Industrial Society Destroys Mind and Environment

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by sushil yadav, Jul 20, 2005.

1. sushil yadav Registered Senior Member

slowing down of thoughts, slowing down of breathing rate, self awareness, self consciousness, superconsciousness, self-realization, thoughtlessness, peace, turiya, samadhi.

These states of mind were quite hard to achieve even in pre-industrial society when pace of life was slow and life was simpler.

These states are much more difficult to achieve in today's fast-paced, overstimulated society where attention spans are down to nanoseconds, microseconds and milliseconds.

These states are much more difficult to achieve in "Industrial Society" where most citizens are using hundreds and thousands of consumer goods. Every consumer good is made by killing animals, trees, air, water and land - directly or indirectly. Can peaceful states of mind exist in a society where most citizens are serial killers of nature - where the per-capita destruction of animals, trees, air, water and land is hundreds of times - thousands of times greater than that of pre-industrial society?

Can citizens of Industrial Society get peace?

Do the citizens of Industrial Society deserve peace, nirvana, moksha?

After destroying the environment, after destroying the very things that created and sustained life on earth, humans are going to get punishment - not peace.

sushil_yadav

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. swarm Registered Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. sushil yadav Registered Senior Member

So sharks are still dangerous.

Every year sharks kill four people around the world.

Every year man kills 40 million sharks.

And then man says sharks are dangerous.

So sharks are still dangerous? - great thinking - carry on.

And mosquitoes are the new villains of the world. How many people do mosquitoes kill? Humans have killed more humans than that. Humans have killed millions and millions of humans through war and violence, by selling cigarettes and alcohol, by poisoning the air, water and land with thousands of toxic chemicals..... and by several other means.

Humans have decimated millions of other species. Did mosquitoes do that?

Humans have cut down most of the forests. Did mosquitoes do that?

Humans have poisoned the air, rivers and oceans, the land. Did mosquitoes do that?

Humans have decimated fish in the oceans. Did mosquitoes do that?

Humans have created billions of tonnes of waste of all kinds - metal, plastic, electronic. The entire planet has been turned into a landfill and garbage dump. Did mosquitoes do that?

Humans have built 50,000 nuclear warheads and created millions of tonnes of hazardous nuclear waste which will remain highly radioactive for the next 30,000 years. Did mosquitoes do that?

sushil_yadav

Last edited: Sep 26, 2009
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. sushil yadav Registered Senior Member

This person has no concern for nature, no compassion for animals, trees, air, water and land - the very things which created and sustained all life on earth - and he comes for discussion on an Eastern Philosophy forum. This joker is millions of light years away from understanding eastern philosophy.

slowing down of thoughts, slowing down of breathing rate, self awareness, self consciousness, superconsciousness, self-realization, thoughtlessness, peace, turiya, samadhi.

These states of mind were quite hard to achieve even in pre-industrial society when pace of life was slow and life was simpler.

These states are much more difficult to achieve in today's fast-paced, overstimulated society where attention spans are down to nanoseconds, microseconds and milliseconds.

These states are much more difficult to achieve in "Industrial Society" where most citizens are using hundreds and thousands of consumer goods. Every consumer good is made by killing animals, trees, air, water and land - directly or indirectly. Can peaceful states of mind exist in a society where most citizens are serial killers of nature - where the per-capita destruction of animals, trees, air, water and land is hundreds of times - thousands of times greater than that of pre-industrial society?

Can citizens of Industrial Society get peace?

Do the citizens of Industrial Society deserve peace, nirvana, moksha?

After destroying the environment, after destroying the very things that created and sustained life on earth, humans are going to get punishment - not peace.

sushil_yadav

Last edited: Sep 26, 2009
  8. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

I simply have little patience for socio-political emo-pimps like yourself.

You're a hack propagandist of the lowest form.

You demonstrate only a horrifically shallow conception of philosophy.

Feigning substance is obviously all you have to offer.

9. Enmos Valued Senior Member

What is perfection?

10. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Gods will. Not gods as plural.

So God makes us suffer on purpose huh?

11. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

Being at one with the universe and each other and for the greater good, perpetuating and promoting life. Do you feel the separation and isolation now? I feel it so strongly. I see it and experience its detrimental effects...ultimately death and suffering until then. Perfection is complete freedom.

I was thinking last night that its like we're all trapped in our own cages. Right next to each other and looking at each other but unable to fully connect or commune. All anyone really wants in this life is that connection, that communion...truth and love. But our cages make it impossible. The frustration that this denial brings causes us pain, and we lash out, and hurt ourselves and each other.

The cage is our flesh in its corrupt state, and one day we will be set free.

12. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

Its a learning experience for those who are willing to learn. The way I understand it is that god doesn't want us to commune in ignorance, but willfully, and through understanding that's brought about by experience.

13. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Well, let him bring on the experience. I'm still waiting..

14. Enmos Valued Senior Member

What does 'being at one with the universe and each other' mean?

I wish! They are everywhere!

I don't understand the latter part of that sentence; 'until then'?

What do you mean by that? I think you already have that.

I'll settle for being carefree.
    What do you mean exactly by 'trapped in our own cages'?

'Our flesh' is what we are.. :shrug:

15. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

You are experiencing it right now.

16. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I'm experiencing God?? Ugh.. how do I tell? :bugeye:

17. John99 Banned Banned

people can always go where life is simpler. why dont you do that?

18. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

communion. to be in sync. to not transgress law. sharing ourselves completely in truth and love. no lies, no hate, no fear. to always be with the universe instead of against it.

i mean until death. you suffer and then you die.

oh hell no. we are all slaves to sin. we are not free. come on enmos. to say that we are free in this world and in these bodies that cause us so much pain is ridiculous.

don't settle.

our bodies...a lack of communion that is brought about by this defect in us...sin. it keeps us apart.

and it is corrupt.

19. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

i was referring to life, not god.

20. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I get this: "no lies, no hate, no fear," but the rest is still mighty hazy to me.

Do you even enjoy life? You seem so sad..

Hey, you are free to sin even..
    What you want is to be completely controlled. That's not freedom.

Why not? How are you even going to enjoy life if you don't settle for some things?

And "lack of communion" is what? Not believing in God?

Corrupt? It is what it is.

21. Enmos Valued Senior Member

So how do I gain communion with God through experiencing life?

22. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

i think some people refer to it as a collective conscious?? every action has a reaction so, your actions can either be in tune and in balance with the universe and promote life, or transgression to the law would cause imbalance and destruction/suffering/death.

of course i do. i'm not sad, but i am not going to pretend like we don't all suffer on a constant basis. we do. otherwise we would have a perfect existence, living in constant and pure joy, perfect harmony, and complete freedom. that doesn't happen on this planet that i'm aware of.

that's the whole point. i don't want sin. based on my experience, i know that i would much rather not suffer from it.

suffering is not ok with me. i want it abolished.

no it's a lack of communion, with god and with each other. communion is a complete and total sharing in love and truth.

yes, and it's obviously corrupt.

23. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

you don't necessarily, not perfect restored communion without the hinderance of sin. in this life, we live is a kind of quasi-communion with god and with each other. it's hindered by what the bible calls sin, which is inherently in our flesh, like a birth defect. before the fall of man, we didn't experience suffering or death because we were in perfect communion. now since the fall, we experience the effects of sin...suffering and death, and so now we know good and evil as god does. so what do you want? what do you choose? wouldn't you like an existance without suffering and death? well, based on our experience, we can realize what is wrong with us, that there is indeed something terribly wrong with us, and if given a way, we can choose what is good. we can choose truth and love and life, over lies, and fear, and death. so by experiencing this life, you can choose to want restored communion and a sinless existence.