Are neurotics special in their characters?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Aria84, May 27, 2010.

1. Aria84 Registered Senior Member

Does becoming neurotic needs a special kind of personality?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. mathman Valued Senior Member

No. Most people are neurotic to some degree - it is hard to avoid.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

We are all neurotic

To take Mathman's point a bit further, I hold with Freud insofar as neurosis is part of the human condition. Neurosis derives from ongoing conflict between instinctive inclination and civilized obligation. We are all neurotic in some context; the main question is at what point the symptoms of that conflict transgress into dysfunction.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

psychopaths have a 17% reduction in their amygdala. They equate to about 1 in 100 people. Only a small amount kill. Those that do kill appear to have a problem sending and receiving information from their small amygdala and their forebrain.

Psychopaths with small amygdala and normally connected forebrains seem to be at east screwing someone out of their life savings but probably wouldn't go so far as to murder them. These sort of people are often smarter than normal with no scruples. Probably a lot of bankers have atrophied amygdala. :shrug:

8. mathman Valued Senior Member

Neurotics are (generally) not psychopaths.

9. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

can you please give a fairly benign example. I have a hard time believing I'm neurotic.

10. Doreen Valued Senior Member

Do you worry about what people think of you? Does this ever - I mean ever - keep you from doing something you would like to do? Note: it should be something generally considered moral.

IOW some legal act that some upstanding citizens openly engage in, but you hesitate because of what people might think.