What exactly is atheism?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Jan Ardena, Aug 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

A mind without a concept? Hmm. Can you give me an example?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

No I cannot.

Thus, my point.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

To lack belief would, in my opinion, imply the absence of any preconception. For that a person would have to lose all sense of perspective or definition. I don't believe that is possible for anything, we conceptualize even what we imagine to be true. Standard atheism is a rejection of those concepts, which makes me wonder about the basis for that rejection. What exactly, according to an atheist would be defined as God?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. John99 Banned Banned

They would ask the same of a theist.

8. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

There is also the problem of what "believe" means.

It seems to me that atheists and theists mean different things when they say "belief" or "believe".

Generally, to "believe" means to "to hold to be true". Some people use it to imply "to agree".
    Theists sometimes have it to mean "to have faith".
    Which are two different things.

I suggest we should abandon using the words "belief", "believer", "believe" for some time, and instead make an effort to phrase what we each mean by using some other words. This will hopefully make communication clearer.

Of course ... People tend to like to appear rational, and we also have the tendency of choice-supportive bias - ie. we will find or make up justifications for a decision after the decision has been already made.

I think most reasons that atheists list as reasons to reject God are such postdecisional rationalizations. Which also explains why directly addressing those "reasons" and showing them to be questionable or even unsupportable doesn't work - as it wasn't those reasons that made the atheist arrive at his atheist position in the first place, and it's possibly not those reasons either that make the atheist remain in his atheist position.

9. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

See above my comment on the meaning of "belief".

Sure. But what when you have many beliefs, competing, even mutually exclusive ones, and there seems to be no resolution of this conflicting multitude in a foreseeable time?

In roundabout, yes.
    But here we get into the problem of how things exists - whether they exists as things an sich selbst, what role does human perception play, how does human perception work ... I think we know the drill by now ...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Why would that be so?

I am not convinced that it is impossible that some people have a realization of God. Perhaps some do. I do not have a realization of God, so I can neither tell who has it nor who doesn't.

Why? Do you think it is impossible that something be both true and useful?

10. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

I don't understand.

11. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

You could argue that since it is impossible to have any conception of God that comes close to the "real thing", all atheists simply lack belief. It's impossible to accept something that can't be quantified in the first place. Even theists only believe in their own conceptions.

12. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

I said above in post 25:

So what to do in such a case?

Why not? Surely, some of the requirements are such that we cannot satisfy them right here on the spot, but "long-time practice and study" is something that is potentially possible to do. And also "death of material body" which is the requirement in some Christian doctrines - "When you die, you will know the whole truth about God" or something to this effect is a possibility.

There might be some things that we might have such knowledge of.
    I realize, I am arguing from a very weak perspective ... But my point is that doing as if we had proven a negative is not right either.

Do expand on this.

13. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

To know what I believe, I would have to know what exactly this I is ...

Perhaps ... What I was trying to get at was that the communication that theists have with atheists, at least here at these forums, is often one where there is little or no common ground established, where atheists tend to persist in their own, non-scriptoral definitions of God, soul, self, and so on. In contrast, two people from the same religious tradition would have quite a different type of discussion as they would both keep in line with the normative descriptions provided by their reference scriptures and other specific guidelines.

14. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Well Jan, although Cris has provided a very nice explanation, which you seem to agree with, I think the definition can be better refined without causing more confusion, in fact, we can give it more clarity.

Not only are there gods to contend with in religion, there are demons, angels, devils, ghostly spirits and all sorts of imps and cherubs, including a talking snake, of all things. And of course, atheists will have a tendency to not believe in those as well. So, the definition requires some updating, we're not strictly dealing with gods.

Cris' definition also has a flaw in that it begins from the position that god IS an entity, but that the entity god is not believed by atheists. Again, this could use some updating.

So, how do we fix it?

Gods and demons and learning to lie are written in scriptures, and scriptures were written by men. Whether or not they are the word of god is another debate, but theists certainly believe them to be.

A 'claim' is a state that is asserted or affirmed as true or existing. Scriptures makes a number of claims that include gods and demons and learning to lie.

So essentially, scriptures can be regarded as a book containing a number of claims, and it is these claims that 'atheists' have a problem believing. They are simply not accepted. And since any given set of scriptures is so widely interpreted by it's followers, we find theists contriving all kinds of claims, hence we cannot accept theirs either.

Perhaps then, we can further define 'atheism' thusly:

"Not accepting the claims of scriptures or theists."

15. Betrayer0fHope MY COHERENCE! IT'S GOING AWAYY Registered Senior Member

theres a clear difference between weak and strong Atheism, some do not believe god exists, others claim to KNOW he doesn't exist.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2008
  16. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

As a starting point, I have no problem at all with Jan's definition of "atheist" as somebody who doesn't believe in gods for whatever reason.

Of course, just as "theist" encompasses many types of belief, "atheist" equal covers many types of belief.

I don't know why so many religious people, especially here, seem to struggle with the concept of atheism.

17. Carcano Valued Senior Member

The struggle really is only about trying to force atheism into the same position as religion...so they can make the same criticisms.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2008
  18. Tht1Gy! Life, The universe, and e... Registered Senior Member

Please cite your sources, as every dictionary I've looked it up in says "It's the belief that there is no god."
    Thx.

19. Tht1Gy! Life, The universe, and e... Registered Senior Member

???
    :bugeye:

20. Vkothii Banned Banned

Can an atheist still know their god, despite believing in a "nonextistent-god"?

21. shaman_ Registered Senior Member

Spot on.

It's hard to attack Atheism as it doesn't make any claims. Theists wishing to do so need to change the definition first.

22. Myles Registered Senior Member

There is no evidence for tooth fairies. Do you entertain the possibility of their existence ? I don't.

Despite claims to the contrary, nobody knows whether god exists. I reject the idea of god for the same reasons that I reject the existence of tooth fairies.

23. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

Because '"atheist" /.../ covers many types of belief' ...

You will have noticed that the vocal atheists tend to put all theists into the same group, as if all theisms would be the same.

In general, atheists do have a tendency to desire to be considered "separate from the religious folk". It appears that atheists have the desire to be considered as a separate group to theists. It's the "we vs. them" social phenomenon again ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.