Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

Update on this one, there are at least two phaser assemblies (and I imagine for the symmetry of design, an equivalent set on the opposite side) at the base of the Intrepid Class. I can provide a couple screenshots of Voyager firing from below (S3, Before and After).

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

Grey cells? What's that supposed to mean?:shrug:

And I've seen the movies enough thank you, the first three where great, but the prequals suck, and really, when it all boils down, the movies are shallow. Yes, they are very, very shallow. George took from every Western and Martial Arts movie of the time, and the really only great thing in his movies where lightsabers, and the special effects.

That's it, aside form that, his movies are nothing but eye candy plastered onto a cheap story with sub-par acting that only a child could fully enjoy. So sorry, but the movies aren't that great. They're amusing to some extent, and the first set is like a classic now, and that's great, but the movies, when you really look at them, are shallow.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

Well, for the time it was pretty good, but when you consider Episode III still sucked and there was no great space battle...well, it kinda leaves one desiring something better.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

If I recall correctly, Star Wars fans have been claiming a planetary shield for Alderaan for years just because of some really poor special effects. No other reason is given. And no, my beef is with the story and the acting...and in that regard, Star Wars is kind of shallow. Nice first three movies, but its still shallow.

8. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

Oh, I realize that.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I just thought since I was at it I might as well toss it in. Again, the first three movies aren't bad per say, even with the sudden change in romance and some character relations, they still did a good job and Darth Vader claiming to be Luke's father was one of the greatest twists in any movie I had ever seen as a child. Some great stuff, I'm just calling it how it really is.

9. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

As supossed ST isn't shallow ? Dude i love ST almost as much as SW. I'm sorry to say I don't know this "Andromeda" some people talk about, but i bet when i see it, i'll love it to.

But Voyager is the always the same. It has the same plots as the original serie en Next generation. Just new species, better weapons, always humanity that prevales.
    Dawn in the original serie you knew who was gonna die in a few moments (Always the new guy).

Have you really seen the tech in the original series?

In fact it's a long time ago since I saw some new and fresh sci-fi.
    I like firefly though

10. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Uhm... if humanity DIDN'T prevail, the show would end... heh. So it's kind of important that that happens.

Trek has variety in different missions, species look nicely unique and have learnable tounges (yes, Klingon is an actual language you can learn if you so wish) and other such niceties that, when Star Wars was first planned they didn't need nor were able to afford.

To be honest, when the first Wars movie was released, that was GOING to be it. It was so popular, though, that a second was made, then a third. There wasn't a lot of planning ahead because of this, so some of the plots seem to appear and vanish into thin air *shrugs*

11. Saquist Banned Banned

Your assumptions on Trek vs Star Wars is very incohesive and incoherent. One area of your explanations does match the canon or even other areas of your explanation.

It's the sign of error.

12. Warrior61 I saw the Light Registered Senior Member

First of all this thing is easy. Answer this question please. How many star trek humans/aliens have lightsabers? None. So yea. Go Star Wars.

13. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

How many Star Wars humans/aliens have weapons able to vaporize a 50 foot square area in front of the weapon in a 3 second shot?

None

Lightsabre < Phaser on lvl 16 wide angle firing trajectory. you can't block something that is a solid WALL of death

That and if a lightsaber hit a Trek shield, it'd short circuit

14. USS Athens Very Special Senior Member Valued Senior Member

Screw melee fighting, just blow them up from a distance. Why not just take out an old-fashoned six-shooter and kill a jedi/sith? Who can menuveare something at the speed of light? Not even a jedi.

15. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

uhm... bullet =/= speed of light

It's a little under (sometimes over) the speed of sound.

Now, a MiniGun ala the A10 warthog... that's supersonic AND a fucktonne of lead...

16. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

Well played, but then again, how many lightsabers can destroy half a building? Because a Phaser set to level 16 on widebeam can.

17. USS Athens Very Special Senior Member Valued Senior Member

I have to say it, most of the people on this thread are for Star Trek right now. TW Scott, is, or at least was this biggest SW fan against ST, but only a few others are in this now.

18. USS Athens Very Special Senior Member Valued Senior Member

Yeah! Let's bring in an A-10 Thunderbolt II (Warthog is a nickname for it), VULCAN CANNON!!!! Think of how many Storm Troopers, Jedi, and Sith you could kill with one of those babies.

19. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Avenger cannon.
    Minigun is 7.62mm
    Vulcan is 20mm
    The Warthog carries a 30mm.

20. USS Athens Very Special Senior Member Valued Senior Member

MISTER SCOTT! What are you :m:smoking :m

You do not love and walk with Gene's vision, you criticize it to the extreme! No ST fan would do so! So, in name of all the people you have bullshitted on, I say your on some real big bullshit yourself!:bugeye:

21. Fettman #1 Bounty Hunter Registered Senior Member

22. USS Athens Very Special Senior Member Valued Senior Member

I have also evalutated that SW ignores the laws of physics, like in the asteroid chase on SW II AOTC, Jango used a "Sonic Boom" weapon, but first of all, a sonic boom is created by the rapid heating and expansion of AIR. And sound has been proven not to exist in a vacuum.

23. Fettman #1 Bounty Hunter Registered Senior Member

Rabid! Remember its Sifi its not real.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.