why do atheist's make it a point to be atheist?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by laladopi, Dec 31, 2008.

1. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Aren't some atheists suing to stop Obama from being sworn into office because he will swear on the Bible?

What does it have to do with them? They aren't being told they have to swear on the Bible.
    They bitch about people trying to force religion on them and yet they want people to do things their way as well. hypocrites.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

Separation of state & church. Religion shouldn't be involved in government.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. laladopi time for change. Registered Senior Member

But what about Obama having his freedom of expression?
    He isn't trying to press his religion upon us (or to our current knowledge).
    So why can't he have his own right to do as he pleases.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

Not in the Constitution, the State according to the Constitution should stand mute on the subject.

Religion should not be pushed out of the pubilc square, read the First Amendment:

Amendment 1 - Freedom of Religion, Press, Expression. Ratified 12/15/1791.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

8. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

I didn't say it's in the Constitution.
    Nice of you to to bold & enlarge a phrase unrelated to what I said.

9. phlogistician Banned Banned

It's word salad. It breaks spelling and grammar. It fails in both syntax and semantics.

Here's a word I bet you can spell;

TROLL.

10. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

because some atheists act as an organized religion. My way or there will be hell to pay

11. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

Then the seperation of Church and State isn't legal.

The Constitution is the Supreme Law of the land, and as stated in the Constitution:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof

12. Enmos Valued Senior Member

What does that have to do with atheism ? There are people like that all over.

13. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

what does atheism have to do with atheists suing so that Obama can't be sworn in with a Bible? :shrug: I think it has everything to do with atheism. Its who whole idea behind the lawsuit.

14. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

Assuming that's really happening, it's probably because separation of church and state isn't being enforced and I suspect that's something very important to some atheists.

15. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

then I think an atheist needs to get them self elected and they can refuse to use a bible. I don't understand why it matters if someone else uses it.

16. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

It's illegal for religion to be a part of anything government related.

17. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Oh, didn't know that. Is it a federal law or is it state by state?

18. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

It's Federal. It's straight from the constitution. See post #28.

19. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I guess I don't read it that way.
    There is no established religion. I bet if Obama was Muslim, he could swear in on the Koran if he wished.
    And it seems like the atheists want to prohibit the free exercise of his religion.

20. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

Christianity would be the religion in this case. I think the issue is that this is a government inaguration for a government employee. If it wasn't funded by the public then the ceremony could be performed in any way desired.

21. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

Please post the relevant part of the Constitution that state such.

The only thing in the Constitution about religion is the first Amendment,

Amendment 1 - Freedom of Religion, Press, Expression. Ratified 12/15/1791.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Plus the Freedom of speech protects the Right to express religious views openly and in the public perview, and that includes in Govermental setting, for the Government is the public square.

22. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

You have already done so; however, I think what you want to see is the legal interpretation:

"The establishment clause prohibits the government from passing legislation to establish an official religion or preferring one religion over another."

http://topics.law.cornell.edu/wex/First_amendment

Any official government practice that utilizes religious practices is going to violate this; hence, it's illegal.

I agree.

23. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

But it doesn't prohibit the free practice of, and:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;

So what don't you get about the free practice of? the free practice isn't limited to your Home, or House of Worship, free practice means that there are no restrictions as to where.