Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

When did Vader say that?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

Well, a set of long range torpedoes would mean that the attacking ship need not get shredded by a planetary defense system.

Or stopped on the way to the target.

Or get caught in the blast radius by accident.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

oh yeah because really have evil ships orbiting our planet right now so we need to build missiles that can fire that high.

Boy if that isnt the biggest waste of money ive ever heard.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

What?

We were talking about having long range weapons on board a warship. Long range weapons on a warship in any scifi title makes sense for the reasons I mentioned, as well as others I'm sure I've left out...

I never said the PLANET needed long range torpedoes (although, it's not a bad idea!).

8. Char Dun Dun DUUUUNNNNN!!! Registered Senior Member

Hey i'm new to this but I think Star Trek is much stronger for a number of reason, the star wars ships really rely on non-canon for most of its good thing and also Q no one can defeat Q from the star wars universe

9. Char Dun Dun DUUUUNNNNN!!! Registered Senior Member

how can you say that enterprise is not canon, and this is the person who thinks EU is canon but not enterpirse which i remind you was OFFICIALLY made by paramount the OFFICIAL owners of star trek making it CANON

10. Char Dun Dun DUUUUNNNNN!!! Registered Senior Member

yeah lol sylar.... iv seen it, it dosn't disrupt the history it compltly rewrites it lets see star wars survive a few drops of red matter one drop made a massive black whole that destroyed a planet, also i think simon pegg was a good scotty

11. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

in EpIV, when they capture Lea's ship. he sais something like set your weapons for stun and then when the stormy shots her instead of the standard bolt, a bluish radial wave comes out of the barel and stuns her. it is the only recorded case of stun setting in SW movies. obviously quite different then normal bolts in both apearence and effects, so SW proponents can't quite say that the rest of the bolts are set for stun so to explain why Ewoks show that much blaster resistance

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

You're not getting it...

Shine a flashlight at a black hole - it won't reflect.

Now, fire a laser pointer at it - again, no return.

Now, fire a 1.24 x 10^99 gigawatt laser as the black hole - again, no return.

Why?

Irregardless of how electrically powerful the laser is, gravity will win. If a gravity field can bend a "weak" laser, it can bend a "strong" laser, because they're both approx the same "weight". Remember, we're dealing with near-zero mass particles here... but not 100% massless, as proven by the fact that powerful gravity fields can bend them.

13. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

No, it doesn't.

Again, what is more powerful:

a 250,000 square foot oil-powered power plant

OR

a 15,000 square foot nuclear-powered power plant?

What's more powerful? 5 square miles of solar panels

OR

a 1/4 square mile coal burning plant?

Size means NOTHING... get that thru your head and you'll be golden.

Why do you say your ships are "warships"...? What do you think the Nova/Norway/Sabre/Akira/Steamrunner/Defiant/Prometheus/Sovereign class ships are? They're dedicated warships...

14. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Yes, but in Star Trek there is a plausible reason for the lack of effect of phaser fire vs non-targets... Phasers have an integrated targetting system. Proof of this is that A) it's mentioned in the series and B) you see the "beam" fired at up to a 20* variation from the direction it's pointed. It makes sense it wouldn't discharge a full beam if contact with the target isn't made

And yes... SW Blaster Rifles have a stun feature... we never see anything less than "OMG SHOOT IT" from the shipborn weapons

15. Saquist Banned Banned

That's exactly right but they make the case anyway.

16. Char Dun Dun DUUUUNNNNN!!! Registered Senior Member

Yeah that's right and also when the blasters are put on stun they fire blue hoop-like instead of red blast so they can't exactly say "ohhh that blaster was on stun"

17. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Unfortunately the real decider of canon for Star Trek was Roddenberry with and I quote "It's not Star Trek until I say it is."

Also comes the fact that Enterprise by it's very existance violated much of the know TOS, TNG, DS(, and VOY future-history. It's only thing to call something canon, but when your own canon violates itself in such an ugly manner you risk becoming the laughing stock of sci-fi.

18. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Actually the Ang-Ti monks could and would defeat the Q with realtive ease. Q has displayed no power not duplicatable by slight more advance federation technology., the Ang-Ti do similar feats despite being "mortal' There is also some question that Luke might be able to surpass even a Q in ability. He performs feat that not other being in all fo SW even Yoda or the Ang-Ti can duplicate. All becuase he does not believe he has limitations.

Also there is the Point that since if we obey Canon we obey how the different factions and such think and act. Q would be popping some jiffy pop and watching the show with the kid.

19. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Becuase we know the Power involved thanks to Data in "Q Who?" Even if the engine was running 10% normal (unlikey as the lights indicated about quarter heavy combat speed) were still talking 1200 billion gigawatts or for the uninitiated is 1.2E20 or 2.87x10E9 gigatons equivalent.

Now all this power isused in a variety of ways. Since the Federation is stupide they must devopte a ton of power to life support, replicating fresh oxygen for the crew. (plants would be so much more efficent), heating and lighting the ships, shielding the antimatter, inertial stabilizers, the main deflector, and hosts of other thisng are going to chew through mian power faster than a Ferenghi hoards latnum. You could pour all power to your shields but that might protect you form only a few blasts. Hell in SW it would save you from one but not the other.

As for the D'dreidrex(sp) warbird it actually produces the same amount of power as a GCS, which is way the huge vessel can even reach warp six at all though go no faster

20. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

unfortunately for all of us trek canon is formulated by those dudes in Paramount, so we (the fans) just got flushed down the toilet

21. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

ugh, feds replicate oxygen? since when? may i know the source of this info?

actually the fact that putting all power to shields does only marginally improve their performance shows that all the minor systems use far less power then the shield system. i'd guess the major power sink for all Fed ships is actually their warp drive.

now the D-Deridex is not limited to warp six, unless you mean while it's cloaked?

22. Char Dun Dun DUUUUNNNNN!!! Registered Senior Member

Actually the forums called STAR TREK VS STAR WARS not what TW wants from star trek vs what he wants from star wars oh and here is a quote from wikipedia "Q's power is limited only in that he can not overcome others in the Q Continuum, the peer group to which he belongs. Otherwise, he can do more or less whatever he wants," I can't give you the link because i need to post 20 posts before im allowed but all you need to do is type q from star trek into google

23. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

Confirmed, the D'Deridex has a safe top speed of Warp 9. Warp 6 is a cloak imposed limitation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.