Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tuberculatious Banned Banned

Don't snipers target specific areas like the brain stem or the middle of the chest if the brain stem is not available (americans).

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

Incendiary rounds are meant to take out light vehicles. Actually it is considered illegal by Geneva to use incendiary rounds against infantry because as you can imagine it is a pretty f***** up way to die.

Anyways those DU rounds an A-10 carries is more lethal against tanks and light vehicles than incendiary rounds are.

So why aould they carry incendiary rounds if their standard load out is superior?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

Yah but the problem with the barret fifty cal, is that it is good against vehicles, but the projectile is incredibly heavy meaning it is harder to hit a target further than 1500 meters, not impossible but when time is of the essence you dont want to be caught dead with that thing.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

A DU round (or indeed any solid penetrator) versus soft skin will not, as a discrete round, be as effective as an HE/I one. There's a lot of places in, say, a large cargo truck that the round could just punch a hole in the body work. If it ignites and/ or explodes...
    Fewer shots for more effect against soft skin, and very light armour.

Meh, and the Hungarians (I think) have a 20mm "sniper rifle" (or even the FN BRG 15) - how's that for difficult to bug out with?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Nasor Valued Senior Member

Kittamaru is fairly immune to standard logic or any sort of formal debating; he pretty much just makes shit up, waits to see if anyone calls him on his bullshit, and then immediately tries to change the subject if and when he's shown to be wrong. His attempt to post screen shots showing a SD bridge tower being destroyed by an asteroid impact, when in fact it showed no such thing, was pretty typical.

However it's very amusing that even when he gets caught time and again making up bullshit, after someone gives a thorough, logical explanation of why he's wrong, he still likes to accuse his opponent of not using logic, making things up, being stupid, etc - even though he's the one who just got caught making up bullshit.

9. Algernon Registered Senior Member

My bad, they are mostly 7.62mm spec.

I guess the first thing that popped into my head was the m107 Barette.

10. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

It does sort of stick out doesn't it?
    Such a huge MoFo it tends to overshadow everything else.

11. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Yes, Star Trek built one... it was bigger than the Death Star. It held a fucking STAR inside of it... it was called the Dyson Sphere.

Remember that thing?

Oh yeah.

Pwnt.

12. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Actually, you're pretty amusing... almost as much so as Scott, but I'll give you another chance as you have shown, in the past, the ability to reason and make somewhat intuitive judgments.

13. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Forget the 20mm... the US military is currently examining an 80mm High Impulse rifle... that mofo is scary shit...

14. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Proof that the ISD bridge tower is FUCKING GONE:

Note the location of the ISD bridge tower- you can't see anything behind it...

IMPACT

AS THE DUST SETTLES:

NOTE - NOW YOU CAN SEE THE WINDOWS AND ENGINES OF THE EXECUTOR THRU THE DEBRIS FIELD - ERGO, THE BRIDGE TOWER IS FUCKING GONE! You can even see a large piece of debris floating around where the tower SHOULD be!

And no, it didn't move... it wasn't moving that fast pre-impact for something like that to happen... in fact, if it moved any significant distance, at some point it should have been VISIBLE as it passed outside the dust cloud, and THEN off screen... however, we did not see that.

It's GONE.

Nasor, Scott, I will concede that the bridge survived if you can come up with SOME fashion of a logical argument against it.

15. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

aren't there still sniper rifles in the old "long" 7.62mm? that thing had high muzzle velocity if i recall. don't know about the stopping power though. they were made for riflemen tactics so emphasis was on long range.

TWS, i did consider adding the fighter wings to the ISD in the simulator. i even scripted the bombs on Tie-Bombers my using limited charge short range pulse weapons. i just haven't decided wether to make them independant entities or part of the shuttle launch framework. i fear the AI will not use them if i add them to the shuttles. at least not in the proper way.

Nasor, well near everyone that has wached the movie can tell you the tower is not there. some hav proposed it got "detached" in stead of destroyed, but the fact is where it used to stand, now only dust remains.

sorry for being absent for so long, but i'm buisy as hell

16. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

Dude, most missile launchers carried by infantry aren't that large.

An 80 mm is the same size as the Panzer's main gun in WWII.

Also, incendiary rounds detonate when they hit a solid thing. This is okay for soft skinned vehicles because often enough the thin armor wont detonate it until the round has passed inside of the vehicle.

But with tanks, the round detonates on the outside and is stopped by the tank armor a lot of the time. So effectively an incendiary round is not effective towards armor.

But depleted uranium core rounds of the avenger are about 2 pounds each and half a foot long, when those things hit the tank at 3500 feet per second, they have enough momentum or as oli would like me to say "kinetic Energy" that they literally rip apart the tank armor they hit.

They WILL pierce that tank armor, and when 50 rounds hit a tank and 99% of them pierce the armor, there is not a snowball's chance in hell that tank will survive.

17. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

Nope...this is your idea, not used in the show. Data himself quoted his design parameters as a humanoid mimicry for their comfort, not ever mentioning that it was meant for his own development.

Once more (I'd mentioned in a previous post), when Soong called Data and Lore back home, he stated on screen that Data had developed far beyond what he himself ever expected.

18. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

Well yah sure if that person is standing still and you are aiming from 50 feet away. If the person is standing still you shoot the chest or the head. If you hit the chest with that size round that person will fall over or be stunned and you can shoot again.

But if your using a 50 calibre sniper rifle, it doesnt matter where you hit him that guy will be dead, because even if you hit and appendage, that round will literaly rip that part of the body off, and you cannot deal with that shock, trauma, and blood loss and keep the guy alive.

19. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2040735568929942964&q=76mm&pl=true

Trust me... it's real - it's 76mm, but none the less

And the incendiary rounds are for LIGHTLY armored vehicles mate. Not tanks.

20. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Not true - people can (and have) survived being hit with 50 caliber rounds...

21. fedecell Registered Member

The universe Starwas mark two generations both overcome to the other ones

22. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

er... can you try that again fedecell? Not sure what you mean

23. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

Name one.
    Especially if they were hit by the incediary rounds for that sniper rifle.

And also, incendiary rounds are meant to pierce light vehicle but not tanks. If you have a gun that can tear a tank to pieces why the hell would you use a weaker round for a lighter vehicle?

YOU WOULD NOT. You would use the better armor piercer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.