Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

This quote here...this...has no weight. There's nothing in the SW movies to dispute that Luke Skywalker's boots are made of coloured ice...but this is ridiculous right?

So far, no one except you harps on the power of each turbolaser blast.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

Kitt's argument aside, the Borg would fare exactly the same against a theoretical weapon as you describe. About 2 or 3 of the soldiers would die, then the shielding system would adapt, rendering the weapon useless.

I cannot recall right now - but nothing Data said indicated that the Cube was easy prey - Fed ships were being dispatched willy-nilly (at least as nilly as the Borg get)...indeed the Defiant (the Borg buster design) was in shambles when Enterprise E flew in; however, I've the DVD...I'll check it out later.

Picard was only helpful against the new tactics that Enterprise D staff had developed. (Geordi's deflector blast, Shelby's modulating weapons). These were experimental, and not in widespread use. The only hurdle to the Cube at that point was Enterprise-D. The assimilation of Picard removed that ship as a threat. Not the others.

No, the dead horse I referred to was your "one billion gagillion, fafillion, shabolubalu million illion yillion" gigaton ISD TL claims. Kitt still likes to fight you on em, but it got old for me.

The Borg are thus far indeed a sort of old hat since Janeway beat them into submission (forced...they can't really reach Fed space for a while) ...but they're still there.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

mmm.. chocolate ice... damnit, now I'm hungry...

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

You know, this argument carries a lot of weight with it... there is nothing in Star Wars to suggest that we're watching an actual, full-sized civilization... for all we know, they could be inside one of the lockers at MIB Headquarters and their entire galaxy fits on an earth-cat's collar...

8. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

9. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Except that nonthing in any other form of canon makes a claim that Luke Sky Walkers boots are made of colored ice. If you are going to try to make an argument, try not to use a red herring.

There is canon material supporting 200 gigtaons. Lucas and Lucasfilm agree with this figure.. Any arguments against this figure are inded pointless.

10. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

This may or may not be correct. We have seen the shielding system fal against anything physical. Never has a drone adapted to a physical impact. We know Blasters have a physcial impact as their bolts knock people back, over and even blow chunks of hardened concret out of walls. Since BORG shielding has shown no ability to deal with any physical imapcts it would indeed be useless.

It took several shots for the ship to Disable the Defiant, which is designed as a BOrg buster not becuase it can do it by itself, but becuase you can build and crew more of them with the same resorces. FOre Every full blown starship you can get 2 to 10 Defiants.

Locutus was seen directing the battle of Wolf 359 the only battle where a Borg cube showed any tactical ability. Starfleet Officer who survived Wolf 359 held a resentment toward Picard becuase they realize he was directing the battle.

xcuse me but it is 200 gigatons and it a canon number. Just becuase if you lined up 10 Fed GCS ships the beam could shoot through all of them does not mean you get to cry foul. It's just time to realize that in a war Star Trek loses.

Yes and less of a Threat to the Empire than Jar Jar Binks.

11. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

No, there is NO cannon material supporting 200 gigtoans, NOR 200 gigatons... and Lucas and Lucasfilm do not agree with this figure...

Show me where George Lucas has said "the raw output of a turbolaser blast is 200 gigatons" and we'll leave you alone...

12. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

me neither. From the trailers i've seen it looks awesome. but then again if you see the trailer it also screws up the entire ST timeline. weapon's that blow up planets, suits to resist burning decening to earth. the speed that young kirk smashes into that battlethingy in the admosfeer.

i'm curious though to see Sylar/Spock lol.

13. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

dude the ds2 was not finished yet. and the ships could only enter when the shield was finaly down. if it where up they just would smash into the shield.
    proof ? Lando's reaction on wether the shield is down yet.

The unfinished DS2 was the whole bait thing because the rebels knew it was their only shot on destroying the deathstar. It was a opertunity they could not affort to miss. because as stated by lucasfilm "once finished the ds2 would be invincible.

as for armor strength of the ds2. a eclipse stardestroyer crashed on his surfis without any segnificant damage.

so the ds2 could easily pull a fed ship in and just let it crash

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

14. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

this is getting pretty ridiculous.
    and so what ?? even if the starwars galaxy would fit in ""Orions belt"" that would mean jack shit to means op power. the ds still would blow up aldaran with the same amount of power. the ships would just need asmuch power asbefore, hyperspace still would be fast.

as ST possibly can't be in the same universe as MIB; St would be dangeling next to SW in a sack full of marbles

maybe one of these marbles is warhammer40k

15. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

actually the visuals support no vaporisation as such at all, and scaling the bolts next to the asteroids hit (as posted on this very thread long ago) show the asteroids as being smaller then the usual claims of 50+ metres. actually even you yourself posted a video of a block of ice being vaporised and the amount of "gas" released was significant. just imagine what how would 30000 cubic meters of rock look like if conventionally turned into gas (where the estemates for the TLs come from) and the more energy you aply the larger and fastre the volume of this gas would be. but onscreen we only see a puff of smoke, some debries and that's it. no flash no rapid expansion of gas (unless the explosion is FTL now

).

as for the bolt being a tracer it is a possibility as much as it is possible that it is a part of composite weapon, a "light" EM invisible component and a "heavy" plasma based component. after all we have seen significant explosions only after the bolt hits, while all other cases where the explosion preceads the bolt are in relatively light fire regime.

now given the first remark, if flack and FTL guns are just enough to smack asteroids in 10-30m diameter and flack destroying fighters with 1-2 shots (fighters are destroyed with 4-10 shots from Tie Fighter lasers that don't even leave scortching mark when they hit the same asteroids) the medium TLS and heavy HTLs can't stray too much off in firepower. i'd give them 1:10:100:1000 ratio at best, which would make a HTL 1000 times stronger then a flack TL that would make them capable of blasting asteroids withing the 100m diameter or so. quite good if you ask me but nowhere near the absurd level of firepower that would mess up the global climate on a planet with a single shot.

16. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

i fear that this movie would mess up the time line even more then the Enterprise series did. far more.....

17. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

i agree with most of the post, but the part where the SSD crushes into the DS is just plain awful. i mean the SSD explodes after its tip touches the DS surface and it explodes as if filled with explosives. and think of the irony, many SW side debaters claim ST ships have low survivability and blow up easely while the SDs are suposedly very durable and operational aftrer taking huge amounts of damage. this HUGE ships blew it self up after its tip got rammed. earlier in the battle an ISD2 with no previous damage markings is obliterated after a random Calamari cruiser shoots with single HTL, and it explodes all at once, no secondary damage indications, as if filled with fuel.

all these events don't really do credit for the SW proponents as far as movies go. rocks smacking towers, slow targeting against suposedly ECM capable targets (even rocks or well into visual range), explosion waiting to happen capital ships.... lives SW with just speed and death stars. and not a single operational one at that, unless the engagement takes place just before EpIV.

18. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

That's kind of my point... if SW is a galaxy in a marble, then the DS is smaller than a sub atomic particle, meaning that it cannot realisticly generate the power to affect a full-sized planetoid

:m:

19. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

this is where u are wrong because it would not make a difference. you would be looking from outside the universe but for the lifeforms inside the universe things would be just the same.

the ds still would need the same amount of power to destroy alderan.
    physics would still be the same.

It would be differnt for the eye of the beholder that i agree

but it would be some powerfull nanotech

20. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

another advantage SW has is that if not the jedi surely the sith would sence or see the collision of universes way before it really happend so they will be prepared. they probable have a fleet of DS's , suncrushers and worlddevastators ready.

you would not be talking of a ds3 but ds200 lol. it would just take al worlds to work together to achieve that goal.

21. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Uhm, I meant that the micro-sized DS wouldn't be able to affect the full-sized earth

22. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

After having seen the new Trek movie... I can officially say that Star Wars is boned

They made cannon:

Co-Axial Warp Drive and what appears to be Quantum Pulse Cannons with Spocks ship from the future... which shows that in the normal Trek timeline Co-Axial warp is put into practice, which is a tech shown in voyager - we can assume safely that other technology is probably put to the test as well

But even without the other tech... we now have a solution to HyperDrive - CoAxial Warp drive

Also, this just in - The sequal is already in the works... and this movie BROKE THE TREK MOVIE CURSE! WOOOOOOOOHAW! GO J J! GO J J!

23. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

I could point out that at no point did I post a video of a block of ice being vaporized.

However you are confusing vaporization in an atmospshere and one in a vacuum. One done in a vaccum, would spread out so quickly as visible for only a short period of time. There was indeed a bright flash as the asteroid was hit and then the rapid expansion of the release gasses with absolutely no outside pressure to keep it in a dense cloud for any lenght of time.

So in your opinion a 20 inch gun on a current model battleship would only be 1000 times as powerful as a 7.62Nato round? Do you see how ridiculoua your statement is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.