Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

Might I also point out that TW's vaunted and totally biased evaluation is incorrect:

1. Star Trek Generations: It is clear that not only can Stellar Cartography detect and differentiate the variables for different galactic bodies, the starship's resource can also calculate sector wide gravity changes dependant on the effects of Soran's energy nexus, and further predict the (changes in) movements of everything in the scan range.

Stellar Cartography is evidence in and of itself that Trek sensors are much better than TW wishes they were. Indeed, this is also a Voyager add-on (even though a Stellar Cartography facility isn't part of Voyager's original specs, Voyager's crew clearly had the tech to build Astrometrics). However two more examples...

2. Star Trek TNG: Redemption: Cloaked Romulan vessels can be detected via a network of tachyon sensors (I believe they were tachyon). At any rate, Trek tech includes sensors to defeat methods of cloaking.

3. The Enterprise-D becomes capable of firing a tachyon pulse itself by the end of TNG (All Good Things), in order to scan past temporal interference. Since all crew members retained their memories of the temporal event, it is safe to say that a tetryon scanner is useable as canon. Let's look past the fact that tachyon beams could be excessively dangerous if used on temporal anomalies

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. SkywalkerJedi アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) Registered Senior Member

No, they are all Republic, or CIS designed. The Galactic Republic is fromed during the Expansionist Era, but it went under many changes to shape into the Republic we see in the movies, and CIS+ Republic = Empire. The last change is after the Seventh Battle of Ruusan. When I mean Republic, I ment After Seveth Battle of Ruusan, that still inculdes all superweapon.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. SkywalkerJedi アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) Registered Senior Member

Yes and No.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. SkywalkerJedi アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) Registered Senior Member

Few minuts means alot in battle.

Swamp troopers are both Imperial and Republic. Anything after Order 66 is imperial too.

EU is canon

Want me to bring in Dark Empire?

8. SkywalkerJedi アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) Registered Senior Member

Sorry, I mainly directed that to other people.

9. Flectarn Unregistered User Registered Senior Member

if the star forge was destroyed in 3,500 bby and the battle of Ruusan took place in 1,000 bby. then by your standards they are not part of the same republic

I take it from this you consider the Galactic Republic (pre-empire) and the New Republic (post-empire) to be the same entitiy?

actually from what i've read on wookiepedia, a good chuck of the CIS continued to fight after the republic fell into imperialism.... so CIS+republic doesn't exactly equal Empire

10. SkywalkerJedi アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) Registered Senior Member

More like your brain dead. Star Wars is not losing.

11. Flectarn Unregistered User Registered Senior Member

Not really, as we're talking about strategic speeds here. I guess it would matter if the attacking fleet included a death star, but otherwise existing planarity defenses should be able to hold up until reinforcements arrive. and unless your attacking a fixed position superior strategic speed is kind of like showing up for a party early, you get to prepare stuff, but it's nor very exciting

12. SkywalkerJedi アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) Registered Senior Member

13. SkywalkerJedi アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) Registered Senior Member

Kamino is beyond the Outer Rim, and it got erased from the archives.

So, Star Wars can do more then that. Kamino build a huge army in 10 years by itself. Han Solo made the Falcon military standard himself with chewie.
    So can Star Wars.

14. SkywalkerJedi アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) Registered Senior Member

I never saw the warp drive move as fast as hyperdrives. Warp is slow as snail compared to hyperdrive. We were talking about Transwarp vs Hyperspace.

15. SkywalkerJedi アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) Registered Senior Member

Nope, they allied with the Imperials. Techniclly it is the Republic because Sith Wars is Republic vs Sith Empire.

16. Flectarn Unregistered User Registered Senior Member

yeah.... moreover how does that in anyway negate what i said

17. Flectarn Unregistered User Registered Senior Member

18. SkywalkerJedi アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) Registered Senior Member

19. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

To the first point - I doubt they could "fold jump" anything inside a Federation ship... Federation ships would be protected against "folding" space by their warp fields (which Warps space around the ship) I doubt you could actually make a successful fold inside a warped area of space.

To the point of multiple ships - I don't know... it depends on how long the ships can last once their holtzman shields are penetrated

20. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Skywalker, once you can bring something NOT overruled by the movies that even begins to THREATEN Star Trek, I'll listen to you again.

21. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

And, funny thing, both Jedi and TW have IGNORED my PROOF that Star Wars neutronium is NOT Star Trek Neutronium...

Clones much? THey BOTH ignore facts that directly contradict what they state, they BOTH hate to admit when they are wrong, and they BOTH try to GROSSLY exagerate what Star Wars weapons are capable of...

I call BS and Clone, someone do an IP Traceroute on these two bozos...

22. Saquist Banned Banned

It's not only that. TWSCOTT is misrepresenting the Enterprise D's sensor abilites. Star Ships sensors work like Submarine sensors. They are both passive and active. TNG (The Hunted) showed here that the ship's passive detection could not see the space craft powered down in heavy electromagnetic radiation. Once they realized the trick an active scan revealed the craft. If the trick had worked against passive scans then he could have stayed there forever and the Enterprise wouldn't have found the ship.

In Comparison...The Star Destroyer Avenger immediately lost the Falcon as it came to a stop directly behind the senor dome. Add negative is that it was not even a high radiation enviorment. Another Negative is that they couldn't detect the Falcon at all with an active scan.

Trek has the clear advantage.

23. Saquist Banned Banned

Not if the Federation has the clear offensive advantage.
    Federation installations are on magnitude of 3 to 5 times more powerful than the the Galaxy class ship. Which I remind you displayed a firepower up to 60 times that of the standard antifighter turbo laser emplacement.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.