The Taliban Syndrome

Discussion in 'Politics' started by S.A.M., Mar 31, 2007.

1. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Depends on what you consider their noble ideals. I think Mohammed was a man who taught people to live good lives, with their families and communities. In my opinion, Buddha was an escapist, whose way of life was (again IMHO) meant for those with little interest in anything other than themselves. Buddhism has little appeal for a family man.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

SamCDKey:

That strongly depends on what type of Buddhism we are discussing. There is also a strong difference between Buddhist laymen and Buddhist clergy. The clergy, obviously, must adhere to more stringent rules of behaviour, intended towards apprehension of nirvana.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

It had a rather ominous tone! I could almost here a JAWS like da da da da da da da..>>>!!!!!

There is no doubt in my mind the English will continue to become Atheists. Perhaps various life philosophies will emerge the new "religions"?

edit Jews is now JAWS like as in the movie JAWS!! But re-reading it and thinking of Jews with the theme from Jaws made me LOL

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2007
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Sure, but Buddhism per se is an individualistic creed. I think that is the reason it is so attractive to Westerners too.

I also think that is the reason it ultimately failed in India.

8. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

Well I suppose it depends on if you consider a polygamist a good family man! Haaa sorry about that! But really, my culture says no (and actually you once told me you disapprove of polygamy).

James is correct. Some teachers, doctors, scientists, and yes clergy (EX: Mother Terissa (sp?)) ect.. dedicate their lives so that others will benefit from wisdom. My friend uses Buddhas technique to feel at peace. He is far from living a life of an escapist. But, yes, if he does eat a lot of meat or drink too much too often then the technique doesn't work as well.

The QUOTE was:
    "Religious zeal may take two divergent paths. A man may prove his religiosity by living the noble ideals and values of his faith. This, however, is a demanding option. The cheap alternative is to exalt one's God by bringing down all other Gods. If you project yourself as the enemy of your neighbour's God then, maybe, your God could be fooled into believing that you are his man."

So I think the assumption is the person with "Religious zeal" will take two paths. Which path did Buddha and which path did Mohammad take?

9. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

No I find your questions a little silly , so I just gave you the link to Indonesian religions to show you why I thought they were silly questions.

Plus, you appear to have some strange notions of Islam which reflect Wahabism rather than Islam, and I've already answered them before so I'm not sure what you hope to achieve by asking me again.

Plus I'm also doing SAS so I'm not completely focused.

10. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

see Edit about Jews = JAWS .. too funny!

11. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

That shows how much you know about Islam then.
    Why do you think Islam has a better record of religious tolerance as compared to other religions, considering how widespread it is? Muhammed was as respected among the Jews and Byzantine Christians as he was among the Muslims.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reforms_under_Islam_(610-661)

12. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

What's that?

Ooo don't worry about those questions - for now. But, IMHO, Buddha seems to have taken the path of Meditation (as he is famous for) and as for Mohammad I don't think he is renown for Mediation (is he), usually, or so I thought, he hears something in his head from "God" and then conquered the evil wicked polytheistic Arab neighbors. It seems rather like he took door #2!

Anyway, I'm just about ready to re-submit a pain in the arse of a manuscript so please tell Allah to see that this one is accepted! If he has any sway of the editorial board anyway

MII

13. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

Sam, there used to be a chain of Christian monestaries along the Eastern Arabian coast. They all fell to Armies of Islam. I can not imagine why Byzantine Christians would be so happy to see that?

Secondly, I was not talking about People of the Book, I specifically made mention to polytheistic Arabs.

14. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

SAS is an invention of Satan.

And don't worry, Inallaha ma'as-Saabereen (God is with those who are patient).

15. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

Not to mention that little ditty that Pope mentioned from the then Byzantine empiror? Something about Mohammad only brought war and intolerance?

Anyway, my point was specific to the polytheist Arabs or Medina and Mecca...

16. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

They weren't polytheistic, they were idolators.

Besides they had socially unacceptable practices and Muhammed was primarily a social reformer.

17. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

That guy was a loser, look him up.

18. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

SAS seems more like a corporate thing? Why are you using it?

19. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Nope its a statistical analysis software. I use it for my data analysis, with SigmaPlot.

I have DXAs all day and analysis all evening for the whole week Gah!:bugeye:

20. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

I seriously just LOL

Pffff LOL....

sorry about that but really I was laughing quite a bit there

That so did not sound like you. As a matter of fact, not it was the SAS talking!

Sam Sam Sam - sometimes we love you here in AU

Take care, I have to scat cat ...

Cheers,
    Michael II

21. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

LOL - are you really being witty and funny or am I in on my own joke or what....??? coffee I need coffee....

22. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Seriously.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manuel_II_Palaeologus

23. Zakariya04 and it was Valued Senior Member

Dear Sam,

I have now read the intial post and indeed it is very interesting.

i do agree witha lot of what this dude says, the sort of thing i have been trying to say for a while but obviously not with the same articulation.

thanks a lot sam

~~~~~~~~~~
    take it ez
    zak