USA - One person shot every 5.2 minutes

Discussion in 'World Events' started by James R, Nov 10, 2009.

1. WillNever Valued Senior Member

I'm not Lord Hillyer, whoever that is. Although I have been using this site for a long time, that is not an alias I ever used.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. WillNever Valued Senior Member

That question completely (and conveniently) ignores everything that I said in my previous post. Next case.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

so how DO the guns get there? the blacks pull them out of there assholes?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Asguard, how do criminals get anything? How do people, criminals as well as regular citizens, get illegal drugs?

Is that how druggies (criminals) get their illegal drugs?

Force people? ...LOL! You like that idea, do you, Asguard? What else would you like to force people to do or be? While most of the world is trying to live in freedom, you're going the other way ...trying to take people's freedom? And you don't have a problem with that ideal?

Baron Max

8. sniffy Banned Banned

Could you demonstrate how people anywhere in this current world of arbitrarily imposed borders are living in freedom? I mean i wouldn't mind moving right next door to you Baron. May I?

9. WillNever Valued Senior Member

No more purposeful exaggerated misinterpretations from people who can't spell and ask nonsense questions to avoid addressing relevant points.

As I stated earlier, when you're ready to respond like a mature adult, I'll be waiting.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
  10. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Exactly.

Then don't follow it. You deal with your issues and we'll deal with ours.

Just don't come beating your chests with a problem YOU have yet to solve in your own country.

11. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

I'm sure the best way for you to plead your vacuous case is to dismiss sources.

Another vacuous claim to plead your case.

The so-called diversions are points brought up to demonstrate your hypocrisy. See?

Wash, rinse, repeat?

Really Sam... er James, would have expected far better from you.

12. phlogistician Banned Banned

Yet I live in a UK city where by 2012, white people will be a minority. Do we see more shootings due to ethnic diversity and racial tension than other UK cities?

No.

Are you inferring that residents of my city somehow manage to behave better because of some intangible 93% national average?

No, of course you aren't.

Maybe it's our strict guns laws that keep our gun crime low then, ...

13. WillNever Valued Senior Member

Please state that location and which minority or minorities are proliferating there.

14. phlogistician Banned Banned

http://www.neighbourhood.statistics...4&m=0&r=1&s=1258397439531&enc=1&dsFamilyId=87

Making us one of the most ethnically diverse, with the largest non-white population, ang guess what? We aren't top for crime figures;

Which rather blows the excuse for American gun crime out of the water. Simply, we have low gun crime, because we have strict laws.

15. Echo3Romeo One man wolfpack Registered Senior Member

Sword crime, on the other hand...

16. WillNever Valued Senior Member

Why would you have top crime figures? There is only one major minority in that city... and they are Indians.

~65% white and ~35% Indian-asian is not "ethnically diverse," phlog.

You have low gun crime because your country is for the most part ethnically homogenous. The UK is ~93% white. Citing one city that differs from the norm doesn't change that. Exceptions do not invalidate the rule. That's why they're called "exceptions."

There is also a cultural component at work here. The only major minority in your area are British Indians. Indian immigrants (and their descendants) are by and large a peaceful people. It's part of their culture. That culture does not pervade amongst African-Americans and hispanics in the USA. We have a centuries-long racial history regarding hispanics and especially blacks that you guys are lacking. It is also a very recent history. For that reason, comparing the diversity of your one mostly white but partially Indian town to the diversity of the entire USA makes no sense.

This is another case where those who aren't intimately familiar with the USA should probably stay out of this discussion. They don't know what they're talking about.

17. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

And yet, I'm still here, and you're still addressing yourself to me.

Not much of a dismissal, from where I stand. Too bad you don't have a bailiff to back up your judge routine.

A sound policy analysis if ever I've seen one.

What about those who hunt for food?

Oh, right, anyone who eats meat is a neanderthal whose preference must be excluded from policy prescriptions. And I'm the one with a screwy perspective.

Even seen a pack of coyotes? I suppose dingos would be the relevant question for Australians.

Are you being intentionally obtuse, or are you just stammering at this point?

Funny, I could have sworn that was me (someone who does not own a gun, nor fear for his personal safety) talking.

Did you have anything of substance to back that up, or are you just going to proceed via blanket denials?

And yet, the US exhibits the world's longest history of continuous democratic self-government, coexistant with an armed citizenry. Australia, on the other hand, can boast less than 20 years of democracy with a disarmed citizenry. Call me skeptical. Or don't: if you aren't even going to attempt a substantive argument of your position, then it doesn't really matter what you have to say on the question in the first place.

It's a serious question, and you don't appear to have a serious response to it. But, hey, this is SciForums: when did we ever let that stop a good trolling?

Again with the "hick" aspersions and geographical attributions, eh? It's starting to come off as pretty bizarre.

Anyway here's a few factoids for you:

I grew up in the county with the highest per-capita concentration of PhDs in the world.

I currently live in a major city in coastal CA.

If you're unable to reconcile my views with mainstream (even left-leaning) American thought, and must instead assign me to some kind of rural redneck category, then it seems that you do not understand America very well at all.

Offhand? When it becomes comparable to or larger than other causes of injury that we accept without blinking an eye (traffic, alcohol, etc.).

No kidding. The difference is that there aren't large population centers right outside your borders. Those boats have to come from much further away, and cross large, uninhabited areas where they are subject to detection and interdiction. There's also a lot less incentive to smuggle things into Australia, given its vastly lower population density. The market just isn't there.

I'm not blaming anyone. I've simply pointed out that strict gun control measures (ala Australia) will be highly problematic to enforce, given that we share an basically uncontrollable 2000-mile border with a country of over 100 million people that have a proud history of private gun ownership. We can't stop them from coming here in their millions, nor stop them from regularly smuggling in large quantities of illegal narcotics. What makes you think we can stop them from meeting the huge US demand for guns?

I didn't coin that word. You appear to have a very poor vocabulary, for an ostensibly native speaker of English. If you have a more concise word for "throwing one's self out/off of a high building," then I'm all ears.

It is becoming striking, the way in which you explicitly refuse any substantive discussion, while gleefully siezing any pretense to run your condescension act. Not the sort of thing that someone interested in serious, respectful discussion proceeds, in my experience.

Are you playing dumb, or are you the genuine article?

I'll take this opportunity to repeat my previous recommendation of a vacation. As others have noted already, you are exhibiting many of the dishonest, petty rhetorical tactics that we associate with problem-posters like S.A.M.

18. Gustav Banned Banned

james?

also

why the disparity?

19. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Canberra had 0.64 homicides per 100,000 people. London had three times that rate ”

why the disparity?

i think i can answer this (and i already have). For the most part Canberra isnt a city, maybe as little as 1/4 (at a guess) of the population are there for the reasons you would live in Melbourne or Sydney (ie grew up there ect). The rest of the population is senior public servants, Defence personal, The high court, Diplomats and pollies ect. As i said before Canberra exists ONLY to be the capital, there was nothing there before they chose it as aprox half way between melbourne and sydney

20. John99 Banned Banned

three times 0.64 per 100k isnt that much.

21. WillNever Valued Senior Member

People are also failing to realize that crime in the USA has been on the decline since the year 1993. I REPEAT: every year the USA experiences less and less crime, not more.

22. mike47 Banned Banned

Illegal drugs and illegal arms go hand in hand . There are so many drugs and fire arms on the streets that the cops can no longer control their circulation . Is is time to call the army ?.

23. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

bull, anyone can MAKE drugs if you know how. In the case of dope its as simple as getting some seeds and being a decent gardner. Guns are a compleatly differnt matter, you cant MAKE guns effecivly and there for its MUCH easier to stop guns being around than it is drugs.