Purest H2O

Discussion in 'Chemistry' started by lixluke, Jun 7, 2006.

1. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

What is the purest H2O out there you could get?

What is the purest type of bottled water that the supermarkets and hypermarkets sell by the gallon? (Purest as in closest to 100% H2O).

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. vslayer Registered Senior Member

the purest water you could find would be created by the combustion of hydrogen and oxygen. however the companies that market water, market it as a natural healthy product and therefore give you spring water loaded with minerals, rather than pure water.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

When I go to the store, I usually see:
    Drinking, Purified, Distilled, Spring, etc,

Which one of those is the purest H2O?
    Otherwise, where can I get 100% combusted hydrogen and oxygen.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. draqon Banned Banned

distilled is the purest. If you really are after the purest water then you need to go to the local university/institute chem/bio lab in the area they should have the awsome distillators that purify water.

8. przyk squishy Valued Senior Member

Just don't drink it. It wouldn't do your health any good.

9. draqon Banned Banned

exactly. The body needs water with nutrients in it, pure warer does do much good, there is a reason why but i forgat what it is.

10. dsdsds Valued Senior Member

Distilled is the purest and you can buy it anywhere. I buy cases of it @ $1.14/gallon and use it my humidifier.

11. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

Kewl. I've been drinking distilled water for about 10 years. I buy by the gallon, and drink it all day long. I figured it was the purest H2O available to consumers, but was never fully sure.

12. leopold Valued Senior Member

i will agree that distilled water is the purest form of water that is readily available.

13. ArpusDogma Mere Sinndoor Registered Senior Member

And what is tonic

14. Naat Scientia potestas est. Registered Senior Member

Why the hell would you do that? Do you even know why people drink water? It is because it has minerals in it.

Distilled water IS NOT the purest, some chemist distilled the same water more then 50 times and it still led electricity (it had dissolved minerals )
    Since O2 and H2 are in the market, you can make your own pure H20.
    Purest of them all would be H20 from combustion of H2 and O2, as vslayer so elegantly told.

15. Facial Valued Senior Member

Pure H2O dissociates to H+ and OH- in dynamic equilibrium at 10^-7 molar (neutral pH) - you can never have pure H2O.

16. Facial Valued Senior Member

Other than that, distilled water is the purest that you can buy in practical terms (economically). But I've heard that it's not healthy - I wonder why.

17. water the sea Registered Senior Member

I am purest water. I can't be bought though.
    And I am ... quite dissociated.

18. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

http://www.mercola.com/article/water/distilled_water.htm

The dangers of drinking distilled (water).

edit:

At the same time it is easy to find articles that 'debunk' the myth that drinking distilled is bad for you.

To me it seems unnatural to drink distilled. Our bodies have never evolved to drink distilled. Water always had a mineral content, and a bacterial content. The idea is not to have excesses of any substance.

It is mentioned that distilled water is highly reactive. It can for instance easily absorb some metals.

I've seen also reports where bottled mineral water was analyzed and oh boy, that wasn't always good. Some had for instance higher lead content then that was allowed. In concentrations that can be detrimental.

Should you drink distilled? I see no reason why. I see reasons why you shouldn't. Hence the conclusion is simple.

In a way I am happy to be back in Finland. I can drink water from the tap again and it tastes better than any bottled water.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2006
  19. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

I see reasons why you shouldn't drink distilled. Becuase it is not the purest form of H2O. Especially after what Naat said.

But that is the closest thing we have available to pure H2O on the deserted market.

The object is 100% H2O. No minirals no bacteria no nothing.
    I do not see any logic in not wanting to drink the purest water one can get other than taste.
    I personally get my minirals from food.

20. perplexity Banned Banned

To be bought you'd have to be worth a price.

--- Ron.

21. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

waneer ging jij terug naar finland? waarom niet holland?

22. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

minerals give the water taste, pure water would be utterly tasteless because humans cannot taste water, only substances dissolved in it
    It's not just about minerals, osmosis will cause body cells to swell up and burst

23. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

Eep op ork ok ok choop choop beep.

Even if that were true which I have yet to see any proof for, am I supposed to really care whether or not I can taste it?
    It's pure H2O. Water with no extra crap in it.

So if I drink 100% pure H2O, my cells will swell up and burst?