 of Einstein's special relativity. So we have established that you agree with one of the two postulates.

The other postulate is that the laws of physics take the same form in all inertial frames. I assume you understand what that postulate means. If not, I can explain it to you.

Do you agree with the second postulate? If not, which laws of physics change between different reference frames, and how do they need to be changed?

If, on the other hand, you agree with both postulates, then we're done. You then have no option but to affirm length contraction, time dilation, relativity of simultaneity, a speed-of-light speed limit, \(E=mc^2\) and the rest. Because they all follow directly from the postulates. Unless you can prove a contradiction, that is.

Why, do you think, has no material object ever been observed to travel faster than the speed of light? Just coincidence? It's not important, but I'm interested in your thoughts on this.

Consider, for example, particle accelerators. Physicists keep building bigger and bigger accelerators, yet they never manage to accelerate those protons to faster than the speed of light. What's going wrong?

Yes, but an object that is one metre long in one reference frame is not 1 metre long in a different frame.

I could find the length of a stick using the exact method I gave for determining the speed of the train in my previous post. Part of that procedure involved measuring two distances that two light pulses travelled. If I can do that, I can measure the length of any stick, regardless of its velocity.

I can do as well as you can. All I need to do is work in the frame of the bus. Your problem is that you think you get the same answer as that in every frame. I know better.

It's not a conclusion. It's a premise used to illustrate a point. If you're talking about reference frames, you must introduce a relative velocity at some point in the discussion. That's what "relativity" is about, whether you prefer the Einstein kind or the Newtonian/Galilean kind.

Ok. Take the standard example where lightning is observed to strike two points on a moving train. Light from each strike travels along the train towards an observer on the train who stands exactly half way between the strike points. If the light from the strikes reaches the observer on the train simultaneously, and the train is travelling along the track at 3c/5, where c is the speed of light, did the lightning strikes hit the train simultaneously (a) from the train observer's point of view, and (b) from a ground-observer's point of view?

I assume your answers are "yes" and "yes", because you say simultaneity is absolute (i.e. events that are simultaneous in one frame are simultaneous in every frame).

Using the fact that the speed of light is the same in both frames, show me your mathematical proof of your answers in BOTH frames. be careful not to mix quantities from different frames.

Let's ignore Einstein for now. The method I have given in the previous post for determining the train's speed doesn't use a "round trip" for light. It's one-way. Let's discuss that.

But the situation you have described here does not have the car's speed as the same in all reference frames. If the car's apparent speed varies depending on whether you're on the road or on the bus, then the car's speed is different for the road and the bus. It is not the same in the two reference frames.

Einstein knows the constant speed of light c (same in all reference frames). Then, he only has to measure the time it takes light to travel in whichever reference frame he wants to use, and he can calculate the distance travelled in that frame. Or vice versa (if he measures the distance he can calculate the time taken). And having made a measurement in one frame, he can also calculate the corresponding results that would be measured in any other frame.

Right. So that would be like your strange car that always has the same speed, no matter whether you measure it from the bus or from the road - a car that would behave completely contrary to your everyday experience. And you agree with Einstein on this point.

From this statement, I'm still not clear on your answers to the two questions numbered "1" and "2". Please be explicit. Give "yes" or "no" answers to those two questions.

11. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

I'm doing just that, and yet you stick to Einstein's wrong methods and try to prove my theory is wrong. Start from scratch and prove to yourself using the very definitions of distance and time that Einstein can say what a meter is? I boot strapped my measurements from the very definitions of distance and time, as defined by light travel time. My measurements are not fabricated, they are measures of the distance light travels in a specific amount of time, which is the very definition of distance, the distance light travels in space, which may or may not be the same distance between clocks. Guess which distance is correct? You got it, the distance that light travels in space, as by definition, a meter is the distance light travels in space in x amount of time.

I measure distance relative to the speed of light, which is, by definition, correct. Einstein can not possibly measure distance using light, because he doesn't know the velocity of the frame. You can not measure length in a frame using light when you don't know the velocity of the frame, period!

No assumptions on my part, I tell you the velocity of the frame, I tell you the length of the frame, I tell you the distance light traveled, and the time light traveled in each direction, etc.. Einstein assumes a zero velocity, assumes that round trip light time divided by two is the same as the one-way travel times, assumes the distance between the clocks, etc.. His method is filled with errors based on all those assumptions!

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  12. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Motor Daddy:

No. There's no track velocity in any of my equations or calculations. I gave a method for calculating the speed of the train relative to the track. That's the best I can do. In fact, that's the best anybody can do, since there is no absolute speed.

If you think you can calculate the absolute speed of the train, then you need to tell me how to do it. Give me your step-by-step method.

Sure I do. I gave you a precise, step-by-step method of measuring it.

Yes I do. I just looked at how many metre sticks it covered. Or, alternatively, I just measured the time it took to travel then multiplied by c.

If by "actual" you mean "absolute" then you're right, because there's no such thing.

You have no way of calculating any "actual velocity" either. Nobody does.

But I gave you an explicit method for determining the train's velocity using light signals. To claim I haven't done so is churlish. It is not any kind of absolute velocity, but that's no fault since no such thing exists.

"But wait!" I hear you cry, "The velocity of light is absolute!"

No it isn't. Since light has the same velocity in all reference frames, then no particular reference frame is more "correct" or "preferred" than any other. The velocity of light is the same in all reference frames, but is in no way "absolute". If light had an absolute velocity, then we'd expect it to vary as we changed reference frames, the same as the velocity of everything else varies as we change reference frames. Also, light would have a "rest frame" in which its velocity could be observed to be zero, just like the guy on the bus observes the bus to have zero velocity relative to him, no matter how fast the bus is moving along the road.

I assume I manufactured my metre sticks in the rest frame of the tracks, perhaps using light signals in conjunction with clocks synchronised in that frame.

Of course, there's no such thing as "the velocity" of the tracks, if you're talking about an "absolute" velocity.

Also, you shouldn't get hung up on metres. The only requirement for my measurement process is to have a number of sticks of the same length. They don't have to be a metre long. I could measure all distances in units of "stick-lengths", and express the speed of light as, say, "stick-lengths per second". That wouldn't change the results of relativity one jot.

There is no "wrong", because there is no "absolute". Sure, rest-frame metre sticks have different lengths to moving-frame metre sticks, but if you bring two metre sticks to relative rest in ANY reference frame then they'll both observably have the same length.

Not at all. That's the beauty of relativity. The laws of physics stay the same in all inertial reference frames. As long as I make all measurements consistently in the same reference frame, all my calculations will be correct. Moreover, I can translate those measures to any other reference frame on request.

I made no assumption about the track velocity. On the contrary, I explicitly showed you that the velocity of the train relative to the track would be equal in magnitude to the velocity of the track relative to the train (for example).

There's a lovely symmetry there which you are attempting to completely toss out by pretending there is some magical "special" frame with absolutely zero velocity, even though you can give no procedure for identifying such a frame.

[quite]Again, all your measurements are based on a zero velocity track. Can you prove the track is at a zero velocity?[/quote]

I am free to assume, without any physical consequence whatsoever, that any ONE particular object is at zero velocity in any problem. I can then calculate/measure all distances, times, speeds relative to that reference and then can translate those value to any other frame of reference you care to specify. It's a marvellously useful technique in physics.

I send out a light pulse and time it for 1/299792458 seconds. I mark off where it started and where it was after the given time. The distance so marked is a metre in the rest frame of the clocks used to measure the time.

13. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Motor Daddy:

I notice that you missed most of the questions I asked you in post #707. I'll wait for you to catch up before posting again after this post.

Where?

Done in the post prior to this one. A meter, as you know, is defined to be the distance travelled by light in 1/299792458 seconds. Notice that no reference frame is mentioned in the definition, which means you can make the measurement in ANY reference frame. In particular, you don't need to make it in some imaginary "absolute" frame.

So we agree. Great!

But you don't know the "absolute" velocity of any frame any more than Einstein does.

If you think you do, please name a reference frame you know the absolute velocity of, and tell me what the absolute velocity is of that frame.

Alternatively, I assume you have identified an "absolute zero velocity" frame. Which frame is that?

---

I'll wait now until you catch up with my previous questions to you.

14. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

I gave you the step by step method. I told you the velocity of a frame, and the length of a frame. You try to prove my method is incorrect by using Einstein's incorrect method, and then come to the false conclusion that mine is wrong. Do you not understand that if mine is right then YOURS is wrong? Remember, I am the one that tells you the velocity of the tracks, the train, the people inside the train, the speed of light, the time of light travel, etc.

When you come to the realization that the tracks can be in motion, then you MUST realize you need to know that motion before you can start to measure length in that frame. Trying to prove a zero velocity doesn't exist by using a thought experiment that bases all its measurements on a zero velocity track is absurd! You can not possibly base measurements on a zero velocity track and then say there is no such thing as a zero velocity!

What more can I say? I tell you everything you need to know, Einstein doesn't, and you stick to his methods. People believe what they want to believe. All I can say is prove it to yourself. Ask yourself how he can possibly determine the length of a meter when he doesn't know the velocity of the frame? To assume a zero velocity of a frame is absurd!

15. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

Post #539.

The definition of a meter is how far light travels in space. That doesn't mean if it takes 1⁄299,792,458 of a second for light to travel from one clock to the other that the distance between the clocks is one meter. It means that in that 1⁄299,792,458 of a second of light travel time, light traveled 1 meter in space. If the object also traveled in space during that same time, the distance from one clock to the other is NOT 1 meter. Do you understand that concept? We can not proceed further until you understand the difference between the distance light travels in space, and the distance between clocks that also could have traveled during the same duration. I'll wait, because until you understand the difference you can not begin to understand where I am coming from.

16. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

What if the object doesn't travel in space relative to the source of light which also doesn't travel in space, the only thing that does travel is the light?

Or are you saying there is no way to arrange for a source of light and another object to "not travel" relative to each other, or as they say, to be at rest, in a stationary frame of reference? There is no such thing as a stationary frame of reference with objects that don't move?

Of course, that last proposition is completely ridiculous, but is that what you think? A train can't be motionless next to a station platform?

17. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

Yes, if the frame has a zero velocity, the light is the only thing that travels in space, hence the distance light travels in space is equal to the distance between the clocks. If the clocks travel with the frame at a velocity greater than zero, the distance light travels will not be equal to the distance between the clocks.

The distance between clocks on a train remains the same. They travel with the train. If you send a light from one clock to the other you are timing the light travel time from one clock to the other. Now you know the time of light travel. That tells you the distance the light traveled in space. But that time doesn't tell you the distance between the clocks, because if the clocks moved during that travel time, the light either traveled more or less distance in space than the distance between the clocks.

If the train doesn't change position next to a platform, the train has the same velocity as the platform. If the platform has a true zero velocity then the train has a true zero velocity. If the platform is traveling at 10 m/s in space, the train is also traveling 10 m/s in space.

18. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

However:
    So we have two clocks on a train with a constsnt distance between them, which doesn't change. But "if" it does you can't use light to tell the distance any more.

So instead, "if" the distance DOESN'T change, your argument is irrelevant--you can use light to determine the distance between two clocks if the distance between them DOESN'T change, right?

And "if" you know the frequency of both clocks, you can use a Lorentz transformation to calculate the changing distance (i.e. the velocity) between the two clocks.
    Oh right, you don't know what a Lorentz transformation of coordinates is, do you?

19. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

The distance between the clocks would be the distance the clocks are away from each other when the time stops when the light reaches the other clock. Do you suggest I stop the time and keep moving the clock away from the other one?

You can use light to determine the distance, as I do, but light travel time doesn't determine the distance the clocks are away from each other, the travel time determines how far the light traveled in space, which may or may not be the same distance as the distance between the clocks, depending on the velocity of the clocks.

So again, the clock stops when the light reaches the other clock.

Instead of trying to prove me wrong, why don;t you understand what I am telling you? You will not prove me wrong because I use light travel time to measure distance, which Einstein does not. By definition I am correct. In order to prove me wrong you have to change the definitions of distance and time.

20. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

What if the clocks are at rest relative to each other, so the distance berween them DOESN'T CHANGE? Don't you understand what you said before:
    ??

That is historically and factually incorrect. Einstein does use the time it takes light to get from one clock to another in his 1905 paper. You have what's known as a misconception, perhaps because you don't really understand what relative motion is, or what the 'absence' of relative motion is (it means there is a stationary frame of reference). In a stationary frame of reference you can have two objects (clocks) that are at a constant distance at ALL times.

There is no reason to assume the 'clocks' will ever be more or less than a CONSTANT distance apart for all time. Therefore it is quite easy to use the constant velocity of light to determine this distance, given the assumption that the distance DOES NOT change.

How reasonable is the assumption that the distance between clocks on a train "remains the same"? Is this a physical impossibility?

21. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

I already said the distance between the clocks remains unchanged. They are bolted to the train a distance apart. Do you acknowledge that the distance can remain the same while the train is in motion?

22. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

Do you understand that light could have to travel 200 feet in space to go from one clock to the other that are spaced 20 feet apart?

If a car is 20 feet in front of you doing 59 MPH, and you are doing 60 MPH, do you have to travel 20 feet to catch him? Why can;t you understand that same concept with light and clocks???

23. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

If the train has a velocity which is much less than the velocity of light, yes, the distance between the fixed clocks remains constant, so does the length of the train.

Do you acknowledge that you were wrong about Einstein using light to measure the distance between stationary clocks?

Do you understand that the clocks fixed to a train are a stationary frame of reference, and this frame is independent of the train's motion? Since light travels independently and the distance between the clocks is constant, light can be used to measure the distance between the clocks regardless of the train's motion?