Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

There is a reason Star War tech has seemed to freeze a bit, though not much actually. They don;t make revolutionary new and fragile advancments, they slowly refine and perfect their technologies.

Look at comparison:

Star Wars dominates the AI department. Droids that can perform the most complicated medical procedures are so common that their are different models, including some that are programmed with a bedside manner superior to most living doctors.

Star Wars dominates power generation with Hypermatter reactors. The Death Star was able to generate isn 24 hours the same amount of energy our sun produces in seven year. The Death Star II could pull it off every hour.

Star Wars dominates FTL. They have a form of travel that can span a large galaxy in days, maybe as little as hours if you have an Engine like the Falcon's

Star Wars dominates the ground combat. Their soldier wear NBC sealed armor and carry high power rifles. Speciality troops are armed with heavy weapons or precision weapons. There are tanks, walkers, speeder support, artillery, and a myriad of heavy support for the infantry.

Turbolasers: A primary weapon system that utilizes blaster gas technology to create impressive energy weapons capable of multi gigaton fire power.

Shields: The vessels are shielded by energy fields capable of taking several multi gigaton level effect without collapsing.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2008
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

okay then it is impossible for the Federation to receive assistance from ANYONE onlless that third part is attackes. COuld the Federation alone take out the Empire? No. So they fall, then the Romulans are targets, then Gorn, Tholian, Klingon, Kzinti, Cardassian, Breen....All of them fighting alone.

"It would take half the starfleet and more firepower than I have see...." is the direct quote.

EU is very much a part of this fight.

Okay lesson here. If you go frame by frame Phasers are the EXACT same speed as Turbolasers. Remember visual over come script.

Phasers may be more efficent but 99% of 5 million gigawats is not as good a 50% of 104 billion gigawats

Didn't you notice Anaking and Obi-Wan fighting over liquid lava on Mustafar. Or Yoda absorbing Sidious' force lightning?

he is saying if the Enterprise TOS could destroy a small planet why well many of the threats they faced over the years not just taken care of. Why beam picard to fight Soren at all. See the logic here.

Actually there are at least billions of Freighter and Capital starships in the SW galaxy. Though I would say the total number of viable capital ships is close on the order of a million total in the navy. Ranging from Corvettes to Death Stars.

You are assuming that Borg will be able to beam through shields (they can;t), beam through dense materials (they can't) and being welcomed aboard. If twelve Federation ships can nearly cripple a Borg Cube, it would only take two squadron of fighters to do similiar damage on a Cube.

You are also assuming that Blaster work on a principal similar to Phasers, which they do not. Phasers have a frequency becuase they reley on a tranfered particle to cuase the effect. Where as blasters are more of a plasma weapon. the strike has kinetic and thermal properties at the same time.

Network is roughly same speed, but is easily detectable.

I think you missed the point Star Wars is 6 BILLION years away and the movie ET proves the galaxy is still there and thriving.

Actually it was Gene's assessment as well. But it matter not the Q would not get involved as it is just a human affair.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Uh... no. Q can simply snap his fingers and Skywalker would CEASE TO EVER HAVE EXISTED... and that's one of a billion Q... you aren't going to beat him. Period.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Care to whine some more scott?

8. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Scott... Borg could EASILY beam thru Wars shields, especially considering they leave GAPS big enough for a fucking STARFIGHTER to get thru!

ET is a joke Camio - lay that one to bed already!

Scott, you know what... I'm going to say a few words RIGHT NOW that will screw you over. Since you're SUCH a big fan of cannon...

Star Wars Christmas Spectacular...

There. I said it. Do you REALLY want me to take information from there, or would you like to start sticking to higher cannon?

The Q have gotten involved in human affairs before - how about when Q reset the position of a moon crashing towards a planet after the Ent-D protected him while he had no powers?

Or the fact that Q helped Picard fix the temporal anomaly that he had inadvertently created?

Or when Q helped teach Picard a lesson in humility by introducing him to the Borg?

There are PLENTY of other times Q HELPED Picard in a less than normal way... just because he has FUN with the Humans doesn't mean he's never helped them... would he REALLY let his favorite playtoys... and indeed, the ones Q HIMSELF have said would one day SURPASS the Q Continuum, die? I HIGHLY doubt it.

Anakin vs Obi-Wan over lava... big whoop. It means they can withstand a bit of heat. If you didn't realize it... we have real live people who walk beside lava rivers and take measurements using only asbestos based long-gloves and heavy boots in addition to normal clothing. It's not really THAT hot unless you are like, INCHES from the lava... they were floating an undetermined distance away for most of the battle until the platform started to sink.

The Federation have Alliances with the Gorn, Hydrans, Lyrans, and almost two dozen OTHER star-alliances INCLUDING the Klingons and Romulans! What could POSSIBLY make you think they wouldn't help the Federation, especially against a "threat" like you THINK the Gal Feds would be?

9. Saquist Banned Banned

Well logicaly from your post that is exactly what I was looking for.
    So...you're speculating.

I think the Trek has proven beyond a shadow of doubt that phaser is many times more powerful. I understand that you don't agree but neither have you proved your arguments to be justified in dictating it before the great presence of overwhelming information to the contrary.

Yes that would be the slow progress we refered to.
    Everyone mearsures in parsecs.

And how long ago was that war.

That's wrong...

10. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

don't forget guys, TWS is right about one thing: "Remember visual over come script".
    and the visuals don't show the phasers as near c weapons. even the beams. they are a bit faster then TLs every now and then though.

to SkywalkerJedi
    i did compare the Venators. the article clearly matches them with a Victory class, being only superior to them in hangar room and fighter complement. ISDs are clearly the superior ships here. the Venators might be more versatile though, being cruisers in SW classification.

11. SkywalkerJedi アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) Registered Senior Member

I never seen they use a personal emitter in Voyager. Droids can go almost anywhere. I never seen they use Holograms that is good as Data.
    They can produce that amout of energy. They did cover the whole Death Star except the 2 meter hole, because they did ventalation to removed the waste. Death Star have the ability to go to Hyperspace. The Death Star is a base, a factory, battlestation, troop carrier and a superweapon all combined, the energy need to do all that plus all the engines is that much.
    I agree the statment is untrue because they can go across the galaxy in 15 hours for any normal ship ,not days. If Star Trek warp drive is as fast as you claimed it to be, why can't the Dominions get reinforcements from Gamma Qudrant insted of being stranded? Why can't Voyager made it back in 7 years with all that allien help? Why did the borg lost in Star Trek: First Contact, acording to your claim they can send in many reinforcements. Star Wars can too make wormhole via gravity well.
    Republic Commandos and Spacetroopers have sealed armor. The Akira-class can't get close enough because they have LATT/i gunship, Attack crusiers, Starfighters, frighters, and ventor star destroyers covering them. They usally deploy fleets to support ground troops.

Turbolaser is as impressive as that.

prove it.

12. SkywalkerJedi アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) Registered Senior Member

You are forgetting the Ventors have DUAL turbolasers not single.

13. SkywalkerJedi アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) Registered Senior Member

Well yes.

There is a problem. Star Wars never attack a planet with turbolaser ( they do have the range in the novles about the Clone Wars ) so it is hard to perdict the damage it will do to a planetary surface and Star Wars don't measure their turbolaser affect.

Instead of inventing new things, they focus on improving them instead. They will build new thing once they already improved their current technology.

Skywalker is almost the force itself.

14. SkywalkerJedi アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) Registered Senior Member

Starfighters can't go through the shields, Trek shields and Republic shields are not the same. If so, the Q would of ended the Dominion War and the Borg threat in seconds, you said they help humans. Skywalker got burned by lava and surrived.

15. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

and you are forgetting ISD1 uses dual TLs and ISD2 uses octal barbette mountings.

but they did attack asteroids giving as a valid representation of TL firepower.

BTW DS1 was not really shielded. X-wings went right trough and they fired freely on the surface and the batteries.

16. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Sealed armor... that's it... Skywalker, I'm putting an end to your babble NOW!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

17. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

YOU SEE? YOU CAN SEE UP THEIR FUCKING HELMATE! I DO NOT CALL THAT "AIRTIGHT". Goddamn boy... you are starting to piss me off bout as much as scott!

If STARFIGHTERS could not go thru shields, then WHY THE HELL were X-wings and Y-Wings and even the damn FALCON small enough to fit between the shield grid on the DS and blow it to hell?
    An Akira class would never be HIT by the turbolaser batteries - they turn at sub-sonic velocities... an Akira can ENTER the atmosphere at damn near .5 light speed!

Prove that a Trek ship can go INTO a sun? Aight, here you go!

Parallax - Star Trek Voyager, Season 3: The Starship Voyager (a meager SCOUT) got trapped inside a QUANTUM SINGULARITY (read, black hole) and must find a way to get out. While the hull IS being stressed slightly, it's no real concern for the crew. Here is the full synopsis:

18. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

As for why it takes so long to get anywhere in Star Trek: Quantum Slipstream is a new technology. Janeway was NOT willing to sacrifice ANY other races to get Voyager home early... so she went on normal Warp 8 (not the fastest they could go, but good for conserving fuel... remember, Warp 9.95 is aroudn 3,000 times faster than warp 8, or something like that)

Transwarp is relatively new technology that the Federation is studying... the Excelsior project comes to mind.

19. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Oh, and in Star Trek: Voyager, their EMH (emergency Medical HOlogram, eg, their doctor) had a personal holographic emitter come season two I believe it was. This allowed him to leave the ship at will!

So BOOSH BOY!

20. Flectarn Unregistered User Registered Senior Member

actually i think it was more like warp 6 most of the time... and they kept running out of fuel and breaking their engine...

21. SkywalkerJedi アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) Registered Senior Member

I said REPUBLIC COMMANDOS and SPACETROOPERS.

22. SkywalkerJedi アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) Registered Senior Member

I said prove that Star Wars warships can't ( the Falcon is not a warship )

23. SkywalkerJedi アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) Registered Senior Member

keywork: Studying not invented. If so why are the dominions stranded in Alpha Qudrant, acroding to you they can go to Gamma Qudrant in a few days

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.